Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #1051
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Simple Three Step Process:

1. It is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

2. Quid pro quo

3. Roses and chocolate when not expected tend to get forgiveness for most things. Or it can be used to get "Attaboy" point accruals. Just remember that one "OH S**T" uses up all accrued "Attaboy".

PLAN B: (use in case the 3-step process fails)

1. Obtain desired motorcycle, and a fancy multi-speed bicycle.

2. Park motorcycle in a rental storage shed about a mile away from your house.

3. Tell SO that you are going for a ride on your new bicycle. Ride around and end up at the motorcycle storage shed. Get on motorcycle and ride, then reverse process after some reasonable amount of time.

NOTES ABOUT PLAN B:

Be absolutely certain that your ride route does not intersect any location your SO might be in the family car. Getting discovered in this manner is really bad (Officially this is an "OH S**T" ) and will probably result in divorce. A neighbor of mine had this problem.

Of course, he now has a 30 foot go-fast boat with 3 huge Mercury engines on it, and the nice "decorations" to go with it. Not too sure if this makes it a problem or a benefit.
Genius

its going to be a work in progress but i'll let you know if i survive

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1052
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,760
My wife HATES riding on the back of my Buell. Sat on an RT for 15ish minutes and she is pretty sure that she will be more comfy on the back, so we bought it. 2008 with 32ishK miles.

I am thinking that I will put on peg lowering brackets for her and I, plus I was planning on having the seats built up a little (I am 6'3" and Bon Bon is just short of 6').

I really hope it works out better than the Buell, I was/am pretty bummed that we really did not ride together that much.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #1053
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
My wife HATES riding on the back of my Buell. Sat on an RT for 15ish minutes and she is pretty sure that she will be more comfy on the back, so we bought it. 2008 with 32ishK miles.

I am thinking that I will put on peg lowering brackets for her and I, plus I was planning on having the seats built up a little (I am 6'3" and Bon Bon is just short of 6').

I really hope it works out better than the Buell, I was/am pretty bummed that we really did not ride together that much.
Get the top box if you don't have one already. Besides providing the comfort of a back rest for your wife, it provides a place for her stuff. Women appreciate being able to bring all their stuff.............

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #1054
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,177
So this weekend I managed to toss about 210 miles on the bike. I wound up riding out to Napa, hitting up Bouchon bakery, riding out to Marshall for some Hog Island love, then down 1 to Pt. Reyes station, out Lucas Valley road to 101 home. On any of my previous bikes just getting to/from Bouchon would've been a day ender. On the RT I constant feeling of "where to next". I was comfortable, warm and my only gripes have to do with the Nav IV/Radio/BMW helmet com system being designed by crack addled simians. I wish I had purchased this bike instead of the 1198 a few years ago. Then I'd have a broken in RT

For the first time I made it to Yountville in time to watch the ballon launch. Figures Id left my camera at home :(

Emperor Norton screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:14 PM Reason: bad iPhone pix via Camera Awesome:Smugmug
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1055
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Get the top box if you don't have one already. Besides providing the comfort of a back rest for your wife, it provides a place for her stuff. Women appreciate being able to bring all their stuff.............
Ya, SchnickelBabe likes having the backrest, too.

Schnickelfritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #1056
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Doesn't have to be a genuine $800 BMW top case either.I have used a Givi topbase rack and Givi top cases on several bikes,including a 2006 BMW R1200RT. Works just as good, and is lighter and much less expensive....and also has a nice backrest option.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #1057
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
My givi was to big on my rt. I had a pelican camera case I mounted and found a backrest for iit on eBay
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #1058
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,760
There is currently a topcase on it, but am thinking I might take it off and do an accessory backrest, as that would give both of use more room. We'll see this summer. We are planning to go to every county courthouse in the state, so that should give a few miles to get things perfected.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1059
airstreamer1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New to Me

I have been lurking here for about a month and so far I find this forum really cool!
I picked up a R1100RT (2000) last month after doing enough research to figure out that I wanted an RT bike. It came with PIAA lights, hyper lights, tank bag, GIVI top case, sargent seat. I had a college professor that turned me on to RT bikes, and at the time he had a 1980 R100RT with a '47 Hollandia side car rig. I have wanted an RT bike ever since.
So the new to me bike has been dealer serviced every 6000 miles since new and now has 74K on it. Everything works and it rides perfectly (will need tires before long though),
My question to the experts is what failings should I expect in the next 25K miles? I have noticed that there is spline problems, FD problems, tranny dog problems etc... but all of these issues seem to be with the 1150's.
I am super excited to put miles on this bike come fair weather and I would like to be able to "predict" whats ahead.

Also as I gear up for spring, I would like to know your list of must haves for tools, spare parts etc that you carry with you at all times (Iam surprised this subject is not an ongoing thread here)?

airstreamer1 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 06:54 PM
airstreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #1060
philbytx
Friendly curmudgeon

Oddometer: 49
What to expect...

