Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #46
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Moto-Techniques oil filler -assembly- with Viton

http://www.moto-techniques.com/oil_filler_kits.htm

Moto-techniques filler cap. The only one to get. Also the only filler assembly that replaces the plastic insert. Get the clear anodized billet aluminum one, not the chrome plated brass one (too heavy). The latter includes viton o rings. Great customer service, small family business. Email them instead of calling. They are always busy in the shop. I would send the Vunder-boy back for a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
When Greg (GS Diablo) looked at my bike, when it was first not-running, he didn't like all the oil on the TPS. (I finally realized what the TPS actually is.)

Before my Panama/Tierra del Fuego ride, I bought a wunderlich locking oil filler cap. It locks, but it doesn't seal well. Like maybe it needs a new O ring. It wasn't much of a problem, but on the 970-miles-in-13.5-hours ride, it was leaking like mad. The whole left side of the bike is covered in oil. It's really just a little bit of oil. The sight glass never showed a significant (really, any) drop in oil volume. But my pant leg, my boot, and the whole side of the bike is covered in oil. The TPS is coated with it. I'll replace the O ring.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #47
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
What's wrong with the stock oil cap? Just wondering. I'd like to own a R1200 GSA, I think?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #48
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider
+1 Had a same problem with the factory oil filer cap seeping oil on an 2002 GS, tried replacing just the o-ring, still leaked. Finally bought the Moto-Techniques with the replacement plastic insert, No more leaks. Problem solved and worth it IMO.
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #49
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,648
Ok this thread has been added to the How

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #50
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
Ok this thread has been added to the How

JJ
I am somehow impressed with myself for so screwing up my bike, and not being able to fix it, and now having all my woe in the HOW.

If I was to do all my rides again, I would take the same bike. I hope I can get it fixed up enough to do all my rides again, and then ride some more.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #51
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
What's wrong with the stock oil cap? Just wondering. I'd like to own a R1200 GSA, I think?
The OEM filler cap (lying around the house somewhere) leaked. It didn't leak as much as the wunderlich locking cap. I don't like the idea of anything unlocked on my bike. I bought the wunderlich locking (actually it doesn't lock, but you need an allen wrench to open it) before riding to South America. It worked ok for the first 20,000 miles. Then it started to leak a little, then a little more.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #52
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
The OEM filler cap (lying around the house somewhere) leaked. It didn't leak as much as the wunderlich locking cap. I don't like the idea of anything unlocked on my bike. I bought the wunderlich locking (actually it doesn't lock, but you need an allen wrench to open it) before riding to South America. It worked ok for the first 20,000 miles. Then it started to leak a little, then a little more.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. A leaking oil cap would really bother me. For some reason my KLR burning oil doesn't bother me too much, but having the oil get on me, the bike, and my garage floor does.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #53
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Today I finally got around to replacing the O2 sensor. It's an easy job if you have a 22mm wrench. Splicing the wires is easy thanks to the posi-connectors that came with the new sensor.

I was in the middle of putting the tank back on when I got interrupted... and I forgot to re-connect the fuel line in front of the big tank. A few minutes later, once the bike was warmed up, with the fuel line laying on the exhaust, you can imagine what happened: melted. Fuel spewing everywhere.

A BMW car mechanic buddy suggested that instead of $50 quick-disconnectors, I go to a plumbing supply store and get a couple of petcocks and a simple connector. I'll be able to shut off the fuel supply so that if I forget to re-connect the fuel line, fuel won't spew.

The NAPA guy, when I bought the $66 Bosch O2 sensor, thought I might have a vacuum problem. I called the BMW dealer again, and he insisted that I had wrecked the O2 sensor in the river in Panama. I then told the drowning story to the Napa guy, and he goes, "That much water will destroy an O2 sensor."

On the stand the bike sounded great. I didn't get to test it on the road, though. Hopefully tomorow.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #54
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Vintage rider sent meanother awesome PM. I hope he'll post it here.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #55
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,648
If it's like his previous post I'll have to update the HoW… JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #56
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
If it's like his previous post I'll have to update the HoW… JJ
He brilliantly summarized his previous posts while explaining how to use a $3.00 LED to decipher the error codes, compare the codes to the symptoms, and for less than $50 fix the bike. No shit.

Meanwhile, today at the dealership Jason and Eric showed me how my fuel quick dissconnect has badly worn gaskets (my fault again for not making sure they weren't full of grit before re-connecting). I bought a new, steel Male end and, to replace the one I melted, a new Female end. $55.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #57
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Do we know yet if the o2 sensor was the problem?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #58
bananaman OP
transcontimental

It runs!!!!!

At first it was stuttering and hesitating as bad as before. A mile later it was better. Now it's good!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #59
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Congrats!

Quote:
It runs!!!!!

At first it was stuttering and hesitating as bad as before. A mile later it was better. Now it's good!
Glad to hear the pig is feeling better. You gonna bring it to the rally?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #60
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
Glad to hear the pig is feeling better. You gonna bring it to the rally?
Yes. I'll display it as an example of what you should not do with a motorcycle.

Vintage Rider sent me yet another awesome PM, with permission to re-post. I'm going to do another, longer test ride. I'll report the results to him, and if it all goes well, I'll try to get him to post his PM, because he deserves the credit for making a brilliant summary and conclusion.