Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #811
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I've had the Z8 tires on my 09 RT for about 4000 miles and they are the best I've had for a long time. They replaced some pretty worn PR2s that had about 10k on them.

The ride is great and handling is perfect. At 4000 the rear is just starting to show wear and the front looks like new.
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #812
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 85
Metzler Z8s

All the feedback seems very positive, that will be my next set of skins!

Thanks for the info...

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #813
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,419
Talked with Jim At Max BMW about my bike.It seems that the fuel pump was on the way out,they found brass in the fuel tank under the pump.So hopefully that will be the end of that problem.I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #814
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
After 4 days on a rented RT (ride report in the works), I have to say the weakness of the bike - for me - is the engine. Everything else is really good.
And let me clarify - I wouldn't say the RT's engine is weak in that it lacks enough power (although... is there ever enough ), but the rest of the bike is so good, the vibration of the engine - particularly under full throttle - is the weakest link on the bike IMHO. Everything else is just so good - riding position / ergos, fairing, storage, controls, handling, gas mileage ...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #815
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
And let me clarify - I wouldn't say the RT's engine is weak in that it lacks enough power (although... is there ever enough ), but the rest of the bike is so good, the vibration of the engine - particularly under full throttle - is the weakest link on the bike IMHO. Everything else is just so good - riding position / ergos, fairing, storage, controls, handling, gas mileage ...
What speed/rpm were you when the vibes were bad?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #816
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
As proof positive that everyone is indeed different, it was the mechanical feel of the engine that first attracted me to BMW R bikes. I don't find it buzzy at all, and think the engine lends the bike it's animal magnetism.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #817
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
What speed/rpm were you when the vibes were bad?
Well... I will say that this was a rental bike that was overdue for service, so it might need a TB sync. The engine seemed best between 3500 and about 5000 rpm. I was probably running the RPMs too low in the range. Vibes weren't bad per se, but they were really noticeable under throttle under about 3500. I would cruise in 5th in the 55 and 60 mph zones to keep the buzziness down. The F bike is happy at lower revs and gets worse above 5000 RPM, so I tend to keep revs lower. Mileage was still good at 52 average over 900 miles.

Having said all this, I get hand numbness sometimes after lots of riding my F658GS (particularly off-roading) and I feel pretty good after 4 days on the RT. So perhaps the engine is not that mentally pleasing, but the body seems OK with it. It just feels rough after having ridden the K1300GT, ST1300 and FJR, but there was a noticeable absence of the high-frequency vibes that the GT and FJR gave off. Riding position of the RT was excellent and no doubt helped the hands.

At the end of the day, the RT seems to be the best package for me, and that's what really matters.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #818
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
As proof positive that everyone is indeed different, it was the mechanical feel of the engine that first attracted me to BMW R bikes. I don't find it buzzy at all, and think the engine lends the bike it's animal magnetism.
I'm 100% on board with that. I've never ridden a multi that I liked as much as a good twin or single. I find multis too automotive in terms of character. My RT and Scrambler both have just enough "rumble" to remind you they're bikes, but not enough to cause any discomfort.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #819
JBADV
searching for sanity

How many miles on the rental ? And what year is it ?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #820
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
CrustyAPO, the feeling of uncertaintly in turns, especially on tar snakes, is why I want to get rid of th OEM Bridgestones. You never really feel planted in the corners. I'll give up some tire life for stability and better handling.Jim Canton, OH

I got my '08 back in July with 1200 miles on it and it still had the OE tires on it. I had picked up a set of Z8's for my Rockster (the tires were whupped), but decided to put the Z8's on the RT instead and swapped the old RT tires onto the Rockster. I didn't have alot of miles on the stock RT tire, but they seemed pretty stable at speed and in the corners. But the Z8's were the "latest technology" in tires so I put them on the bike I would be riding more. I do notice they get a little squirrley on tar snakes, but that can be said of almost any tire. Going straight down the road, sometimes I notice a slight weave, might be wind induced or I'm just limp-wristing the bars. But in the corners I have yet to feel any untoward handling, even at speed. All in all I am happy with them. I will have to see how many miles I get out of them before I make my final judgment. I did notice when checking the tread face, that I am scuffing off half of the Metzler Elephant.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #821
JBADV
searching for sanity

At 4000 miles I thought the Z8s were good.At 7000 miles I am not as happy.They are about done,and are starting to cup.The ) shape in the center of the tread is giving alot of bad feedback to the bars. YMMV. I am thinking about trying the PR3s next.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #822
JBADV
searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
I just picked mine up after a warranty repair for a new fuel pump,and I had the 6K service done.This bike runs better than it ever has.Very smooth.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #823
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
How many miles on the rental ? And what year is it ?
2012, about 15k miles after I got done putting 900 on it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #824
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 419
Hey JB,

Glad to hear that you're back up and running! Did they say why the pump might have crapped out? (And did you have any other indications that it was going before that morning?)

Ride safe everyone, that sun is getting lower, and the deer are moving here in the NorthEast. The sun glare in the morning and early afternoon is becoming a real factor!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #825
JBADV
searching for sanity

It was thought to be the shitty gas that we now have,and it's going to get worse,that caused the pump to fail.I wonder if the fuel pump is made in China ????? I was told that StarTron would help.I wish they would keep the corn out of the gas.
I really had no warning that the pump was failing.With a new fuel pump and a MaxBMW 6k service this bike is running great.