User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
Check the basics first:

Drain the oil and see if it smells like gasoline. It could be polluted with gas from the leaking carbs and any excess level has been blown out the engine breather. Put new oil in anyhow. Cheap insurance.

Check the $2000 o-ring and shim, and the filter while you are there.

Fix your leaking carbs and park with petcocks shut. Ensure also that all fuel lines and filters are clean and clear. Check carb jets are not blocked.

Check ignition timing with a strobe light.

Ensure wheels and transmission turn freely with bike on the stand, so you know the engine is not overworking to overcome some partly seized wheel-bearing, brake or transmission bearing etc. The odd vibration you mention above 4,000rpm might indicate some thing wrong there.

Also, drain the oil out of your gearbox, drive shaft and rear bevel and check for metal filings etc indicating something coming apart. Put in new oil.

If that don't fix it, call for more help!

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Dropped the carbs over the weekend. Two things stood out. 1) brown floats, so they have probably been sinking and causing the overfill of the carbs when it sits. The needles actually look replaced recently. It could possibly have caused the bowls to be overfull at lower RPM where I am setting mixture and lean out at higher RPM, but my problems are far more likely to be caused by 2) red silt in the bottom of the bowl. Yeah, saw that and knew I had rust in the tank before I even pulled the petcocks. When I pulled them out the screen was completely blocked up by rust for an inch up the screen and the fuel filters flowed less and less while I was draining the gas out (funny the liner doesn't look bad when I look in the top of the tank with a light). The fine rust making it through could also very well be holding the neadle and seat open causing the drippy carbs as well. I picked up the new floats, filters, oil change parts, and ordered the tank stripper/prep/liner to get working on the tank. When it gets here, I repair the tank, reassmble the now cleaned carbs, change the oil, run through tune up process and then carb adjustment and see where I am, but I guess I better get used to the car commute for a few weeks.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, tank sealer gets here tonight. Anyone seal thier airhead tank? I have done one other tank (old Honda), but this one I will need to strip out the old liner. Any words of insight before I take this on? Prefered methods of stopping up the holes?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
What's the brand of sealer you got?

That red stuff clogging the filters and in the bowls isn't rust, but bits of the old sealer.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,669
Get a pound or two of roofing tacks/nails, add them to about 1/2 tank of soapy water and shakeroo. Drain, repeat til water is clear. Rinse, dry tank thoroughly. Follow the tank liner prep directions closely.

Local hardware store (like ACE) may have a bin of variously-sized rubber stoppers; get two for the outlets, one for the filler. Be careful plugging the tank up, the solvent in the tank liner will evaporate, pressurize the tank and pop the corks out.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #21
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

KBS coatings. They have a chemical stripper that is supposed to do a good job pulling the old liner to run before the cleaner. Will the nails still help when I run the cleaner? How hard are they to get out? Yeah, I saw the liner was red, but since the finer particles on the screen looked like rust I though that is what was making it through the filter. The screens did look pretty caked up with both.

On a side note I am revisiting thoughts about how far out of sinc my cylinder ignition is and the double S condition of the bike. I had been told by someone that it should not be too far out, but it is about a 1/4 of an inch of difference. I am starting to wonder if that is my high RPM vibration if not some of the overheating issue.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #22
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
i've used nuts with a string run thrum them. much easier to get out, and you know you've got all of them.

for shaking, i wrap the tank in a huge old sleeping bag for padding and put it in the clothes dryer with no heat. it shakes much better than i do.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
OK, I out of curiousity, spit on my block today after getting home and it sizzled like an egg on a campfire. It was on my 83 R100 that has an oil cooler as well. I just changed the oil a week ago. Are you saying I have a problem as well?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
Pink Floyd
Air Head

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike
OK, I out of curiousity, spit on my block today after getting home and it sizzled like an egg on a campfire. It was on my 83 R100 that has an oil cooler as well. I just changed the oil a week ago. Are you saying I have a problem as well?
When riding on a rainy day I notice that after getting up to temp, residual water that pools up in the cylinder head fins bubbles and hisses and any time I spit on my heads after the bike is up to temp it has sizzled like you said.

Of course everything is completely up to spec. I ride my /5 every single day and have had it across the country. I think the spit-check technique is bogus.
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #25
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Big John, what year is your bike?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
airheadpenguin
Danger to himself

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd
When riding on a rainy day I notice that after getting up to temp, residual water that pools up in the cylinder head fins bubbles and hisses and any time I spit on my heads after the bike is up to temp it has sizzled like you said.

Of course everything is completely up to spec. I ride my /5 every single day and have had it across the country. I think the spit-check technique is bogus.
I'm inclined to agree as the spit test sizzled on mine too after a 15 min ride
airheadpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #27
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
This is a real stupid question, but...

Is there/Would there be a difference in heat from the actual block versus the heads? I can just picture airhead owners around the world spitting on their bikes blocks today.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #28
VonTodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
+1 mine sizzles too
VonTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #29
VonTodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
All my old bikes get hot enough to cook an egg on, Actually I used to Cook a potato in foil by setting it on my old 66 triumph's bottom end right behind the cylinder. By the time I got to work i'd have a baked potato for lunch.
VonTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #30
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonTodd
All my old bikes get hot enough to cook an egg on, Actually I used to Cook a potato in foil by setting it on my old 66 triumph's bottom end right behind the cylinder. By the time I got to work i'd have a baked potato for lunch.
That is just ......

Weird
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote