Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #241
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,981
Sumbitch, 100+ with the humidity you guys have? That's nuts. Your frustration about not improving your finish, just be patient. I'll tell you the single biggest thing that will get you finishing better is getting a better start. You already have 2 strikes against you when your sitting on the line cranking, then trying to fight through the dust. Hopefully you can get the routine down.

Congrats on the new ride, the Bergs are pretty cool looking.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #242
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Thanks Mike! Actually, in comparing my lap times to those of some others in my class, my fastest lap actually matched one of the laps of the guy that finished 2nd place in our class. So maybe there's hope after all, if I can just do that consistently, which seems to be the key. The guys up front are putting in their fast laps consistently from start to finish.

So at least figuring it out a little bit gives me a goal to work towards. Fitness and consistency.

Sounds easy, doesn't it?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #243
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's another photo from the race - me on the new 'berg, this is just passed the scoring area on the 2nd lap and is another one from Rae Atwood - http://bluejackalphoto.com . Blur and Wanderer13, check out her gallery from the race, you guys might find some good photos you want to save.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #244
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
... but realized that you probably couldn't hear my stock pipe (with spark arrestor still installed) over that awesome thump of your Akropovic

About that awesome thump ... I made it a little less awesome tonight.

For those curious as to what's inside their exhaust:

New packing installed:

My favorite quote from the Kawasaki service manual - "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

Sounds better now, at least I think so.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #245
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,981
Will your bike start easily in neutral? On the 505 I had to start in neutral with the clutch in and put it in 1st when (if) it started. On the 525 I found that warming it up too much would sometimes cause it to not start. I ride it to the line and shut it off. Fire it once for about 10 seconds at the 2 minute warning and we're good to go. It's all about the routine.

Have you jetted it yet? They tend to be real lean from the factory, and that will cause you all kinds of trouble getting it started.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #246
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll practice the starts, too. It starts about the same in neutral vs in gear with the clutch pulled. I may experiment with that. I wish it would start with the throttle about 1/2 open, that would be ideal. But it will sit and crank forever without starting if you do that.

There's no way to jet the bike, it's EFI, which is great. The dealer loaded the competition map, so it should be running good in that respect, and it feels like it is.

Edit - I'll add that the 'berg likes to be warmed up nice and hot and then it starts better. For the first start of the day it generally cranks, fires, dies, cranks fires, idles a little rough, then warms up quickly after that. It does have a cold start knob to pull that acts like a choke, and an idle adjustment, but that's about it.

It'll probably take me a little while to learn the fast dead engine starting tricks for hare scramble starts. This last race was my first race with it, and I didn't get a lot of time with the bike before hand, so I was largely learning on the fly as I went.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 04:53 PM
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #247
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Here's another photo from the race - me on the new 'berg, this is just passed the scoring area on the 2nd lap and is another one from Rae Atwood - http://bluejackalphoto.com . Blur and Wanderer13, check out her gallery from the race, you guys might find some good photos you want to save.

You mean like this:

From Motorcycle Pics

I think she must have Photo Shopped me in.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #248
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer13

I think she must have Photo Shopped me in.

Nah, man! That's really you!

Here I be:

That's as high as I could lift my head. When I stood, I couldn't look down the trail. I didn't have the dang Leatt brace adjusted correctly.
Riding all 22 miles like that wasn't fun.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #249
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,148
This week, I decided that if I wanted to get serious about this Hare Scramble thing that I was going to need some pointers on my technique. Luckily, I was able to find a trainer who had an open schedule today. He and I headed out to some private land where we practiced our flat turns, bermed turns, dead starts, hard braking, etc.

The first lesson was ATGATT!!!

Here he is in his:

His second lesson was to always make sure to stay hydrated. He said that if you didn't need to pee every so often, you weren't drinking enough:

I'm not sure if I'm any faster after today's lesson but it did help me realize that there are more important things than motorcycles. Not too many, but a few
Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #250
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's awesome! I must be well hydrated, because I always have to make a few pit stops in the woods nearby the start line.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #251
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Brown Jug

I just got back from vacation today - a 5 day Bahama cruise with the wife and no kids. That was awesome!

