ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #181
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Will spring ever arrive?
I am betting on March 20th being the first day of spring.

Now when will the snow and ice be gone, I have no clue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #182
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
It's looking like beach weather for tomorrow with a balmy 23 degrees in the forecast!

Will spring ever arrive?
Yeah, I need to get out and do some cleaning/work in the garage, I looked at forecast monday and the was the day that wasnt going to be single digits/ negative so I plan to work outside in this warm 20 degree weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
I am betting on March 20th being the first day of spring.

Now when will the snow and ice be gone, I have no clue...
Maybe early June before its all gone... ha! Hopefully I can get some riding in this Spring before I leave for Alaska in the end of May

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodutch View Post
I hope so I'm running out of projects.
C'mon over, I got a laundry list of projects: home repairs, cleaning, (getting house ready to sell), new stator for the bike, new plastics, new wiring, need to buy a carb kit and rebuild the carb to fix a small leak, new tail light/turn signal combo, and still looking for an inexpensive headlight upgrade.

or shovel my driveway for the umpteenth time...

yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #183
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Thanks. I am hoping to have a bit of a face lift for my off road bike this spring (I sold mine last April actually and have been riding my son's KTM 200) - the Budget and Finance committee (ie - Sheila! ) has tentatively approved another KTM - most likely a used 250XC or 250XCW - maybe a 300.

I ended up going with some Mitas E-07's for the V Strom - decided I wanted a bit better on road manners and longevity than a TKC, but still better dirt than my Battlewing/Trailwing combo. The look like they should do the trick, all the reviews on them are good to..

Did you find a US outlet yet for the 07s? I would like to buy a set without having to pay Canadas high prices for them....
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #184
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone up here know much about them UTV side by side type deals? I am wanting to pick one up this spring for riding around with my family, me the wife, and 3 lil boys under 6 in the back seat.

Everything I see seems stupid expensive though. I think I am leaning towards picking up a rhino and adding a rear roll cage and rear seat, but even rhinos I cant seem to find used much under $6k.

Another reason I am leaning towards the rhino with the added seat is the length, anything that comes from factory with the rear seat seems to be massively long, and doesnt seem like it would be great on trails.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #185
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Anyone up here know much about them UTV side by side type deals? I am wanting to pick one up this spring for riding around with my family, me the wife, and 3 lil boys under 6 in the back seat.

Everything I see seems stupid expensive though. I think I am leaning towards picking up a rhino and adding a rear roll cage and rear seat, but even rhinos I cant seem to find used much under $6k.

Another reason I am leaning towards the rhino with the added seat is the length, anything that comes from factory with the rear seat seems to be massively long, and doesnt seem like it would be great on trails.
For what they want for these side x sides, a guy could have a Jeep or a bitchin dune buggy...just sayin. S x S or buggy, your still restricted to the orv routes with either. Something to think about.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #186
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
For what they want for these side x sides, a guy could have a Jeep or a bitchin dune buggy...just sayin. S x S or buggy, your still restricted to the orv routes with either. Something to think about.
Yeah, I am moving to Alaska, to get out to alot of the hunting and fishing areas you need a 4x4 ATV, they say a smaller UTV works also, but that alot of the jeeps are too wide for the trails. I plan on getting an ATV for me, but for the kiddos and old lady it would be nice to have something a bit bigger.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #187
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Yeah, I am moving to Alaska, to get out to alot of the hunting and fishing areas you need a 4x4 ATV, they say a smaller UTV works also, but that alot of the jeeps are too wide for the trails. I plan on getting an ATV for me, but for the kiddos and old lady it would be nice to have something a bit bigger.
Makes sense. I just assumed you would stay local with it. Moving to Ak. you say? Wow, very cool. big change. Outdoorsmans paradise. Pops and I drove up there in 78 and spent the summer with my sister who was stationed at USAF Elmendorf base. What an adventure, that was before the Alcan was paved. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #188
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Makes sense. I just assumed you would stay local with it. Moving to Ak. you say? Wow, very cool. big change. Outdoorsmans paradise. Pops and I drove up there in 78 and spent the summer with my sister who was stationed at USAF Elmendorf base. What an adventure, that was before the Alcan was paved. Good luck!
Nice, I am actually going to be staying on Elmendorf in some temp lodging for a few days and checking out Anchorage before I head to my final ferry from Homer to Kodiak, should be one heck of a trip.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #189
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Did you find a US outlet yet for the 07s? I would like to buy a set without having to pay Canadas high prices for them....
No - MX1 Canada is it. My total cost was $284 or $294 (I forget for sure!) including shipping. Cost wise they were significantly less than TKCs, a bit more than a set of Kenda Big Blocks, and are reported to last way longer than either of those. Even with the shipping cost, it was, in my opinion a great deal for a well reviewed tire.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #190
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

