Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #1066
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I have attended the Square Route rally many times in the past. Nice ride down from NE Ohio!

100RT screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 05:58 AM Reason: mistake
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #1067
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Here is a link to the radio itself. Sounds too good to be true with the rated power.

http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/...OUT-CLOCK.html
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #1068
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Take a look at my posts at that link today......I have just about decided to do the same thing.....I thought the speakers on the RT were "adequate for my needs" so I could just use them, and get GPS BT audio to the Sena SMH10. First I'll give the "Sena to RT pairing" a try, but if there are problems, I'll just do as you did.

Not to pollute this forum, as it's better covered on the BMW LT forum, but how is your NavIV connected to the RT? Wired connection?
Sorry Deek - just saw this... the NavIV is wired directly to the two connectors strapped to the frame of the bike - one is for power, the other for audio, I believe. Works great - powers up when the bike starts, powers down when I turn off the bike.

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1069
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I have a Sony marine radio on my rt. useless unless playing while washing the bike
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1070
100RT
Studly Adventurer

There are a lot of rural county roads in my area that I ride so I hope it will work out since I'm not always going to be blasting down the interstate. I have heard both sides of the story thats why I opted for the cheap way. I also ordered an inexpesive Sansa MP3 player. I could use it under the helmet if desired. Total investment under $70.

Last March I tore it down to check and lube the splines,removed the canister and bleed the ABS so a lot has to do with the winter blahs.

100RT screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:56 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1071
philbytx
Friendly curmudgeon

Oddometer: 49
Answers for Airstreamer1

I assume that these will eventually start sucking air?

Answer: A little worse than that...clogging up the fuel filter, buggering up the pump and/or just losing pressure out of the pump to the injectors!

Ah the dreaded HES wiring, I have read alot about this. Seems like you take this as it comes or carry a new one just in case.

Answer : IMHO - Don't take it as it comes....it will stop you dead and leave you stranded (DAMHIK!)
Best thing to do is replace your HES assembly, repair the old wiring on it at your leisure and then sell it or keep it as a spare :) !
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #1072
airstreamer1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thank you for the replies, I will get after these items before season starts.
airstreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #1073
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Has there been any discussion on an oil/water cooled RT yet?
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #1074
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
There is a bit on the BMWLT forum I believe, or maybe the BMWST forum.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #1075
Robear
Quack Kills

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post

I asked the owner of my local BMW dealer this exact question yesterday. He is actually expecting them to release a water cooled version of the RT this fall. Of course, this is just his gut feeling, nothing official. I think it would be a great bike. Also took a really good look at the GTL, nice.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #1076
100RT
Studly Adventurer

My post earlier about the mini radio turned out to be a joke. Got the turner and the instruction sheet said it put out 2W per channel. Not the 50W advertised. The harness wasn't even close to looking like the picture.
Shark radio had the balls to tell me the sheet was wrong. After several communications they told me to keep it and and they would give me a full refund. When I see the statement I will believe it.

Glad I didn't take the fairing and instrument panel off before hand!

Buyer beware!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #1077
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

New boxer

http://bmwmotorcyclesoftampabay.com/...n-boxer-motor/
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #1078
Robear
Quack Kills

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
I am having trouble with the abs brakes on my 2006 RT. When I turn on the key, what I assume to be a servo starts up, but doesn't shut off. When I apply front brake the servo works harder. When I spin the rear wheel and use the front brake nothing happens. When I apply rear brake the wheel will stop. I did a full brake flush and pad change over the summer when I did a full service, thanks (JVB). Have ridden 3000 miles since with no problem. I have found lots of info about ABS problem with the R1200 series, but could find nothing with the problem of a servo that keeps running. Micro switches seem to be working as the brake lights come on while applying each brake. I cleaned the speed sensors and checked the wiring. I have 33000 miles on the bike.
Thought I would update my problem. I was getting nowhere, so I stuck the tank back on and took it to the local BMW shop so they could hook the computer up. That did no good because the system would not read with servo running. The service tech unplugged the connection and worked the front and rear levers (all of which I had done 600 times) and the servo just stopped, and the thing started working fine. Took it for a nice ride and all systems performed perfectly. I had called Tyler at Module Master and was going to take the electric side off and send it to him. He thought it may be a bad diode or switch. If it screws up again, I will send it out to him. Bad thing is, they still haven't got a fix for the fluid side. So if thats goes bad, well you know $$.

Mwood, thanks for the video of the new motor, that is cool.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #1079
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

My servo stuck once On my 05 and it was the rear brake switch needing adjusted.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #1080
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Dude,
The RT is the best bike ever. Seriously, it is ridiculously good. Just go ride one. Most dealers have a Demo bike. You will find that it is exactly what you are looking for. The wind protection is crazy good (way better than the GS BTW) the suspension, brakes and handling are amazing. The 2010 engine has plenty of power, and the low speed handling as well is fantastic. Don't take my word for it, just go ride it. See for yourself. It handles NOTHING like a big touring rig. It's tight, holds a line and is silly easy to ride. I use mine for camping all the time. I can ride that thing for 12-14 hours. If you are going to spend most of the time on the road, get the RT. (Like you were going to take your italian princess off the road anyway!!)
Report back after your test ride corporal!!
Cheers.
I owned an RT and put 35k miles on it in a few years. It was a great bike, ran well, handled good. At 6'2" it was just a bit cramped for me so I sold it and bought a new GSA. Overall I liked the GSA better than the RT, even for highway blasting. I put almost 50k miles in the GSA then made the mistake of buying a new Griso. Suddenly the boxer motor lost its charm and that burnt orange Stelvio was looking damn sexy too.

What the hell, ya only live once. I ordered the Stelvio, sold the GSA in September and took delivery of the Stelvio in mid December. If someone asks me my opinion, having owned several representatives of both brands I'm going with the Italians.