ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
Wulf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Live in Boyne City and sold my V-Strom last spring. Winters are just a bit too depressing around here. You don't see too many adventure bikes around here, it's mostly the cruiser crowds. I need a new bike!
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #32
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Live in Boyne City and sold my V-Strom last spring. Winters are just a bit too depressing around here. You don't see too many adventure bikes around here, it's mostly the cruiser crowds. I need a new bike!

There are a lot of cruisers but, who cares. There are lots of trails around these parts, you just need a dirt bike to ride them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Nice pickup! I was really trying to pickup an SP125 a kid out in Gaylord had for only $300, but he traded it for a truck, i was all set to drive out there today and get it. So the search continues for an inexpensive bike.

My birth month too, I hate these dang SOS bills, atleast its also tax time.
Check this one out. http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/2785575996.html

Quote:
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
RSRennsport
Navigator

Oddometer: 64
Manistee

Winter has been nice to us this year.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #35
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRennsport View Post
My experience with a winter like this has been that we end up with a spring and summer that is cold and wet. So it worries me. But, its not over yet.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #36
RennyGade OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRennsport View Post

There is nothing "nice" about a lack of snow. Too many people, myself included, depend on snow to make a living. It doesn't matter if it's directly or indirectly. No outside cash coming in, means no discretionary spending. Besides I love my snowmobile equally to my bike.
RennyGade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,161
I haven't seen anything on ADV about the stunt jumper at the Shrine Circus in Saginaw hitting a cable mid jump on Sunday? The guy came away with a broken wrist, leg and elbow. I've seen the crash footage on local TV and find it strange no one has mentioned it on ADVrider? Man, he took quite a tumble but says he'll be back stunting when he heals up....No snow in Michigan means I might not downhill ski for the first time since I was a kid. Thats alot of years ago.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
RennyGade OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I haven't seen anything on ADV about the stunt jumper at the Shrine Circus in Saginaw hitting a cable mid jump on Sunday? The guy came away with a broken wrist, leg and elbow. I've seen the crash footage on local TV and find it strange no one has mentioned it on ADVrider? Man, he took quite a tumble but says he'll be back stunting when he heals up....No snow in Michigan means I might not downhill ski for the first time since I was a kid. Thats alot of years ago.
Well, at least we have the market on snowmaking. Skihills are the only thing pulling in people around here right now.

Do you have a link to the footage? I haven't heard about that
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #39
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyGade View Post
Well, at least we have the market on snowmaking. Skihills are the only thing pulling in people around here right now.

Not a link but if you go to TV8.com and scroll down to central state there is a video.....Snowmaking? I like to ski the trees at Nubs and I doubt there are any snow guns in there. Piste skiing is lame! Its for snowborders and old people.. Oh, that's right, I'm a old people.But I'm a old person that still skis the trees. Giddi up!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
RennyGade OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Not a link but if you go to TV8.com and scroll down to central state there is a video.....Snowmaking? I like to ski the trees at Nubs and I doubt there are any snow guns in there. Piste skiing is lame! Its for snowborders and old people.. Oh, that's right, I'm a old people.But I'm a old person that still skis the trees. Giddi up!

We have close to a foot in the trees right now, although it is more than likely hard as a rock right now. Snowboarders live for the trees, at least the ones I grew up riding with. I don't go to the ski hills anymore anyway. After about an hour I'm ready to split because it gets monotonous. It's all about quality over quantity these days. That's why I stick to back-country stuff only accessible by snowmobile, most of which is all woods riding. Unfortunately Mother Nature hasn't cooperated too well over the past couple years.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #41
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Is this your place? www.crookedriverlodge.com If so, that place looks awesome. I have driven by there quite a few times on my way to my brothers in Pellston. Next time I go up that way we should go riding.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #42
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
another one from the Tip

Hey guys - I just saw this thread. I am in Atlanta (east of Gaylord 32 miles), work in East Jordan. (yeah, the commute sucks in the winter) Unfortunately I never made it past Adventure Bike Wanna Be, as I ended up buying a Triumph Trophy 1200 recently. That will make the commute much more enjoyable!

I do ride lots of tight single track, race an occasional D14 Enduro. I've got a nice tight technical bit of trail on my property over here in Atlanta if any of you want to do some riding this spring - or ride right from here onto the MCCCT up to the Atlanta Loop, or down to Hunt Creek. I ride winters too with the Trellborgs - though snow conditions pretty much suck for it now. Oh, I saw someone mentioned the MCCCT. I rode the entire thing a couple years ago. If I can help with any info (if I can remember anything!) let me know. There is a write up a did on it somewhere here on ADV, as well as one on Dirtrider.net

Anyhow - we should do a Top of the Mitt meet and Greet sometime. I know a guy from Grayling and one from Gaylord that are on ADV occasionally as well.

Mike

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #43
RennyGade OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
Is this your place? www.crookedriverlodge.com If so, that place looks awesome. I have driven by there quite a few times on my way to my brothers in Pellston. Next time I go up that way we should go riding.

That was my place, but it has changed hands now. I am doing fully outfitted snowmobile tours now. I sure picked a hell of winter to start it though!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #44
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Oh, I saw someone mentioned the MCCCT. I rode the entire thing a couple years ago. If I can help with any info (if I can remember anything!) let me know. There is a write up a did on it somewhere here on ADV, as well as one on Dirtrider.net

Anyhow - we should do a Top of the Mitt meet and Greet sometime. I know a guy from Grayling and one from Gaylord that are on ADV occasionally as well.

Mike
Nice ride report. I plan on doing some of the MCCCT this summer. I need all the help I can get. I have never ridden for a long distance type ride. I always just end up doing trails that loop back and never paid attention to distance or time.

As soon as I can buy a new year ORV sticker for the new bike I am going to hit the trails.

Quote:
That was my place, but it has changed hands now. I am doing fully outfitted snowmobile tours now. I sure picked a hell of winter to start it though!
Yeah quite the, I guess its winter, winter. Snow down here in TC today though

Quote:
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Its snowing hard in GR right now. Hopefully you guys up north get your share, I need to do some downhilling. One of these days I'll get up there and rent a sled for a couple of days. The one time I went snowmobiling it was in Yellowstone before it got discovered by the mass of sledheads they see now. It was a great time!