ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #46
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien
Man, I'm doing my bajathing all wrong!

I'll sell sponserships for 5000 pesos and never run out of coin for cervesas ever again! Or sell out to skinheads or Mexicans!
You can help me setup all the netcams, write all that off too!

Bikes, baja, beer, booze, BBQ, the ADVboys and netcams.... this could be the start of something muy bueno!
I am so in I like Mexico and the wimmings

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #47
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Ore else.
That's better. I gnu you were capable of more
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #48
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
That's better. I gnu you were capable of more
I don't know that he could have been any boulder. Vern rocks!
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #49
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-Z
I don't know that he could have been any boulder. Vern rocks!

Good work - I feel sufficiently pun-ished!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #50
fastcat
fastcat

Oddometer: 96
If bullshit was music, the Oregonian would be a brass band!

I've been reading some of your comments over the past few days. As most of you are aware, I don't spend a lot of time blogging on ADV--it's not that I don't find the site interesting, but I'm often caught up in trying to get more things done around the Lodge and in entertaining my guests, friends and sponsors. I wasn't going to comment until I saw where this thing was headed. To my dear friends, thank you for your continued support and confidence that what the Oregonian prints is almost never the truth.

After the Aryans had been in John Day earlier this year looking at property, some of the Seneca locals thought it would be fun to start and spread the rumor that we were selling out to the AN. We thought it was humorous and thought anyone who knew us would agree, so we did not even dignify the rumor by responding to it. About a week later, our realtor called us and said he had heard the rumor and had heard he was the realtor in the sale. The hillbilly rumor mill was in full swing!

We wrote a letter to our City and County government officials asking what they thought about the rumor and inviting their input, since such a transaction would have wide-ranging effects. We hoped to embarrass the perpetrators of the rumor and call attention to how absurd they were. Believe it or not, we received no reply from anyone. The County gave a copy of the letter to the John Day paper and the City gave copies of the letter to the locals who were spreading the rumor!

On Thursday the 22nd, we called a press conference to dispel the rumors that we were selling to the Aryan Nations. At that point I could unequivocally say that we had never contacted or been contacted by the group or any representative with regard to purchasing or selling the property. We invited the Oregonian, John Day Blue Mountain Eagle and Burns Times Herald, along with several prominent landholders in the area. The landowners and Dick Cockle from the Oregonian showed up; the two local papers did not. Dick Cockle spent the better part of the day with Carol and me, and our other guests, and we explained to him that we had never had any contact with the AN and had never even considered it.

Mr. Cockle toured the lodge and inquired as to our investment. We told him we had approximately $2 million in the project and he seemed dutifully impressed. As he prepared to leave and seek comments from others in the area, he asked me, under the circumstances and with the treatment we were receiving from the locals, would I ever consider selling to the AN. I explained that I planned to continue my tenure in Seneca and outlive the hillbillies. He then looked at my wife and asked her--and, tongue in cheek, she said, "It depends on how much they're offering." Cockle replied, "A million dollars." Carol quipped back, "I'm outta here." We all had a good laugh. It seems even the stupidist human being on the planet could get the irony and the joke, but instead the Oregonian decided they needed a sensational headline and printed the rubbish so many of you have responded to.

Now, to some of your comments specifically. Carol and I are very proud of the work we've done here at the BearCat, and we've hosted hundreds of riders in the past couple of years. All of our guests have left glowing reviews and our bookings now extend into 2012. For the record, for those of you who have never been to the BearCat, the lodge is private and by invitation only. However, I have never turned away anyone on two wheels. My rule has always been you're welcome and if you're "cool" you'll get invited back. I've never charged motorcyclists a dime to stay here and have simply pointed them to the fishbowl and said "leave what it was worth to you." Some of the comments posted in this blog have been intentionally hurtful, as I know that our hospitality here and our reputation for such is unequalled.

And now, finally, two days ago I received a telephone call from a man named Paul Mullet. He informed me that he is the leader of the AN and he had heard someone was in Seneca impersonating him. I explained that I couldn't speak to that rumor, since I hadn't spoken with anyone who claimed to be associated with his organization. He discussed the Oregonian article with me and asked whether I would consider selling to their organization. I explained to him that he didn't have enough money. He told me that I'd be surprised--his organization was quite well funded. I suggested that he contact the people at the Moby Dick Hotel in Washington, the other establishment mentioned in the article, as I was sure that they were interested in selling. He informed me that "We ain't buyin' nothin' from no goddamned Jew," to which I replied, "Nigger is a condition, not a color," to which he replied, "Yeah, there's a lot of white niggers," to which I replied, "Yeah, there sure are." Our conversation ended shortly after that. I'd like to point out that had the Seneca hillbillies not started this ridiculous rumor to begin with, the Aryan Nations probably would have headed to other parts long ago--instead, they're back in the news.

