Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1081
Stump rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wicked Rt iPod hook up

I am looking for some help. I would like to hook up my iPod to me "06" r1200rt
Can anyone shed some light on this? I would think it is possible but I know someone on this site has figured it out already.

Thanks, stump rider
Stump rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #1082
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump rider View Post
I am looking for some help. I would like to hook up my iPod to me "06" r1200rt
Can anyone shed some light on this? I would think it is possible but I know someone on this site has figured it out already.

Thanks, stump rider
I think I saw something on that at either the BMWLT or BMWST forums. I used a generic mp3 player on my '09 in conjuction with a J&M Integratr. I am unclear whether your RT has the BWM audio system or not.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1083
Stump rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Sorry, my RT does have the factory BMW system. I think I seen something a while back about how to hook up my mp3 but darn if I can find it again.
Stump rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1084
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump rider View Post
Sorry, my RT does have the factory BMW system. I think I seen something a while back about how to hook up my mp3 but darn if I can find it again.
On my '09 RT I had no BMW sounds system. I ran a 3.5mm male to male cable from the headphone jack on the MP3 player to to Stereo Input jack on a J&M Integrator. There are other systems that work about the same, like AutoCom. So some internet searches and you'll find them. Another place to look is the Motorcycle Tourer Forum on Delphi.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #1085
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 186
I finally got a chance to take a Trophy on a 20 minute test ride. I really wanted to see how it compared to the RT, which has been my benchmark for my next bike.

Overall, it looks big, particularly when next to a RT. Once you're settled in it (it feels like you're in this bike, not on it), it feels a little smaller, but the sensation is one of heft when you're moving slowly or not at all. The CG is higher than the RT, and it shows taking the bike off the stand and riding away.

The Triumph triple is one of the first things you really notice. Smooth, powerful, and it makes a most pleasant noise . The clutch and gearbox work well enough, as do the brakes. Instrumentation is excellent - nice large round dials and a good LCD display. The audio controls feel like an afterthought and the general switchgear just feels cheap compared to BMW stuff.

Wind protection was good, probably better than the RT, but that's a liability for me here in TX, where summer lasts 6 months. It was easy to find sweet spots with the windscreen.

There was a bit more vibration in the bars than I expected, a little buzziness around 4-5k RPM (didn't get it above that, it was a low mileage demo bike). Other low spots? Mostly the heft around the parking lot, the RT style mirrors (not awful, but I'm not a fan) and the lack of "wow" - I wanted to love this bike, but it was just a competent sport-touring bike.

Would I pay $2k more for a comparably equipped RT? Probably. The RT is just about right for me except for the engine, but it beats the Trophy in most other categories. It does need some updates (e.g., the RT dash works OK, but is looking very dated) but it does its job very well. Looking at what they have done with the GS, one has to think that the 201X wasser-boxer RT will be a very impressive machine.

Unfortunately, I confused matters more by demoing the K1600GT. Yes, its quite a different bike from the RT, but WOW, is that impressive. And the weight was not an issue, as it felt lighter to me than the Trophy - its all to do with the CG. And that engine .... sweet!

Wondering which of these great bikes to get is a nice problem to have
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #1086
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Am I nuts? Anyone done it? Taking my 07 R12RTP to a trackday this Monday. Debating on tires to run - Its on Pilot Road 3s right now that are coming off, Im debating a track/race tire but not sure how the extra weight will deal with that. Any ideas or other tips anyone? Anyone else done this?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1087
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
I finally got a chance to take a Trophy on a 20 minute test ride. I really wanted to see how it compared to the RT, which has been my benchmark for my next bike.

Overall, it looks big, particularly when next to a RT. Once you're settled in it (it feels like you're in this bike, not on it), it feels a little smaller, but the sensation is one of heft when you're moving slowly or not at all. The CG is higher than the RT, and it shows taking the bike off the stand and riding away.

The Triumph triple is one of the first things you really notice. Smooth, powerful, and it makes a most pleasant noise . The clutch and gearbox work well enough, as do the brakes. Instrumentation is excellent - nice large round dials and a good LCD display. The audio controls feel like an afterthought and the general switchgear just feels cheap compared to BMW stuff.

Wind protection was good, probably better than the RT, but that's a liability for me here in TX, where summer lasts 6 months. It was easy to find sweet spots with the windscreen.

There was a bit more vibration in the bars than I expected, a little buzziness around 4-5k RPM (didn't get it above that, it was a low mileage demo bike). Other low spots? Mostly the heft around the parking lot, the RT style mirrors (not awful, but I'm not a fan) and the lack of "wow" - I wanted to love this bike, but it was just a competent sport-touring bike.