I've got plenty of projects left for my winter months...in the midst of restoring my 76 Penton, still have to mount up the E07's on the Vstrom, finish farkling the Vstrom, synch the throttle bodies and a variety of other routine items, plus get my new to me KTM set up for the season - proper spring rates, bark busters, lights, decide if i want to start with it as a 300 or a 250, and a bunch of other stuff.

Sheila and I are planning a trip to Wyoming this summer on the Vstrom to visit my oldest son - so we are having fun planning that, plus getting ourselves all set back up with the appropriate camping gear. It seems all that high end camping stuff from our past has somehow ended up with the boys! Good news is we get the new stuff. Bad news is, we have to pay for it!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #191
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Nice, I am actually going to be staying on Elmendorf in some temp lodging for a few days and checking out Anchorage before I head to my final ferry from Homer to Kodiak, should be one heck of a trip.
When you get to Homer, take time to go have a cold one at the Salty Dog saloon. Old out post and light house rich with history of the area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_Dawg_Saloon
We didn't have time for Kodiak but did do a 2 week fly in fishing/camp in Katmai Natn'l Park. Living close with the bears will humble your soul.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katmai_...k_and_Preserve
Invest in a quality camera and snap everything you see.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #192
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Henk - good to hear from ya! No more shoveling here - though still a fair bit of snow in the woods. Friday after work Sheila and I got out for our first ride of the season - not long, but had fun. Wet sand sure is a lot nicer to ride than that dry stuff! We did find some mud to. The new tires seemed to do pretty well with it all - though not enough miles to really know.

I havent even gotten out on the KTM yet - been to busy getting the Vstrom set for spring, and I am now almost done with the Penton project.

We did talk about that rally - but really dont know yet. When was it again?

Quote:
OK time for a little activity Snow is going away, dirt roads are
opening up. and two tracks are soon to follow. I did 75mi. on the XR yesterday and 125 on the GS last week end, not much but it's a start. Mike are you still shoveling? Is the big V Strom up and running? Have you given that River road rally any thought?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #193
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Henk - you had a shock rebuild done I take it?

Looks like that rally wont work for us. Oh well. We did get out on the bike this afternoon. Had a blast! We wanted to get it out on some dirt fully loaded with luggage same as what we would have on our Wyoming trip - kind of a first test run. I am pleasantly surprised how the bike did. I expected it to be much much more of a pig than it already is - but not bad at all. We found some mud even. The Mitas E07 tires did great.

Here are some pics:

Vern fully loaded with gear:

Still a surprising amount of snow:

A few bits of mud:

Did about 70 miles of stuff like this, then another 30 or so of pavement:

Some of it was some nicer dirt roads to:

Quote:
Things are good here. I finally got my shocks back for the GS after the post office tried to lose them. The XR is back together with a big bore kit.
Here is the info. for the rally. I plan on leaving on Thursday and coming back on Sunday. Lisa isn't going as she's not much for tent camping.
http://www.madisonbmwclub.org/gr3

Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #194
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Good pic's!

Whats new with you guys? Not much chatter. Anybody new in the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #195
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally starting to get weather to ride! I am moving out of state i n a few weeks, will miss this place.