Seneca has always been notorious for its treatment of outsiders. They are old hill people who were brought out here in the 20s by Edward Hines to cut down trees. Mr. Hines built this community--their houses, their school, their churches, and all the businesses that service them. When he left in 1979, he handed them the keys to the joint; they all stayed, even though there was no work, just 30 years of government subsidies and timber money that ran out in 2009. In our 4 years here in Seneca we have tried to explain to the people in Grant County that their future lies in cultivating the tourist industry, and in particular welcoming motorcyclists to the most pristine riding experience in the country. The locals in Seneca have decided that they would rather let their little town die a slow death than change anything.

Has anyone ever read the book, Who Moved My Cheese?

I would hope in the future, with this explanation, that if any of you have concerns, comments or questions you would contact us here at the lodge directly and not perpetuate rumor and innuendo.

Have a great riding season,

J.W. & Carol & the cats
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #51
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,194
Well, that letter does a lot of explain things and I hope it helps folks get some perspective. While I am sure no one is perfect and there are two sides to every story, I have experienced small towns and small town mentality and am incined to believe to JW and Carol (and anyone who takes their place someday) are dealing with the distrust that typically is a part of that setting.

Also, as an ex-stringer for newspapers I know that the best written story can be butchered by editors in order to fit their needs. When I started in that work an entire paragraph was left out of an article and it put my interviewee in a bad light and it made me feel like I really let him down. After that I learned to always give the subject of the story an exact copy of what I handed in to the paper - that way stuff that came out wrong couldn't be blamed on me. My point here is that newspaper articles that are human interest pieces seldom come out the way folks expect.

Emily Bronte

Mista Vern screwed with this post 05-01-2010 at 02:39 PM
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #52
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat
I've been reading some of your comments over the past few days. As most of you are aware, I don't spend a lot of time blogging on ADV--it's not that I don't find the site interesting, but I'm often caught up in trying to get more things done around the Lodge and in entertaining my guests, friends and sponsors. I wasn't going to comment until I saw where this thing was headed. To my dear friends, thank you for your continued support and confidence that what the Oregonian prints is almost never the truth.

After the Aryans had been in John Day earlier this year looking at property, some of the Seneca locals thought it would be fun to start and spread the rumor that we were selling out to the AN. We thought it was humorous and thought anyone who knew us would agree, so we did not even dignify the rumor by responding to it. About a week later, our realtor called us and said he had heard the rumor and had heard he was the realtor in the sale. The hillbilly rumor mill was in full swing!

We wrote a letter to our City and County government officials asking what they thought about the rumor and inviting their input, since such a transaction would have wide-ranging effects. We hoped to embarrass the perpetrators of the rumor and call attention to how absurd they were. Believe it or not, we received no reply from anyone. The County gave a copy of the letter to the John Day paper and the City gave copies of the letter to the locals who were spreading the rumor!

On Thursday the 22nd, we called a press conference to dispel the rumors that we were selling to the Aryan Nations. At that point I could unequivocally say that we had never contacted or been contacted by the group or any representative with regard to purchasing or selling the property. We invited the Oregonian, John Day Blue Mountain Eagle and Burns Times Herald, along with several prominent landholders in the area. The landowners and Dick Cockle from the Oregonian showed up; the two local papers did not. Dick Cockle spent the better part of the day with Carol and me, and our other guests, and we explained to him that we had never had any contact with the AN and had never even considered it.

Mr. Cockle toured the lodge and inquired as to our investment. We told him we had approximately $2 million in the project and he seemed dutifully impressed. As he prepared to leave and seek comments from others in the area, he asked me, under the circumstances and with the treatment we were receiving from the locals, would I ever consider selling to the AN. I explained that I planned to continue my tenure in Seneca and outlive the hillbillies. He then looked at my wife and asked her--and, tongue in cheek, she said, "It depends on how much they're offering." Cockle replied, "A million dollars." Carol quipped back, "I'm outta here." We all had a good laugh. It seems even the stupidist human being on the planet could get the irony and the joke, but instead the Oregonian decided they needed a sensational headline and printed the rubbish so many of you have responded to.

