Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #436
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Thanks! The bonus here is that this pic represents making it to the Pacific Ocean (from Charlotte, NC). I bought the bike in June of last year and I've now parked it against the Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico, the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez.

Next? Maybe the St. Lawrence Seaway? Lake Ontario? I'm open to suggestions!
Gaspe, maybe?:

Meat Cove, Nova Scotia, maybe?:

North shore of Lake Superior, maybe?

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #437
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
Gaspe, maybe?:
Meat Cove, Nova Scotia, maybe?
North shore of Lake Superior, maybe?
Nova Scotia is absolutely on my shortlist!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #438
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Nova Scotia is absolutely on my shortlist!
Here is a good place to start planning your NS trip. The Cabot Trail is the most well known, and deservedly so. The Ceilidh Trail, the Sunrise Trail, and the Marine Drive are also among my favorites.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #439
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Gaspe, maybe?:

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #440
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Here is a good place to start planning your NS trip. The Cabot Trail is the most well known, and deservedly so. The Ceilidh Trail, the Sunrise Trail, and the Marine Drive are also among my favorites.
Good info. Thanks!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #441
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
I have ridden the Cabot Trail and camped at Meat Cove. The best fish chowder in the world is to be had in Meat Cove.....

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #442
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 397
Hey guys,

I got a pair of these beemer buddy grips last week and have to say they are really a great product. They just wrap around the OEM grip which I found kind of small on my RT, and turn them into a nice cushioned rubberized grip.

Really nice product that's super simple to install, and really made my hands feel good after riding all day.

You can check them out at www.originalbeemerbuddies.com if interested.

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #443
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Thanks for the links.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #444
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I have a question for the RT owners here, did any of you go from an FJR1300 to an RT ? Years ago i got the chance to ride for a weekend a 96 R1100RT , and even though i really liked the way it handled itself on the road , i had a problem with my knee`s hitting the inner fairing (had at that time an 86 Concours & no knee hitting problems) & never got a chance to ride an R1150RT. Well fast foward to date, i also have a 94 K1100LT & still have knees hitting inner fairing while hiting the brakes (guess i slide foward a bit) but never have that problem at all on the 07 FJR i own, now my question is , since i never rode a R1200RT , i figured i`d ask if there is more room in the fairing with the R1200RT than past RT models. ?? For some reason the R1200RT seems like a great replacement for my FJR (most likely next year though)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #445
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
That's a tough one. What's your height. That would make a difference. I've got the 1200RT and had an ST1300 at one time. No knees hitting cowling on those two. Never ridden an FJR. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #446
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdriver View Post
That's a tough one. What's your height. That would make a difference. I've got the 1200RT and had an ST1300 at one time. No knees hitting cowling on those two. Never ridden an FJR. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam.
I`m 6'1 32" inseam , but i think the top of my leg is slightly longer to the knee than most 32" inseam`s. On my K1100LT, i try to sit as far back as the seat will allow. (no tank hugging) & that is just with jeans on , but with my over pants , my knee pads rest right on the fairing of the LT. I like to work on my own bikes & think the RT would be eisier to maintain except clutch replacement over the FJR (just me thinking out loud) It`s funny how the LT feels so much bigger than the FJR , except for leg room.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #447
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Xdriver;18875791] I've got the 1200RT and had an ST1300 at one time. No knees hitting cowling on those two. QUOTE]

Can you tell me the difference in feel & air management between the 2. The RT looks wider than the ST (fairing wise) and both sure look wider than my FJR . Besides i like the extra charging system the RT has over the rest in it`s class.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #448
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 168
Just a quick check in here from a F650GS twin rider giving some props to the RT. I've been thinking about something more road oriented and decided to take my local dealer's RT demo bike for just over an hour.

I have to say I was really impressed. Composed, plenty of power without being overwhelming, doesn't feel like a heavy bike (easily +125 lb on mine), comfy riding position, great wind protection. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would and can really see how you could comfortably take this bike 1000 miles in a weekend. Vibration was higher than I expected at idle, but seemed to be fairly mild at speed - the F-twin bikes have a little bit of buzzy vibe at highway speeds, and I'd be happy to be rid of that.

Concerns? Well #1, how to pay for it . #2, Seems the bike will be really warm here in the Texas summers with all that fairing, but at least there was air flow around the helmet with the screen in the down position. #3, Will the bike handle the occasional dirt or gravel road?

I plan to rent one soon for a weekend to get some more time on one before I see what's in the checkbook.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #449
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post

Can you tell me the difference in feel & air management between the 2. The RT looks wider than the ST (fairing wise) and both sure look wider than my FJR . Besides i like the extra charging system the RT has over the rest in it`s class.
The ST is definitely narrower and therefore gets more wind buffet to the rider. 2-up the passenger gets battered. My SO took a ride on a ST and a K12GT and vetoed both due to impossible buffeting she was getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
Just a quick check in here from a F650GS twin rider giving some props to the RT. I've been thinking about something more road oriented and decided to take my local dealer's RT demo bike for just over an hour.

I have to say I was really impressed. Composed, plenty of power without being overwhelming, doesn't feel like a heavy bike (easily +125 lb on mine), comfy riding position, great wind protection. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would and can really see how you could comfortably take this bike 1000 miles in a weekend. Vibration was higher than I expected at idle, but seemed to be fairly mild at speed - the F-twin bikes have a little bit of buzzy vibe at highway speeds, and I'd be happy to be rid of that.

Concerns? Well #1, how to pay for it . #2, Seems the bike will be really warm here in the Texas summers with all that fairing, but at least there was air flow around the helmet with the screen in the down position. #3, Will the bike handle the occasional dirt or gravel road?

I plan to rent one soon for a weekend to get some more time on one before I see what's in the checkbook.

Good analysis: Depending on mileage on the bike, the boxer engines get much smoother after about 12000 miles. Warmth might be a concern due to the great weather protection, but living and riding in south Louisiana in the summer (currently 90+ temps, 80% humidity, Heat index 110+) I really cannot complain about that with my mesh riding gear (hi vis yellow/orange Olympia jacket, Motoport Airmesh II Kevlar pants). I am quite comfortable while moving, and unless stopped for more than 3 minutes, I am not getting overheated.

An easy upgrade to any RT is to purchase the RT-P fan and shroud kit and install it with a toggle switch on the handlebars. When you are in very hot temps and moving slowly or get caught in stopped traffic, that fan keeps the bike very happy. Most people upgrade the windscreen (Cal Sci for me) and seat (Kontour on mine). Otherwise, the bike is outstanding off the showroom floor.

The RT is capable of running on dirt or gravel, but it is not a dirt bike. I run logging roads sometime, and no problem. Deep gravel is problematic for any street bike, so beware. If you want to play mostly in off-pavement settings the 650 GS you have is a better choice with proper tires. If mostly on-road, the RT is tough to beat with any bike. Best all-round sport tourer on the market right now.

Beware of test rides and loaner bikes :

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...l=1#post151082

6000 mile evaluation and comparison with old bike:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...l=1#post152520

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 06:12 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #450
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
If mostly on-road, the RT is tough to beat with any bike. Best all-round sport tourer on the market right now.

Beware of test rides and loaner bikes :
I love the motor on the ST1300 (smoooooth), but at 700+ lb, it is a bit porky. FJR and Connie both have good and bad qualities. The RT seems to be the best compromise for me.

And funny you should mention test rides and demo bikes.... I was at my local dealer this past Friday, and their RT demo bike was there, looking a little worse for wear. They had given it out as a service loaner and it had a scratched up cylinder head and parts of the front fender missing. I promise, it wasn't me....