Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #1021
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 80
Deek, I think tank bags are almost a personal thing...what works for one person may not work for the other. I have both the larger (17L i think?) regular, and the teardrop version I used on the GS, and for the RT the regular one seems to works best. Plenty of room for all the stuff I need for long road trips, and I like the map pocked desing. The BMW tankbag seems to be very popular too, as it requires no straps, just clicks into the tank.

As for wind protection, it DOES get too warm in the summer. I'm going to experiment with modifying a stock shield that a buddy took off his RT, and see if I can get some more air coming around the sides. On the GS I was using the Ztechnik shield for an adventure, and it was just about right from a protection / airflow perspective. Maybe my solution will be one of the new WC GS with cruise!

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #1022
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
I'm currently in the market for a sport tourer and figured I'd ask you guys some questions.
I just bought my third R1200RT and have rented a R1200GS or two, so will try to answer. First particulars: I am in my 60s, 6', 210 lbs, 33 inseam. I do not tolerate well heat on my legs, nor wind blast.

Quote:
... it's insane maintenance and horrible wind protection. I'm looking to replace it with something a little bit better suited to long distance riding without giving up too much in the handling department..... a monster of an engine isn't really that critical. Good handling however is a major requirement. .....the relatively light weigh and short wheelbase of the r1200 series compared to the bigger ST bikes leads them to excel in the handling and cornering departments. ........does the RT still handle like a big luxury touring motorcycle?
I love these questions as it gives me a change to brag! The R1200RT has the best wind protection of any ST I've ridden without any reservations. Do enough research and you'll see even those who choose a non-R1200RT will admit its wind and weater protection is better. Handling is top notch.....not a crotch rocket, but with that low engine of decent HP and torque, it's a ball to ride in the twisties (I've done the Dragon a couple of times, toured the Rockies, East Texas Hill country, etc......don't recall anyone ever waiting for me. The RT has the best handling I've had, but not the largest engine.....but it's certainly adequate...and feels so predictable, safe and comfortable at speed. The RT's light weight is a significant thing for me......plus I like the 50mpg I get on it! The RT does NOT handle like big luxury touring motorcycle at all.....now the BMW K bikes might....like the new K1600. But I am not interested in those, nor do I think you are.

Quote:
Another question: For those who have ridden both, which would you rather take down a twisty (paved) canyon road? An R1200GSA or an R1200RT. Which would you rather take on a multi day motorcycle camping trip?
Both bikes are fun to ride, power and handling is pretty close. The RT has so much better weather and wind protection, and other creature comforts that I'd choose it over the GS anytime EXCEPT where I'd expect some "off road" riding. There it does a better job......and doesn't have so many expensive part to replace from gravel damange, etc. The GS is also easier to "rig" or personalize with things you like: panniers, electronics, etc because it's a "naked" bike. I think either are fine for a camping trip, but I don't do those. It is probably easier to load up a GS however, with a tent, etc.

Quote:
..Last question, how is the wind protection on the RT for a someone with a TALL torso. I'm 6'4 with a measly 34'' inseam which has lead to endless frustration with buffeting on the mts1200. Am I correct in assuming that the RT is going to have vastly superior wind protection than the GSA?
Can't answer how the RT's wind protection applies to someone of your height. For me, there is NO buffeting at any speed....of course, one has to adjust the electrically controlled windscreen depending on speed. Yes, the RT is much, much better as far as wind protection......there are tons of after market GS screens, but non are electronically adjustable as far as I know, and some are easier to adjust that others. I insist on an adjustable screen that can be adjusted while riding. So for the GS, that means the Madstad among others. I think even for the RT there are Madstad and other supplement adjustable wind deflectors that might suit a tall rider. I don't have experience with those.

Holler if I can help with other questions.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #1023
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
https://www.teslaleds.com/default.aspx. I mounted these under my mirrors on my rt. 3600 limes and 200$ cheaper than piaa
How/where did you mount them? Any photos available. Does the pair come with any wiring and switches? Where did you mount the switch? No relay required?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #1024
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moose View Post
Im looking for soem advice. Im looking for a hexhead 1200RT ( 2005-2009) I know that 05-06 have the servo assisted ....

