Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #346
Papermaker
Infrequent Poster

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOETJE View Post
Anybody has experience with aftermarket shocks on the 1150/1100 RT ?.
I know it doesn't take away the weight difference, but it should help the handling. Is the wind protection ( noise and buffeting) any worse on the oilheads compared to the 1200 ?
I had a R1100RT with Ohlins shocks front and back and currently have an R1200RT with ESA. Even with the Ohlins on the R1100RT there's no comparison. The R1200RT handles far better IMHO.

Having said that, adding the Ohlins did improve both the ride and the handling of my R1100RT. Even my wife, who's not normally intune with such things, noticed the immediate improvement in ride quality after switching to the Ohlins shocks.

I found that the wind noise/buffetting for the rider was comparable between the two bikes. On the R1100RT I added an aftermarket windshield to improve buffeting for the passenger.
Papermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #347
BOETJE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Thank you so much for your replies gentlemen
BOETJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #348
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Yea, well, I'll get to it maybe over Thanksgiving weekend. This is not good.

Parts ~600.00, labor=free--->me! Probably my most challenging job!

Need to do the little stuff first, valve adj, change oil/filter, new ABS sensor for the front, etc.....

If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know.........chuck
Did my clutch earlier this year and added some pics and commentary in this thread. Slippage caused by leaking input shaft seal and/or bad slave cylinder. Installed the Siebenrock oil resistant disc just in case. It's slightly more than stock but much less than Touraech. While I had the trans out, I changed both rear main seals on the engine, and the input and output seals on the trans. I kept having leaks from the output shaft, make sure the seal is tight to the shaft. Wrote about my troubles here. All in all not that bad of a job if you have decent tools and some mechanical ability. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #349
Chuck az
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Finally a pic of my bike. It was Blue when I got it and I had it painted Lambo Primer Grey Metallic. I did the graphics on it myself.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #350
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck az View Post
... I did the graphics on it myself. ...
Great graphics!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #351
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Did my clutch earlier this year and added some pics and commentary in this thread. Slippage caused by leaking input shaft seal and/or bad slave cylinder. Installed the Siebenrock oil resistant disc just in case. It's slightly more than stock but much less than Touraech. While I had the trans out, I changed both rear main seals on the engine, and the input and output seals on the trans. I kept having leaks from the output shaft, make sure the seal is tight to the shaft. Wrote about my troubles here. All in all not that bad of a job if you have decent tools and some mechanical ability. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.
Your help would be much appreciated. My R1100RT has a leaky seal. Not the shaft seals but the one behind the gear sensor which has almost disintegrated. My problem is not with the seal though. It is the rubber boot covering the drive shaft. I took it out to check for oil leaks. There is a circular metal clip in there that acts as a catch to prevent it from coming off. Now i can't re-install it properly. Am I missing something? Any tricks? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #352
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

That snap ring is a royal pain in the neck. I was finally able to get it together with help from a friend. One of us held the boot in place while the other wrestled the snap ring IIRC. Install the rubber boot into the swingarm first. Attempt to install the snap ring repeatedly into the groove. There will probably be lots of colorful language. When you finally get it positioned properly, slide the swingarm with the boot installed carefully over the driveshaft so as not to disturb the boot. loosely install the pivot pins and attempt to install the boot over the lip on the trans. This will most likely result in more colorful language. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #353
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
That snap ring is a royal pain in the neck. I was finally able to get it together with help from a friend. One of us held the boot in place while the other wrestled the snap ring IIRC. Install the rubber boot into the swingarm first. Attempt to install the snap ring repeatedly into the groove. There will probably be lots of colorful language. When you finally get it positioned properly, slide the swingarm with the boot installed carefully over the driveshaft so as not to disturb the boot. loosely install the pivot pins and attempt to install the boot over the lip on the trans. This will most likely result in more colorful language. Good luck.
Got it in finally! Pretty much what you described colourful language included. Thanks. Now to put everything back together hopefully wihout any further problems. So much trouble from a $2 seal.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #354
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
Got it in finally! Pretty much what you described colourful language included. Thanks. Now to put everything back together hopefully wihout any further problems. So much trouble from a $2 seal.
I've had that damn swingarm off about 5 or 6 times in the last year and that boot is the most difficult part of the job IMO. Glad you got it back together.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #355
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Forgot to mention...

Rick Mayer kicks ass!

Went for the show special in Bloomsburg. Well worth it, I highly reccomend his work. I'll take better pics one of these days.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #356
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I'm looking at a 99 R1100Rt at a dealer with 48,000 miles. Supposedly it is a 1 owner traded in on a new 1600. It looks stunning.

It would seem prudent to contact the prior owner to ask maintenance questions. I know the rear splines need to be lubed periodically, but what else do I ask him?

I'm coming from a 85 650 Nighthawk that is pretty much bullet proof (hello Hondo). I know the BMW will require more maintenance than the Honda, but I don't want to buy a bunch of trouble. The dealer is 80 miles from my house, but I think I've found someone 15 miles away who works on BMW's so I should be OK.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #357
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
You and I have a very similar riding history... My previous bike was 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 with 47K miles... I loved it, but love my 1999 R1100Rt even more. It sounds like this bike might be a winner. Mine had 51,000 on it when I bought it earlier this year... 58,000 now... I have never been happier on two wheels...
Welcome to the Ultimate Driving Machine, RT class...
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #358
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

After I researched the bike on the dealer's site and went personally to view it, they told me the ABS pump was out when I called to ask the name of the prior owner. Shouldn't this have been in the ad? They said they were going to fix it if it could be done with used parts, then they were going to get back to me. I don't see it happening.

2000 ST1100 ABS
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #359
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
You haven't mentioned the price they are asking? Is it a steal, or a deal? Hard to tell.

Regarding the ABS, they may not have known that it was not functional when they placed the ad. Especially if it is not a BMW dealership. If it is not a BMW dealership, then their knowledge of the systems and status of those system can be very limited. These bikes are not just another Harley... or V-Twin... Did they give you the name of the previous owner? Do your best to get in touch with that person ---who can fill you in on the REAL condition of the bike since the bike is no longer his responsibility, there is no reason not to be honest with you...

If you have the VIN number, you may be able to get the vehicle maintenance history from another BMW dealership... so try that...

You could get a functional replacement ABS system pump from a BMW forum member either here or elsewhere, or even ebay for $500 or less. Just something else to consider.

If the delaer give you an uneazy feeling... it might just be better to walk away from this one. No one can instill in you confidence in a dealer we don't know... a documented BMW vehicle maintenance history report is your best friend in this circumstance... lacking that, actual receipts for repairs is second.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Post the website for the dealer if you are not afraid of some lurker stealing this deal from you... maybe a forum member knows this bike and can speak up.
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #360
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

It was the BMW dealer in Louisville. The salesman said it was noticed on their computer, so they knew about it. They were asking $4,999, which is right at retail. It is a beautiful color and shows well. It does have a drop, but it could be easily fixed and doesn't detract from the appearance of the bike much. I would guess the mechanics have a lot of down time in January and they could fix it easily if they could get the part. If I'm going to buy it as is I would have to pay a lot less than retail for it.

2000 ST1100 ABS