Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #226
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Nobrakes - how did you do as far as hydration? did you run out?

I carried a lot more than I thought I needed. When I took the bladder out of my CamelBak today, I was surprised to see how little I had left!

The guys parked next to me told me they ran out within the first two laps. Needing water and not being able to get anything out is a sickening feeling.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #227
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Round 7 - Denver Classic

It is definitely summer in central North Carolina. 100 degrees was the call. One of the guys on the line said his thermometer in the parking area said 109! That was under his EZ-Up. Out on the starting line, the heat was suffocating, like being in a furnace. Inhaling the hot air and dust into your lungs was made it worse, and the shade by the tree line gave little relief.

10 seconds.

*cough*cough*gag*hack*

So that's how the starts went. The heat was brutal. I couldn't wait to get moving and get some air flowing over me. The dust at the start was bad, but most of the rest of the course had tree cover, so that meant shade, and moisture in the ground, so the track was actually really nice. It got rutted up in some places for the afternoon race, but overall it was excellent.

We had a cool stream crossing in this race, which was under a large bridge and seemed to be *the* spot to go for a lot of spectators. Shady and cool, compared to other areas:

The kids loved it.

The crossing wasn't hard as long as you were easy on the gas. It was hard rock underneath with only a few inches of water and the rocks were a little slick, but the other side after you exited the stream was slick as ice with the mud and rocks.

Some spectators were dowsing us with water here. That felt great. One lady who was an angel sent from heaven got me good with some icy cold water on the last lap, I think it was. That felt awesome!

My race went something like this.

As I mentioned, the starting area was brutally hot. I couldn't wait for the race to get underway so I could get some air flow. I was sweating like crazy, and with all the gear on and the very hot air entering my lungs, it was getting difficult to breathe. I was starting to feel claustrophobic, even though I'm not.

One thing about the new Husaberg, it doesn't seem to fire up very quickly. The dealer gave me a tip for dead engine starts which was to pull the clutch, go full throttle, then back off just a little bit, then hit the starter and be ready to go. I practiced that earlier in the day, but couldn't get it to start reliably. The most reliable start was no throttle until the engine fired, and then take off. Unfortunately, it takes 3 or 4 cranks of the engine to fire it up. Contrast that to my son's 200 XC-W two stroke kick start where it's fired and moving forward before the first kick even gets 3/4 of the way through the stroke.

Anyway, I didn't get a great start, but it wasn't too horrible. I think I was about mid-pack. I got through the dust, and was following a guy on a Suzuki and was wearing white t-shirt. The course opened up just a little bit and there was a lot of dust again and I couldn't see very well, so I backed it off a little bit but noticed the yellow bike in front take off fast through the dust. Then, the trail entered the trees again, and all I saw was fenders going in directions they shouldn't be, and a massive swirl of even more dust. The fella in front of me hit a tree at the tree line and endoed. I slammed on the brakes so I didn't run over him, and just hoped the guys behind me did the same while I braced for rear impact. Fortunately, the guys behind were paying attention as well, and we avoided a massive pile-up. There were people around to help the guy who crashed, and he got himself off the track under his own power, so I went ahead and kept going. I hope he was all right.

It took me a little bit to get used to the handling of the new bike. Even though I rode it for about 3 hours the weekend before, I still needed time to adjust, and get warmed up to the trail and conditions. After a while, I started to get into the groove and was doing pretty well. During the first lap, I think I gave up maybe 3 positions to faster riders in my class, but still felt like I was doing OK. At the end of the first lap, I was in 11th place out of 18 riders. Not too bad. The bike was handling really great, and I felt decent, despite the heat. But in the later laps, the heat was really starting to get to me and I felt myself slipping. I depleted my 70 oz camel back during the race, and it wasn't enough. Heat and hydration were factors, but I thought I had prepared for that, spending the past 3 weeks jogging 4 miles a day in the mid-day NC heat and hydrating the whole week before. That still wasn't enough to overcome the conditions.

At the end of the day, I finished 15th place in my class, or 130 out of 181 riders. So, fairly consistent with some of my other races.

At this time, I must say that I'm getting a little frustrated with the results. Each time I go out, I'm thinking of how to improve, what I need to do to last the distance, and maintain a faster pace. Yet each time, I'm not seeing an appreciable improvement. It's possible everyone else is getting faster, too, as the season goes on. Most everyone there are repeat racers. I think most of it is fitness. I've watched my lap times over the past 7 races, and my first lap is almost always the fastest. Everything else, being equal, later laps should be faster, but the first lap is the first time I've seen the course and am riding a little bit tentatively in some sections where you don't know what's coming up. But in laps 2, 3, and 4, I've seen it before and should be going faster. So I think it's coming down to fitness and being able to sprint the entire race. I think that is what it's going to take to get consistent top 10 finishes in my class. I think that's definitely what the top 5 are doing. Fitness aside, I doubt I actually have the skills to hang with the top 5. But I think I do for the top 10, but I need to maintain 1st lap pace for the whole race duration. Somehow.

The helmet cam of the first lap should be up soon.

So here's the new bike after the first race. Still looks pretty good, eh, Eatpasta? Again, I can't say enough about this bike, it did great. I did have it on the "aggressive" map. Next time I might experiment with one of the softer maps and see how that feels.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 09:45 PM
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #228
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
Nobrakes - how did you do as far as hydration? did you run out?

I carried a lot more than I thought I needed. When I took the bladder out of my CamelBak today, I was surprised to see how little I had left!

The guys parked next to me told me they ran out within the first two laps. Needing water and not being able to get anything out is a sickening feeling.
I used all mine and wanted more. It was rough out there for sure. The next race will likely be similar if it was like it was last year - Brown Jug, in Union South Carolina. It may perhaps be even hotter, if that is possible.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #229
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Helmet cam:

http://www.vimeo.com/12935163

2010 NCHSA RD 7 - DENVER CLASSIC from bsd512 on Vimeo.

First lap of the 2010 NCHSA Round 7 Hare Scramble - Denver Classic. It was brutally hot for this race, also my first race on my new bike.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #230
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Good stuff, Nobrakes!!!!

At the end of the video, you said something about "being 17th or 18th". You were wrong....... YOU WERE 11TH!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #231
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Blur! Yeah, it's a little hard to hear, after I passed the scoring display, I said I was in 11th out of 17 or 18 in my class.

I think I got where you passed me on one of the later laps. Did you have any numbers on your bike? What color is your helmet?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #232
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Thanks Blur! Yeah, it's a little hard to hear, after I passed the scoring display, I said I was in 11th out of 17 or 18 in my class.
DOH! Sorry - didn't hear the "11th"
(and I gotta figure out how to read that dang board......)

Quote:
I think I got where you passed me on one of the later laps. Did you have any numbers on your bike? What color is your helmet?
Nope, no numbers. I was riding a CRF250X, red pants, red jersey (gotta wear red to keep the sponsorship money flowing ), a red-white-and-black helmet with camera mounted on the left, Leatt brace and a dark green Camelbak under my clear chest protector.

Speaking of the Leatt brace......
Sunday was the first time I ever wore it. I spent about an hour adjusting it. I put on all my gear about 5 times to get a feel for it. Everything seemed perfect. After the race started, I tried to stand up and discovered I couldn't lift my head high enough to look down the trail!! Arrrgh!!

I bet I only stood up MAYBE a half mile out of the 22 we rode. As soon as I got home, I adjusted the rear shelf of the Leatt all the way down. It ain't gonna happen again!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #233
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
Good write up on the race. You are right about the other guys getting faster as well. I got a good start, probably 6 or 7 off the line, didn't drop the bike once and ran 4 very consistent laps (I think they were all in the 21 minute range). It was hot, but I had properly hydrated and didn't feel the effects during the race. So, I was a little disappointed to finish 11th out of 18 and 91st overall. I thought my consistent pace and the heat would have landed me between 5th and 8th. I am not sure what happened with the results. I crossed the finish in 10th, the final scoring had me posted as 10th after the protest period and awards were given out. But when I check on the website, I am listed as 11th and dropped from 90th to 91 overall.

Nobrakes, I looked for you again but only found your bike on the line. I line up on the row in front of you (row 7). I did see you in the parking lot when you were leaving, I waved, you waved, but you had no idea who I was. See you at the next one.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #234
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Great thread my friend!!!
Love the Berg.

Ah,,,was the guy that bailed in front of you on the Suzie,just wearing a T-shirt,and no roost guard?
I was just wonder'n how he got past inspection like that.

Did i say great job on the thread?

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #235
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,629
Great video NB. Bike looks great...interesting exhaust note compared to the old Katoom. Most important thing is to take it nice and easy...improvement will come as you get used to the bike.

Here's what we do for fitness out at the Flyin "H" Farm...http://crossfitmobile.blogspot.com/2...per-video.html

Living and ridin through you for the next month, but I'll see ya soon.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #236
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Great thread my friend!!!
Love the Berg.
Thanks awm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Ah,,,was the guy that bailed in front of you on the Suzie,just wearing a T-shirt,and no roost guard?
Inspection?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #237
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
So everything they say about you southern boys is true.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #238
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer13
Good write up on the race. You are right about the other guys getting faster as well. I got a good start, probably 6 or 7 off the line, didn't drop the bike once and ran 4 very consistent laps (I think they were all in the 21 minute range). It was hot, but I had properly hydrated and didn't feel the effects during the race. So, I was a little disappointed to finish 11th out of 18 and 91st overall. I thought my consistent pace and the heat would have landed me between 5th and 8th. I am not sure what happened with the results. I crossed the finish in 10th, the final scoring had me posted as 10th after the protest period and awards were given out. But when I check on the website, I am listed as 11th and dropped from 90th to 91 overall.

Nobrakes, I looked for you again but only found your bike on the line. I line up on the row in front of you (row 7). I did see you in the parking lot when you were leaving, I waved, you waved, but you had no idea who I was. See you at the next one.
For sure, wanderer13! SC should be another hot one.

Sounds like you had a decent race, at least you were pretty consistent in your laps. Everyone else must be stepping it up a little bit, too. Are we going to have to get on Tarheel Wheeler's crossfit program? I gotta do something. Here are my lap times:

Lap 1: 20:58
Lap 2: 23:16
Lap 3: 24:04
Lap 4: 24:33

If I would have been able to maintain my 21 minute 1st lap pace for all 4 laps, that would have shaved almost 9 minutes off my finish time and put me in around 8th or 9th in my class and better than 90th overall. Difference of 6 or 7 class positions and more than 40 overall positions. So it makes a big difference when you look at it like that.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #239
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's Blur, living up to his namesake , captured from my helmet cam:

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #240
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
EEnspection? We don't need no stinkin' eenspection!

Quote:
Here's Blur, living up to his namesake .

Thanks, NB!!!!

Pictures are up at http://www.bluejackalphoto.com/ and http://www.passion4dirt.com/