A couple of the things I have already been advise to look for.
  • maintenance history,
  • history of how the bike has been ridden
  • options ( cruise, heated grips & heated seat are among the one that are most important to me)
  • farkles,
  • overall appearance
  • vibe from the current owner
  • price
Thanks for your input
Don't think those servo-assisted brakes are a no-deal. I had them and they are no problem, at least from a riding perspective. No idea about maintenance, mine were trouble free. Some complain there are "no brakes until the engine is running". No so - reduced brakes with the ignition off, but still fine for moving it around the garage, etc. If you want full brakes, turn on the ignition - engine doesn't have to run for full brakes. They do make "electicial/pump" noise with the ignition on but the engine not running.....who cares?

Cruise on the RT is outstanding. Heated grips and seat are available on at least about 75% of the ones for sale. Important farkles for me are: highway pegs, engine guards, Hyperlights.

I just traded a 2009 for a 2013.....spur of the moment, I could have gotten a grand more selling it outright than trading, but I was in a "hurry" with motorcycle-lust!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #1025
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Agent View Post
Howdy, a friend of mine died last Fall while riding his '07 RT. The section of road he was on wasn't particularly tough and his riding partners said that he wasn't riding particularly aggressively. All we really know is that he went down in a turn, he slid across about 20 yards of shoulder, and the bike and he struck a tree. Has anyone heard of brake failures or lock-ups with '07 RT's? We'll never bring him back, but we're still trying to establish some closure and make sense of it. Thanks!

Sorry for your loss. I had a 07 r1200r with "conventional brakes" and am now on a rt with servo brakes and I have numerous friends with various year K and R bikes. I never had an issue with using either system and haven't heard of a problem with failure/lock ups as you described.

It is hard to make sense of a serious injury or loss of a loved one/friend when there can be such minute "things" (road surface variances, vehicle capabilities/set up, rider error, etc.), that can occur at just the wrong place and time that end with one vehicle(s) and it's operator(s) having no issues and then cause the next one to go into a loss of control that results in a crash. I have ridden with many guys that the very subjective description of not riding terribly aggressive would fit anything from one notch below Moto GP to Driving Miss Daisy, sorry. but the variables are incredible to calculate and instead I would look at the roadway for tire and skid/scuff/gouge marks, the vehicle for contact and induced damage and would have checked the brakes, tires, etc., themselves after the recovery.

With a fatality, there is usually some minimum level of collision reconstruction and that information should be available to help in understanding the more objective findings that may help with processing the events. Good luck to you, his family and may he Rest in Peace.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #1026
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Howdy, a friend of mine died last Fall while riding his '07 RT. The section of road he was on wasn't particularly tough and his riding partners said that he wasn't riding particularly aggressively. All we really know is that he went down in a turn, he slid across about 20 yards of shoulder, and the bike and he struck a tree. Has anyone heard of brake failures or lock-ups with '07 RT's? We'll never bring him back, but we're still trying to establish some closure and make sense of it. Thanks!
I am hoping that this is a real post from a real ADV inmate, not a troll from an ambulance-chasing lawyer.

Because, it is a shame, but accidents do happen. Riding is an inherently risky behavior.

What you are writing is that you know that your friend crashed in a turn, for reasons unknown - but you are surmising that a brake lock-up was the cause. What makes you think that? Several thousands of motorcyclists die each year, most of them in single-vehicle accidents, and a significant number while failing to negotiate a curve without the involvement of BMW ABS systems - therefore your friend's incident, while sad, is not unique and could be due to a multitude of factors.

I am guessing that you speculate on a possible cause that was not evident after the crash: if there was a real detectable failure, it would have been determined in the course of post-crash investigation.

That is why I find your question, singling out a brake lock-up, to be surprising. Not knowing what to make of that, all I can do is to respond that ABS failures that I have read about result in lack of ABS functionality (the very opposite of lockup) or in loss of power assist to the electric power brake system. I do not recall reports of them failing mid-ride; rather, they become disabled following an unsuccessful Power-On Self Test.

