ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,614
Which GPS can send direction info via Bluetooth to a car radio ?

I am trying to find if anyone knows a GPS unit , Garmin or other, that would be able to interrupt a factory OEM radio via bluetooth.

Say, you listen to your radio, have your cell and GPS paired with the car radio.

The phone rings, the radio stops and pick up the call. That's all fine.

Now about GPS, you listen to the radio, a new direction statement is given, but I want it to go through the car radio instead of the tiny speaker of the GPS.
so it would stop the music, gives the direction and enable the music again.

I looked at the Garmin Nuvi 765, but it doesn't look like it's doing it. Just A2DP and you can connect a phone to it.

Basically the GPS should act as a cell phone to the car radio and mute whatever is playing to give directions.

Any unit doing this? I hope I am clear in the question.

thx
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I am trying to find if anyone knows a GPS unit , Garmin or other, that would be able to interrupt a factory OEM radio via bluetooth.

Say, you listen to your radio, have your cell and GPS paired with the car radio.

The phone rings, the radio stops and pick up the call. That's all fine.

Now about GPS, you listen to the radio, a new direction statement is given, but I want it to go through the car radio instead of the tiny speaker of the GPS.
so it would stop the music, gives the direction and enable the music again.

I looked at the Garmin Nuvi 765, but it doesn't look like it's doing it. Just A2DP and you can connect a phone to it.

Basically the GPS should act as a cell phone to the car radio and mute whatever is playing to give directions.

Any unit doing this? I hope I am clear in the question.

thx
Both my Nuvis do that - the 680 and 780.

And the 680 even reads any text message my phone receives.

Both will play music, podcasts and audio books through the car radio then if a call comes in, pause/mute the entertainment while the call comes through the car speaker, and I can talk back normally to the caller via the microphone in the gps.

I really like this setup - nothing makes a commute pass faster than listening to the BBC's Friday Night Comedy Podcasts.

But just to clarify - you don't pair the radio/gps - you just use the built-in FM transmitter in the gps to broadcast to the car radio.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

How does your GPS connect to the radio ?
With a cable? that's what I don't want. I want the GPS to communicate via Bluetooth to the radio.

Also I don't want to listen to music from the GPS but I want to listen to the radio,

what I want is the radio to mute and give the direction via the car speaker through bluetooth from the GPS
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
For your GPS to work through the radio in your car radio, you have it set at AUX correct. While it is set at AUX it will not transmit an FM or AM or any other sound other than what is fed through the cable connected to the aux port in the radio.
Here is what might work.

Find a speaker wire that goes between the radio and the speaker system, Splice 2 wires into it and run them up to an convenient spot and solder a female speaker plug into it.
Then plug the male end coming from the GPS into it.

Listen to the radio as normal. When the GPS gives directions it will not stop the music, rather talk over the radio.

I have used this system on the bike.
I plug my male from my Ipod and male from my GPS into a Y connector that connects to my ear buds. I listen to my Ipod and can hear the GPS giving directions over the music. Also use it for my cell phone via the blue tooth in the Garmin and when we use walkie talkies do the same thing.

Not the perfect system, IE, stopping the Amrstrong and Getty show while the GPS gives directions but, you will her barking instructions over the radio broadcast. Otherwise it's an FM radio transmitter to the GPS and connected to the car radio via the input plug.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Hi there wheatwacker

I understand all the connection I could hijack, what I am trying to find is that if a newer GPS has a bluetooth connection I could use with my car bluetooth built in not to have bunch of wires around.

Garmin 7x5 series have A2DP and phone synching, all they need to have is an extra option for hte GPS to pair with the car for direction.

Shouldn't be that hard to do, even via firmware updates...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
Hi there wheatwacker

I understand all the connection I could hijack, what I am trying to find is that if a newer GPS has a bluetooth connection I could use with my car bluetooth built in not to have bunch of wires around.

Garmin 7x5 series have A2DP and phone synching, all they need to have is an extra option for hte GPS to pair with the car for direction.

Shouldn't be that hard to do, even via firmware updates...
You're making this more complicated than it really is - many Garmin models, the two I have included, have a FM transmitter built in and if you tune your car radio to an unused frequency, you hear any audio from the gps including your BT phone which is paired to the gps.

But the radio part is not complicated.

I just read your sig line and noticed you list a Nuvi 770 - it can do what you're asking.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
You're making this more complicated than it really is - many Garmin models, the two I have included, have a FM transmitter built in and if you tune your car radio to an unused frequency, you hear any audio from the gps including your BT phone which is paired to the gps.

But the radio part is not complicated.

I just read your sig line and noticed you list a Nuvi 770 - it can do what you're asking.
But thats the whole thing, he wants to listen to the radio so using an unused FM frequency does not solve the problem.
If you can programme your phone to switch off the radio while your on the phone, via the bluetooth, you should be able to do the same with the GPS. Now I see what he is looking for.
Listen to the radio. GPS gives a direction through the radio via bluetooth and the radio resumes after instructions are given.
Should not be that hard you would think.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
christian OP
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
But thats the whole thing, he wants to listen to the radio so using an unused FM frequency does not solve the problem.
If you can programme your phone to switch off the radio while your on the phone, via the bluetooth, you should be able to do the same with the GPS. Now I see what he is looking for.
Listen to the radio. GPS gives a direction through the radio via bluetooth and the radio resumes after instructions are given.
thank you, I though I was nuts being the only one seeing this feature being useful...
shouldn't be that hard!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Now I get it.

Would be a useful feature, I agree.