Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #61
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,269
I can do a 1st gear wheelie. The bike jumps fine in 2nd-4th, but there's a hesitation, and a little bogging-down if I twist the throttle hard. If I add gas gradually, there's no limit.

I don't have a speedo and I had left the GPS in the truck, all I can say is, I can get up to 5000 RPM in 5th gear going uphill, but getting there still isn't quite the same. I'm going to have to follow all of Vintage Rider's advice. My guess is that the catalytic converter might be damaged, there might be a vacuum leak, the valves need adjusting, and I need to do a complete inside-the-tank service, as well as double check the TPS, and a bunch of other things, including (gasp!) wash it.

And the front TKC is pretty much worn out.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #62
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Today I rode the pig 95 mph on the local freeway. It still does the skipping thing, like it's running too-rich, but it got me to 95 and it could've gone faster but there was traffic and there were cops and I can NOT get another ticket until the end of August (if they're counting offense-date) or the end of October (if they're counting conviction date).

Twisting the throttle hard at 55 mph in 5th gear and it bogs down but still accelerates.

Maybe tomorow I'll have time to disconnect the O2 sensor and take it for a spin.

I have not had time to do any of the other maintenance jobs or inspections that I'm supposed to do. Maybe next week...
Old 06-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #63
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,245
How's the fuel pressure? Or, is it too much of a hassle to check so you're trying everything else?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #64
bananaman OP
transcontimental

I haven't checked the actual pressure, but it sure does squirt out. It really does feel like it's running too rich.

Hey Poolside- can you please tell me what's wrong with my motorcycle?

In the last week I've pulled a horse trailer 600 miles, and tomorrow I'll pull it another 200. I've been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night. But soon (soon! maybe next week!) I'll devote a few days to my pig.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #65
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I haven't checked the actual pressure, but it sure does squirt out. It really does feel like it's running too rich.

Hey Poolside- can you please tell me what's wrong with my motorcycle?

In the last week I've pulled a horse trailer 600 miles, and tomorrow I'll pull it another 200. I've been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night. But soon (soon! maybe next week!) I'll devote a few days to my pig.
Low pressure isn't the only possible fuel pressure issue. what if it is too high?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #66
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,208
If it's really running rich, you should be able to see it on the plugs.

JJ
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #67
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
If it's really running rich, you should be able to see it on the plugs.

JJ
One plug was sand-colored, and the other one looked normal. Too-rich/incomplete burning would cause black plugs, right?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #68
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
When mine was too rich the exhaust smelt of unburnt fuel, and the back of the bike got sooty.
Stewart
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #69
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,208
Quote:
One plug was sand-colored, and the other one looked normal. Too-rich/incomplete burning would cause black plugs, right?
If it were running WAY to rich or your ignition system were weak, yes.

But it is also 'curious' that the 2 plugs are different in color…

BTW what color is "normal"…

JJ
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #70
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
JJ: ["What color is normal (for r1100GS plugs)"]

Not uncommon to see almost white, newish looking plugs on the U.S. spec model. Just so long as there are no metallic deposits, which indicate dangerous over-lean condition. Bosch has good plug read pics on their web site. For Bananman perhaps a partially plugged injector, vacuum leak or a bad rubber injector rubber seal between the TB and the injector nozzle? Swap the injectors and see if the plug condition swaps over to the opposite side. The starting point still needs to be a full tune and a tank service imo. The diagnostic needs to be a logical sequence. Perform all of the maintenance and inspections then proceed to what is left. One rider just spent a chunk of money stranded on the Al-Can from an intermittent dying pump. A lot of time could have been saved if he had first checked the fuel pressure. with a pump hotwire. Like any of us he was challenged by being in a remote location w/o the benefit of having a shop manual and a fuel pump jumper in the tool kit. With so many fuel related issues happening this year it seems like carrying a spare pump may be the ticket as well as doing a pre-trip tank maintenance/inspection. It can be tough to find the time to do all of the preventative, routine stuff but even buying a new bike every year won't insure 100% reliability. We tend to ignore simple things like hardening of the arteries (old hard fuel lines) until we are forced to deal with them.

Tank service: drain , gently clean, remove old hard rubber lines. use stiff wire to clean out internal metal lines and bulhead ports, remove pump inlet screen and check for broken plastic impeller. install new fuel inlet screen (generic $3), install new SAE J30R10 lines and clamps, clean and adjust fuel sender. Polish or cover or customize the spinning prop rhondelle.

vintagerider screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 12:24 PM
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #71
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,445
I think I know what a tune-up is, but what is a full tank service?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #72
bananaman OP
transcontimental

It wasn't the O2 sensor, even though I replaced it, and the bike seemed to run a little better.

It wasn't the TPS.

It wasn't the fuel pump or anything in the fuel line.

It wasn't vacuum related.

Yesterday after helping watch a friend pick up her bike, waay back in nowhere northern Minnesota, after about 20 or 40 miles of dirt and gravel. I hit my starter and

BANG! a backfire blew the air fuel fuel injector TPS everything off the left cylinder.

The big O clamp was loose. I put it all back together, tightened the clamps, and completely fixed my bike.

The problem since somewhere between Dallas and Minneapolis was a loose O clamp.

Thanks tons to everyone who contributed.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #73
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Thumb

Quote:
Yesterday after helping watch a friend pick up her bike,.....
You, Sir, is a true friend.

I'll dash out and check my O-rings.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #74
bananaman OP
transcontimental

In my last post I said that the problem from somewhere between Dallas and Minneapolis was a loose O clamp. I mis-typed. I first noticed the problem in Colombia, in cold rain, approaching and then riding into Quito, Ecuador, which was only a couple of days of riding since re-assembly in Panama. If you're familiar with the process of dis-assembly for clutch and flywheel replacement, you'll know that you get to take the bike apart, removing almost everything from the motor back.

My theory is that when it's cold and wet, the rubber intake shrinks a little, which makes the O clamp tightness more important. And when the O clamp is loose, there's nothing to keep the little screw from loosening itself even more.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #75
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Five pages, for a loose clip glad your bikes okay, now see if you can head off the next problem at the pass, catch up on the routine stuff.

Stewart