Anecdotally, last generations of iABS systems were very robust. My '06 GS and '03RT do have the electrically assisted brake system and I do follow any posts and gossip on that subject. I have not encountered anything systemic reported on any of the forums devoted to these bikes that would account for a frequent reason of a crash while negotiating a curve.

rdwalker screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:37 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #1027
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I have posted a 2011 RT for sale. here is the link.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859091
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #1028
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
The previous answers are correct: There are a lot of unknowns in your description of the accident that could be pertinent:

1. What kind of helmet/jacket/pants was being worn
2. What speed did this incident occur ?
3. Did he hit his head on the tree?
4. How much did the rider weigh?
5. Road conditions
6. Did the bike have ABS? Some 07 RT's did not have them at all to save cost, at that time something like $1200 or so.
7. How experienced was the rider, and how often did he ride the RT?
8. Autopsy results. Was a medical condition the initiator of the event ?

Impacts with fixed objects result in huge energy transfers that can cause fatal injuries due to high induced G-loads. A head strike even at "low" speed even with a helmet can cause a fatality easily.

As noted, most single bike accidents involve running out of a curve for some reason. Commonly, the rider enters at an uncomfortable speed for his level of skill and then panics doing a number of things that result in loss of control:

1. Throttle is released quickly, destabilizing the suspension
2. Rider has target fixation on what he is trying to avoid (the side of the road).
3. Brake(s) are grabbed, not squeezed, resulting in either a high side or low side crash and resulting slide depending on which wheel locked up first and the riders reaction to that.
4. Usually the rider tries to "bicycle steer" the bike and that causes instant tracking into what he was trying to avoid because he counter-steered the bike precisely where he did not wish to go.

As you should know, ABS systems will not prevent any of this from happening if the rider is not properly riding through the turn. Stuff on the roadway can result in instant loss of control. Oil, Diesel fuel, sand, mud, rocks, etc. are all dangerous to a bike when it is leaning into a turn. If the brake is applied suddenly, there is a very slight lag before the ABS detects the wheel stall and releases the pressure, but that little bit of time when in a turn will still cause the loss of traction enough to cause a crash due to the physics involved.

Remember that the greater the lean angle, the more of traction "pie" is being used to hold the bike in the turn, and the less is available for braking.

Also keep in mind that an accident situation is generally never caused by a single event. They tend to be a cascade of things stacking up with the accident being the final result. You may never determine the exact cause. It could easily be simple pilot error.

Sadly, bad stuff happens to good people and we have to accept that when we participate in hazardous activities. I have to say that given the choice, dying quickly while doing something you love is not a bad way to go. I absolutely know that there are many things worse than a quick death.

Godspeed to your friend.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:43 PM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1029
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,681
Hello,
just got my transmission out of my 1150 with yet another splines stripped syndrome
Anybody here knows for sure if other models 1150's(GS,R,ST) share the same transmission except the colour wich on RT is black?
It looks to me that they all the same
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #1030
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 915
Does anyone know what functions on the Nav IV GPS the rider can control using the RTs control wheel?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #1031
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Does anyone know what functions on the Nav IV GPS the rider can control using the RTs control wheel?
The short answer is none. The control wheel works on the radio, volume by rolling forward and back. Changing channels by pushing on side of control wheel. The 1600 GTL is a different story.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #1032
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Look what followed me home the other day:

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #1033
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Nice. How do you like that comfort seat?

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #1034
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice1972 View Post
Nice. How do you like that comfort seat?
I've only put ~50 miles on the bike, but so far its comfy. It's much nicer to me than that stock seats on the R1200GS, F650GS and Ducati Monster. The only issue so far is that it puts you in a pocket that's not conducive to altering body position side to side. (were there less of me the pocket issue might not be present or as pronounced)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1035
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Look what followed me home the other day:

Sure is pretty. Congratulations.