Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #211
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Here's the state of the new bike right now, after a week. I negotiated with the dealer to include what I consider some essentials: springs for both the shock and the forks for my weight including proper sag setup, hand guards, frame guards, radiator guards, EFI map switch, lights including brake light, and he even through in my race number graphics since he also owns a graphics shop. Sweet.

I removed the rear rotor guard off my '07 450 EXC and swapped it over to the 'berg. That's the great thing about Husaberg and KTMs, a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

I replaced the stock chain guide with one of better quality:

Word is the fuel gets a little warm with the way the exhaust is routed under the tank. So I applied some reflective heat shielding to the underside of the tank in the hot area to help keep the gas cool:

I backed out the chain adjusters and put on a good coat of anti-sieze:

The chain was a little long, so I removed a link:

Speaking of interchangeable, I swapped over the Akrapovic pipe from my KTM as well, I was real happy to learn it would bolt right on.

I also trimmed the bars down to around 30 inches for the tight woods.

And I installed a Rekluse.

I took care to break it in well, 3 20 minute heat cycles, up and down through the gears, getting some good back pressure to help seat the rings - long cool-down in between. I dumped the factory break-in oil after 1 hour, cleaned the oil screens, and changed the filter, refilled with a good synthetic. I then continued to break-in for 3 more hours by the book, dumped the oil again, cleaned the screens, and changed the filter again after that. And that's where it stands right now - ready to go.

Here she is as I left her tonight, pretty much ready to go except for gas:

I will take a little spin tomorrow to make sure it's good to go for the race Sunday. There's not too much else that I would do, I think it's ready.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 10:00 PM
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #212
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Looks great NB. How'd the Rekluse install go? Does the Rekluse feel like the 1 on the Katoom? Best of luck tomorrow.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #213
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,121
NICE!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #214
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
Looks great NB. How'd the Rekluse install go? Does the Rekluse feel like the 1 on the Katoom? Best of luck tomorrow.
Thanks. Yes, the Rekluse feels the same as on the KTM and the install went fine.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #215
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
What's up with that hand me down KTM rear brake guard...sendin mixed messages there Bro.

See ya in a month.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #216
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's not a hand-me-down if you give it to yourself.

Just took a little spin, man this bike feels awesome! I'm sure like all bikes it will have some irritating quirks which I will discover as time goes on, but my overall impression is that it handles and feels pretty unbelievable. I love it. It may not make me any faster, but it sure is a joy to ride.

Looking forward to when you get back, TW, and you pick up your 'Berg. Then "The Flying 'H' Farm" will have a whole new meaning.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #217
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,809
.....so freakin jealous..... but yer going to have a blast!! I know the bike is designed to kill it off road, but it would be so hard to take something that nice looking and thrash it!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #218
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
I did the same with the heat shield on the underside the IMS tank I had and it lasted about a 1/2 season. I think between the heat and the washing the adhesive starts to give out then the dirt gets in there to make it worse.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #219
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 373
nobrakes.....I tried to find you but couldn't

Man...it was about 100 degrees there today, I stood on the overpass and watched some bikes go by for awhile, looked like half the guys didn't even have t-shirts on, just chest protectors, and the guys that just came off the trail back in the pits looked like they got run over by a train...just brutal conditions.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #220
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back from the race, hobie1dog, you are right, it was HOT HOT HOT. Sorry I missed you. I did meet Blur, though, he beat me by two positions - or about 4 minutes in the 1.5 hour race. Great job, Blur, it was good meeting you and putting a face with the name. Are you going to be at Brown Jug in two weeks?

I LOVED the bike, it rides great. Still, though, my results weren't any better than normal, even though I felt like I was moving along at a faster pace, cornering better, able to carry more speed and initiate turns later and more easily. At least for the first lap or two until the heat started to take its toll. I know I slacked off on laps 3 and 4 - I was really feeling the heat by then, and trying to stay hydrated, but it was hard. If I was able to maintain pace for the whole race, I'd be doing a lot better, I think. Somehow I've got to fix that. Even so, I have a suspicion that everyone else is getting faster, too, as the season goes on, because I know I'm putting down faster laps than prior races where I got better finishes. I've got to figure this out somehow.

Eatpasta - it's not thrashing, it's just using it for what it was designed for. Trust me, these bikes will hold up. By "these," I mean competition dirt bikes in general. They are designed to take a beating with minimal effect, as long as they are maintained, and the consumables replaced periodically. The real shame would be to get a bike like this and make it a garage queen or to only ride the easy trails.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #221
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Great job, Blur, it was good meeting you and putting a face with the name.
Thanks! I enjoyed meeting you too, NoBrakes!

Quote:
Are you going to be at Brown Jug in two weeks?
Yes, sir!

Quote:
The real shame would be to get a bike like this and make it a garage queen or to only ride the easy trails.
Amen! Your bike is awesome. Ride it hard!

I don't know if you remember but that was me that rode behind you for a while on the 2nd or 3rd lap. I was doing it so that you could have some video of you riding! I was afraid I was getting on your nerves but realized that you probably couldn't hear my stock pipe (with spark arrestor still installed) over that awesome thump of your Akropovic

But I just checked my camera and there's no video!!!
I guess I wasn't successful getting it turned on.

See you July 11th
Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #222
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 373
nobrakes....I did find your truck though, so I knew you were there. Where is the Brown Jug held?

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #223
joepy50
n00b

Oddometer: 3
NoBrake,
I sent you a text from the parking lot. I wasn't sure if you were there yet. We had to leave early b/c one of the boys has asthma real bad and couldn't deal with the heat and air quality. Course looked real fast and fun, and I'm gonna put that one one the list for next year.
Joey
joepy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #224
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536

If it were not for "that" motorcycle,your workspace looks just like mine!
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #225
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

After an hour of clean up, I can generally keep my bench clean for a good 15 minutes before it looks like that again.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F