Would I pay $2k more for a comparably equipped RT? Probably. The RT is just about right for me except for the engine, but it beats the Trophy in most other categories. It does need some updates (e.g., the RT dash works OK, but is looking very dated) but it does its job very well. Looking at what they have done with the GS, one has to think that the 201X wasser-boxer RT will be a very impressive machine.

Unfortunately, I confused matters more by demoing the K1600GT. Yes, its quite a different bike from the RT, but WOW, is that impressive. And the weight was not an issue, as it felt lighter to me than the Trophy - its all to do with the CG. And that engine .... sweet!

Wondering which of these great bikes to get is a nice problem to have
I don't know guys, I rode the 2012 RT and loved the bike, very impressive in true BMW fashion, but. Bought my 2000 RT two yeaars ago with 12k on the clock from the original owner looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor, it now has 27 on it and is just broke in and trunning great with no problems. I just don't see the value in a new one at 4X+ of what I have in this one. But having 20k of disposable income burning a hole in my pocket is not one of my worries either.

1982 Suzuki GS850G The "Zook"
2000 BMW R1100RT
bbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #1088
Roadkill231
MotorMAN

Oddometer: 22
Had my 1150rt for about almost a year now and its my daily driver (rain/shine/cold). About 40k on the clock (02 model) and changed my rear gear oil almost 3k miles ago on last oil change / service. Parked my bike in driveway this afternoon and noticed the rear final drive unit leaking oil from the top onto the wheel. I searched this forum but didn't see anything. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #1089
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill231 View Post
Had my 1150rt for about almost a year now and its my daily driver (rain/shine/cold). About 40k on the clock (02 model) and changed my rear gear oil almost 3k miles ago on last oil change / service. Parked my bike in driveway this afternoon and noticed the rear final drive unit leaking oil from the top onto the wheel. I searched this forum but didn't see anything. Any suggestions?

Leaking from the top would suggest breather, could you have overfilled?

2000 BMW R1100RT
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1090
Roadkill231
MotorMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjumper View Post
Leaking from the top would suggest breather, could you have overfilled?
possible, but its been nearly 3k since I changed the final drive fluid. Thought I would have seen that sooner. And it is from the breather...

No movement in the rear wheel (top to bottom zero play), no funny noises, and rode another few miles (about 20) with no further leaks.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #1091
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
possible, but its been nearly 3k since I changed the final drive fluid. Thought I would have seen that sooner. And it is from the breather...

No movement in the rear wheel (top to bottom zero play), no funny noises, and rode another few miles (about 20) with no further leaks.
I've heard of people getting water in there if a pressure washer was used to clean, that would do it but usually the oil is milky. it won't work it's way out until your up to speed and it gets warmed up a bit.

If it were me I'd drain and refill with Mobil 1 90 wt. and watch it for a while. When I bought my RT it had been sitting for some time and leaked out the final drive seal at the drive shaft. When I changed the fluid and ran the piss out of it it dried up and hasn't leaked since.

Good luck..

2000 BMW R1100RT
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #1092
Roadkill231
MotorMAN

Thanks - hear horror stories of final drives locking up on interstate... Got a little concerned. Draining and refilling this afternoon - cant stand riding to work in a cage...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #1093
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Hey folks,

I'm looking at an '04 1150RT at my local dealer, bike appears to be in good shape, only 36000 miles. The bike is "dealer certified" 30 day warranty in other words it's been gone over by their techs. Anything I should watch out for, other than ensuring the service history. I know the low speed throttle surge was in the older models.

Also has anyone connected an ipod to the sound system on an RT. It has a cassette, and radio. Is the stereo easy to replace?

Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #1094
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks - hear horror stories of final drives locking up on interstate... Got a little concerned. Draining and refilling this afternoon - cant stand riding to work in a cage...
When you drain the final drive check to see if the gear oil is still clean with no garbage in it or discolored. The last time I changed mine it looked like I just put it in there. If that's good and there's nothing on the drain plug magnet, with no play in the rear wheel and if it's not making any noise just ride and enjoy..

2000 BMW R1100RT
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1095
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Hey folks,

I'm looking at an '04 1150RT at my local dealer, bike appears to be in good shape, only 36000 miles. The bike is "dealer certified" 30 day warranty in other words it's been gone over by their techs. Anything I should watch out for, other than ensuring the service history. I know the low speed throttle surge was in the older models.

Thanks
Don't know about the iPod hook up but from what I have been told the 1150 with the six speed tranny is somewhat more suseptable to spline/transmission failures, still probably no more than one in a thousand but I would ask the dealer. That would be an expensive fix and really ruin your day.

2000 BMW R1100RT