Ok. Here's the most "common" issues on Oilheads of your vintage. Unless already replaced of course!!
Replace Interior FI hoses in the tank plus exterior hoses. Interior hoses subject to hardening/splitting. Also R&R Fuel filter, pump damper and O'rings while you are there. About $100 for everything
Replace flexible brake lines. Replace with Spiegler, Galfer or similar, around $400.

Sudden HES (wiring!) failure (brittle and covering cracked/gone!), generally when water hits the unit. New unit around $200 (or, if you are handy and have time, R&R the wiring only)
Starter issues (you think your battery is going). Valeo Starter magnet(s) detaching. Replacement about $200.

Then you COULD get into "should I be spline lubing", yadda, yadda. If your bike changes gear OK don't worry.
And don't worry about your FD, just check for 3-9 and 6-12 oclock movement on your rear wheel. Could be swing arm bearings though!) Plenty of info around on that. If no movement, just change gearbox and FD oil at 6k miles and check for metal bits :) !

You can also try www.bmwst.com for RT stuff...TONS of info for you on maintenance etc.

Enjoy your bike.......
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1061
airstreamer1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbytx View Post
Ok. Here's the most "common" issues on Oilheads of your vintage. Unless already replaced of course!!
Replace Interior FI hoses in the tank plus exterior hoses. Interior hoses subject to hardening/splitting. Also R&R Fuel filter, pump damper and O'rings while you are there.

I assume that these will eventually start sucking air?

About $100 for everything
Replace flexible brake lines. Replace with Spiegler, Galfer or similar, around $400.

Sudden HES (wiring!) failure (brittle and covering cracked/gone!), generally when water hits the unit. New unit around $200 (or, if you are handy and have time, R&R the wiring only)

Ah the dreaded HES wiring, I have read alot about this. Seems like you take this as it comes or carry a new one just in case.

Starter issues (you think your battery is going). Valeo Starter magnet(s) detaching. Replacement about $200.

Starter seems good, but as a hot-rod guy I get it.

Then you COULD get into "should I be spline lubing", yadda, yadda. If your bike changes gear OK don't worry.

Bike shifts good and feels good (typical beemer clunckiness)

And don't worry about your FD, just check for 3-9 and 6-12 oclock movement on your rear wheel. Could be swing arm bearings though!) Plenty of info around on that. If no movement, just change gearbox and FD oil at 6k miles and check for metal bits :) !

I plan do this as well as change fluids in both, more for my own peace of mind than anything.

You can also try www.bmwst.com for RT stuff...TONS of info for you on maintenance etc.

Enjoy your bike.......
Thanks for the info and the link.
airstreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #1062
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbytx View Post
I wish him well with that R1100 also. My cousin has one and loves it; although mine have been the newer models.

Another good forum is the RT secion of the BMW LT forum, HERE.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #1063
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
FM radio on the 03 1150RT

This is my first post on this forum. I have been posting on the Olds Cool page for awhile. I bought a used 03 RT going on 2 years ago and it came with the radio kit but no radio. I have kicked the idea back and forth about installing something but didnt want to lose the storage space, spend $$$ or finding out I didnt like it afterward.

I came across this video on Youtube and it sounded like a way to try the idea out. The waterproof FM receiver has an integrated amp and access for an MP3 plug in. Since my bike already has the antenna and speakers I think I am going to give this a try. I ordered the radio yesterday and have to design a way to mount it. May be a piece of junk but for $40 I will give it a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-D70jTJBuE
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #1064
biometrics
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I would also recommend the forums at bmwbmw.org as a source of RT info. BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington They are a fun and helpful group of folks just like here and the other forums that have been recommended. -John
biometrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #1065
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
This is my first post on this forum. I have been posting on the Olds Cool page for awhile. I bought a used 03 RT going on 2 years ago and it came with the radio kit but no radio. I have kicked the idea back and forth about installing something but didnt want to lose the storage space, spend $$$ or finding out I didnt like it afterward.

I came across this video on Youtube and it sounded like a way to try the idea out. The waterproof FM receiver has an integrated amp and access for an MP3 plug in. Since my bike already has the antenna and speakers I think I am going to give this a try. I ordered the radio yesterday and have to design a way to mount it. May be a piece of junk but for $40 I will give it a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-D70jTJBuE
That would work as long as it puts out anough volume. Price is nice. I tried something different, a J&M Inetgratr into which one can plug a satellite radio, GPS, cell phone, radar detecter, etc. I mounted mine on the handlbars with a RAM jury-rigged mount. It has an FM radio built in. Cost is a bit higher, but then it gives you much more flexiblity...for instance, I plugged in one of my MP3 players, which is the music source I liked most often. Now it's output is a J&M helmet plug....that ups the price a bit, so unless you want to pay for a super quality headset also, you're better off trying the less expensive option first!