But I don't think I've helped my case w/regard to fitness, though. Lounging on the ship by the pool or on the beach with full service breakfast every morning, wonderfully assorted buffets for lunch with dozens of deserts that all must be sampled, and 5 course dinners at night ... and even though we made the effort to look for it, they had the gym hidden off in some part of the ship we never found. So ... I'm afraid this might be a tough race for me this coming weekend.

But I am signed up for NCHSA Round 8 : Brown Jug, in Union, South Carolina for this coming Sunday. It's looking like it's going to be another HOT one. It hit 102 here today where I live. It will likely be even hotter 4 hours south of here on race day.

I raced this race last year, and I think it was on the same date - early July. It was very very hot. Several folks were carted out due to heat issues. I remember seeing one guy curled up in a ball beside the trail. I'm going to need to work extra hard in the coming days to try and prepare as best I can, especially just coming off a cushy vacation.

And I've still got a few things I want to do for bike prep. I need to cut down the bars a little bit more - they still felt a little wide at Denver, and I've got a couple more guards to put on to help protect some critical components on my bike. Fortunately, I've taken tomorrow and Friday off work as well, but I'd like to get in a ride on Friday, so I hope of finish prep tomorrow so I can use Friday as a pre-race shakedown ride.

One of our local guys, Jared Bolton, put together a "Survival Guide" for the race. I thought I'd share it here:

http://jaredbolton.com/2010/07/06/br...urvival-guide/

Wanderer and Blur, and anyone else that makes it, I hope to see you there. Be sure and hydrate! Now would be a good time to get your fluids up. I may try the pedialite trick, if I can stomach that stuff, it tastes pretty nasty, but it's supposed to work very well in staving off cramps.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #252
JaredBolton
A.K.A Bolt-On

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes

One of our local guys, Jared Bolton, put together a "Survival Guide" for the race. I thought I'd share it here:

http://jaredbolton.com/2010/07/06/br...urvival-guide/
I don't know who that guy is but he looks pretty goofy.

Thanks for the repost though!

I'm planning on posting something like that before the rest of the races. Also, if anyone is following the GNCC series, my buddy Charkie Huegel posts a Survival Guide before each GNCC. You can check those out at www.offroadjunkies.com

I don't know how many of the rest of the NCHSA races I'll actually make it out to this year but I'm planning on coming to what I can and shoot some video, maybe some pictures, and I'll probably race one or two.

The Camp Walter Johnson race in September will be pretty good. If I don't have to commit myself to the GNCC that weekend I'll definitely be at that race. That track is only about 15 minutes from my house, and I've helped cut some of the trail and rode the track the week after the Flat Rock race. It's a pretty fun track so far and with it being at a Salvation Army camp, theres definitely going to be a lot to do. If you only camp at one race, that will be the one to do it at!
JaredBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #253
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
I will be there. I just got back from a 2 hour, 20 mile mountain bike ride so re-hydration will be critical. I have been trying to ride in the heat as much as possible and it seems to be helping out. With the heat, I have been getting to the last few races about 1 hour prior to start in order to avoid sitting around in the heat all day. Just remember that re-hydration will be just as important after the race as hydrating before the race. I hope to see you there. I am on row #7.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #254
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredBolton
I don't know who that guy is but he looks pretty goofy.
Thanks for posting up, Jared! I liked the survival guide and having one of those for all the rest of the races would be great. I liked your GNCC history and other articles as well. You've put together a great web site: http://jaredbolton.com/ , the videos are great. For folks who haven't seen them, check them out here:

http://jaredbolton.com/2010/07/04/2010-gncc-videos/

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #255
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer13
I will be there. I just got back from a 2 hour, 20 mile mountain bike ride so re-hydration will be critical. I have been trying to ride in the heat as much as possible and it seems to be helping out. With the heat, I have been getting to the last few races about 1 hour prior to start in order to avoid sitting around in the heat all day. Just remember that re-hydration will be just as important after the race as hydrating before the race. I hope to see you there. I am on row #7.
I'm getting ready to head out for a heat of the day mountain bike ride. Then hopefully I can ride the race bike tomorrow to get some seat time before the race. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride at all since the last race.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F