Now, to some of your comments specifically. Carol and I are very proud of the work we've done here at the BearCat, and we've hosted hundreds of riders in the past couple of years. All of our guests have left glowing reviews and our bookings now extend into 2012. For the record, for those of you who have never been to the BearCat, the lodge is private and by invitation only. However, I have never turned away anyone on two wheels. My rule has always been you're welcome and if you're "cool" you'll get invited back. I've never charged motorcyclists a dime to stay here and have simply pointed them to the fishbowl and said "leave what it was worth to you." Some of the comments posted in this blog have been intentionally hurtful, as I know that our hospitality here and our reputation for such is unequalled.

And now, finally, two days ago I received a telephone call from a man named Paul Mullet. He informed me that he is the leader of the AN and he had heard someone was in Seneca impersonating him. I explained that I couldn't speak to that rumor, since I hadn't spoken with anyone who claimed to be associated with his organization. He discussed the Oregonian article with me and asked whether I would consider selling to their organization. I explained to him that he didn't have enough money. He told me that I'd be surprised--his organization was quite well funded. I suggested that he contact the people at the Moby Dick Hotel in Washington, the other establishment mentioned in the article, as I was sure that they were interested in selling. He informed me that "We ain't buyin' nothin' from no goddamned Jew," to which I replied, "Nigger is a condition, not a color," to which he replied, "Yeah, there's a lot of white niggers," to which I replied, "Yeah, there sure are." Our conversation ended shortly after that. I'd like to point out that had the Seneca hillbillies not started this ridiculous rumor to begin with, the Aryan Nations probably would have headed to other parts long ago--instead, they're back in the news.

Seneca has always been notorious for its treatment of outsiders. They are old hill people who were brought out here in the 20s by Edward Hines to cut down trees. Mr. Hines built this community--their houses, their school, their churches, and all the businesses that service them. When he left in 1979, he handed them the keys to the joint; they all stayed, even though there was no work, just 30 years of government subsidies and timber money that ran out in 2009. In our 4 years here in Seneca we have tried to explain to the people in Grant County that their future lies in cultivating the tourist industry, and in particular welcoming motorcyclists to the most pristine riding experience in the country. The locals in Seneca have decided that they would rather let their little town die a slow death than change anything.

Has anyone ever read the book, Who Moved My Cheese?

I would hope in the future, with this explanation, that if any of you have concerns, comments or questions you would contact us here at the lodge directly and not perpetuate rumor and innuendo.

Have a great riding season,

J.W. & Carol & the cats
well put and thanks tons.. im sure you have other shit in your life to deal with then dealing with a bunch of whining nannies..
Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #53
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat
They are old hill people who were brought out here in the 20s by Edward Hines to cut down trees.
Fascinating. I come from a place just like that.

They are very clannish and reject outsiders. They also have a distinct accent that I am told I have, and it comes back when I am around them. [or around Dagwood]

You could have been born next door, but if you are not born of the clan as I was not, you are still an outsider. Not complaining

There are actually a lot of small communities in Oregon just like that. Mill City is a good example.

I have thought a lot about this since leaving that community, and have developed an appreciation for the study of Anthropology. Here in the US we have many distinct cultures and tribes. The differences are amazing considering the similarity of the language.
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #54
Loudo
Pithy

Oddometer: 183
Typical

In my job I am sometimes placed in the position of providing information to print reporters about the status of construction projects and EVERY TIME it's just a pile of shit. Usually the reporter shows up sniffing around because he's heard something negative (and untrue) from a local yokel and so the seed of a negative story is planted. Armed with this predetermined bias, the questions as you can imagine are intended to simply support an "angle" chosen by the reporter. Knowing this, I've asked the reporter if he'd be so kind as to let me review the article before it prints just to ensure there are no inaccuracies and every time there's hemming and hawing and it doesn't happen and sure enough the report contains a dog doot or two. As it pertains to Mr. Everitt's experience with Mr. Cockle () it seems par for the course for a presumably off-the-record quip without the intended context to be used in such a way. Reporters can be such tools. Infuriating.
Loudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #55
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,358
That was well written and t the point, I don't like the news we get fed I believe very little of it . Well Done JW

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #56
fastcat
fastcat

Oddometer: 96
from the horses mouth

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT! It's hard enough to run an enterprise in these times without sensationalized comments from the press. We do appreciate those folks that took the time to hear both sides of the story before passing judgement on it's validity. I guess some of the responses in this blog speak volumes as to why reality TV is so popular. Let's all put more miles on our bikes and less on our ADV odoms and go see for ourselves before we form an opinion and spread the gossip.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #57
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
How bout a mosque, I think it would look spectacular in the back yard.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #58
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder
How bout a mosque, I think it would look spectacular in my back yard here in BC.
+1

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #59
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash
+1

hey cut that out
Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #60
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
4 pages and no mention of the White Power suspension on the KTM in the photo. WTF?
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote