Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #76
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,573
You'll save a ton of money doing the work yourself. It's not difficult at all. Check out the 'Wisdom' section at the bottom of the page for procedures, short cuts and specs. It's also a great way to learn the workings of your moto.

For instance, your $700 24k service cost me $150. Beemer Boneyard has a kit already put together with all the filters, fluids, washers, o-rings, and gaskets that you'll need.

Tires are normal wear items and can easily be spooned on and off with little difficulty. Shocks, too are wear items. Just bad timing it seems.

The inmates here are always very helpful if you decide to give it a try.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #77
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr
The plugs only have 2500 miles on them. I'm thinking it may be the Hall effect unit working intermitently. I've been reading about heat from the engine making the wires brittle and opening up.
No such thing. They either work or don't. Someone will call bullshit...but that's how they work.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #78
GoFar
My butt hurts.

[quote=JADM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Eighty seven cents per mile not counting gas and oil? I don't believe it. What in hell did you buy?

2003 R1150RT with 18,857miles on it
it looks great like new
most of the upgrades are on it at time of sale. service records checked out.

I asked that BMW check & replace oil & tranny fluid $100
First I had a break sensor go out. $150.
This lead to finding that the tranny seal was leaking $600
Then the rear shock went out (replaced with ohlins) $1000, installed & on sale (cheaper than the BMW shock)
Rewiring of the driving lights $300
Tires that seemed close to new are said to need to be replaced $600
24K service $700

Owned =1 year
Total mileage= 4000
Total repairs= $3500

$3500 divided by 4000 driven =87.5 cents per mile in repairs (not counting gas & oil,or up grades)

Now,
My question to the group is …… is this normal up keep cost for owning a BMW????
I have read this group –and others before I got the my RT and got the impression that this bike was going to be
About as trouble free as a sundial..

How can some of you go around the world on a bike
And I have the same bike that needs to go to the dealer every other time it leaves my drive way.
Well, you bought a bike that needed some maintenance. You need to do the math of 22,487 divided by your costs. That's the real picture. Or, you have zero maintenance cost over 4,000 miles as those repair costs included the cost of aquisition.

FWIW...I've had very minimal cost over about 67,000 miles. I have replaced the shocks and the clutch (not needed, but the engine/tranny were split so it made sense), swing arm bearings ($100)...and that's about it. The rest has been fluids, plugs...filters....that's it.

So, no, they aren't expensive to maintain...and they're dirt simple, even the later model 1150's.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #79
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

I removed the tank yesterday and removed the coil and wires. Tested coil today and resistance is slightly high on the primary side and quite high on the secondary side. Fingers are crossed that this is the problem. Waiting for new to me coil from beemer boneyard.

Also changed the fuel filter while the tank was off. It was almost full, naturally.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #80
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Changed the coil and wires today. Test ride, ran good. Still doesn't want to restart after it sits about an hour.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #81
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,898
Maybe run 1/2 can of Seafoam through the fuel system to remove any garbage -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #82
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Replaced the hall effect unit this afternoon and the bike still will not start. Only sparks intermittently.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #83
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Quote:
Replaced the hall effect unit this afternoon and the bike still will not start. Only sparks intermittently.
What year? Let me know and I'll see if I can help a little...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #84
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Rode to work about a week and a half ago. No problems. Tried to start after work and it cranked and cranked. Finally started, got it home and it would not restart. Tested it out and found very weak spark. Tested the coil and the primary side showed higher resistance than it should have. Replaced coil, plugs and wires while it was apart. Also replaced the fuel filter while the tank was off. It started after doing this work, though not as easily as it should have, IMHO. Test rode, ran very well. Tried to restart at home to no avail. Okay, sounds like hall effect going bad. Replaced hall effect. Still won't start easily, but finally does start. Looking back, it seems that each time it would start was after I would put it on the charger. The battery isn't long for the world after all the cranking and charging it's done so I have a new one on order.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #85
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Quote:
Rode to work about a week and a half ago. No problems. Tried to start after work and it cranked and cranked. Finally started, got it home and it would not restart. Tested it out and found very weak spark. Tested the coil and the primary side showed higher resistance than it should have. Replaced coil, plugs and wires while it was apart. Also replaced the fuel filter while the tank was off. It started after doing this work, though not as easily as it should have, IMHO. Test rode, ran very well. Tried to restart at home to no avail. Okay, sounds like hall effect going bad. Replaced hall effect. Still won't start easily, but finally does start. Looking back, it seems that each time it would start was after I would put it on the charger. The battery isn't long for the world after all the cranking and charging it's done so I have a new one on order.
Before you start it, check the voltage at the battery. Then start it, and check the voltage at the battery again. Do you notice the abs lights glowing? Are you getting any abs faults?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #86
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
[quote=JADM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Eighty seven cents per mile not counting gas and oil? I don't believe it. What in hell did you buy?

2003 R1150RT with 18,857miles on it
it looks great like new
most of the upgrades are on it at time of sale. service records checked out.

I asked that BMW check & replace oil & tranny fluid $100
First I had a break sensor go out. $150.
This lead to finding that the tranny seal was leaking $600
Then the rear shock went out (replaced with ohlins) $1000, installed & on sale (cheaper than the BMW shock)
Rewiring of the driving lights $300
Tires that seemed close to new are said to need to be replaced $600
24K service $700

Owned =1 year
Total mileage= 4000
Total repairs= $3500

$3500 divided by 4000 driven =87.5 cents per mile in repairs (not counting gas & oil,or up grades)

Now,
My question to the group is …… is this normal up keep cost for owning a BMW????
I have read this group –and others before I got the my RT and got the impression that this bike was going to be
About as trouble free as a sundial..

How can some of you go around the world on a bike
And I have the same bike that needs to go to the dealer every other time it leaves my drive way.
First off, LOL at paying $600 for a set of tires. They must have seen you coming. Second, $300 to REWIRE lights? You are counting someone elses screw up (i'm assume it wasn't your own as you seem to have the dealer do everything) as a maintenance item?

Also, you have to remember that most people here don't have a problem working on their own bikes. That significantly reduces costs
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #87
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Question about 2004 R1150RT

I spotted a 2004 R1150RT on a dealers web site and was thinking about taking a look at in person.

The price seems a little high as they're asking $9800. I've seen several other 2004 RT's in Cycle Trader for $8000 which seems a little more reasonable. The only reason I can see for such a high price is that the bike has really low mileage for an RT, it's only 10k miles.

I've got a question to those with knowledge about RT's of this vintage. Are there items to watch out for from on this model year? Is there any reason to be concerned about such low mileage? I've known cars that were nothing but trouble after they sat for some time because seals started to crack. I don't know if this bike was ridden 10k in the first year and then sat in a garage or was ridden less then 2k each year.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #88
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
I spotted a 2004 R1150RT on a dealers web site and was thinking about taking a look at in person.

The price seems a little high as they're asking $9800. I've seen several other 2004 RT's in Cycle Trader for $8000 which seems a little more reasonable. The only reason I can see for such a high price is that the bike has really low mileage for an RT, it's only 10k miles.

I've got a question to those with knowledge about RT's of this vintage. Are there items to watch out for from on this model year? Is there any reason to be concerned about such low mileage? I've known cars that were nothing but trouble after they sat for some time because seals started to crack. I don't know if this bike was ridden 10k in the first year and then sat in a garage or was ridden less then 2k each year.
That's pretty spendy on an '04. You're right to be a little concerned; who knows how the bike was ridden? FWIW, '04 was technically the last year of the 1150 (you might find an ultra rare '05) and was the zenith of that model. Some people don't like the servo brake system...I love it personally. My '04 has been perfect and is approaching what I'd consider avg. mileage at almost 70.

$9800 for a bone stock '04 seems way high as you'll want to do some stuff to it to make it better FOR YOU. Saddles, deep lids, XM, GPS...Windscreens...etc. Many used bikes will get you this stuff.

Shout out with any specific questions or concerns!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #89
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFar
$9800 for a bone stock '04 seems way high as you'll want to do some stuff to it to make it better FOR YOU. Saddles, deep lids, XM, GPS...Windscreens...etc. Many used bikes will get you this stuff.
The bike has a Sergeant seat, MotoLites, HyperLites, Remus exhaust, BMW top case according to the add.

I'm still thinking $8k with that stuff seems more in line with other '04 model RTs that are listed around the country. I'll know more once I take an actual peek at the bike in person. I'm trying to get a feel for that model year in general.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #90
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFar
Before you start it, check the voltage at the battery. Then start it, and check the voltage at the battery again. Do you notice the abs lights glowing? Are you getting any abs faults?
No ABS light, just the flashing brake failure light that goes off at 4 or 5 mph. I'll have to wait till I get home from work to test voltage at the battery. I have had to keep it on the charger while working on it due to the repeated cranking. I'm certain that it's not long for this earth.