User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #1231
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Recomendations HID on BMW R1200RT with canbus

I have a 2008 BMW R1200RT and I am looking to put an HID kit on it. I need it be inexpesive, reliable and most importantly it needs to work with the canbus on my bike. I was looking at the VVME kits for price but it shows that most dont work with canbus unless I add a harness. I have seen many people state the VVME works just fine. So I have some questions:

35W or 55W kit?

regular or Digital slim ballasts? It appears that Panasonic makes the digital slim and Hella makes the std.

VVME or another brand?

What temp? It seems 4300 is the popular choice but I have read that if you go with the 55w the extra power dims the blue effect.

Anyone have pictures on their 1200RT?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #1232
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
The New ride!

I'm happy to say I'm the new owner of this beauty! As always I cant leave well enough alone and have already started the mods. Our maiden voyage was 650 this past Sunday and wow what a difference over my F800GS! I now see what all the hype is about on these bikes.

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #1233
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,060
Beautiful bike. Congrats. Great bike for the West Coast. Enjoy... tomp dd50
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #1234
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Beautiful bike! I too just bought an rt and I'm lovin it!! Enjoy!!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1235
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by weerider650 View Post
I have a 2008 BMW R1200RT and I am looking to put an HID kit on it. I need it be inexpesive, reliable and most importantly it needs to work with the canbus on my bike. I was looking at the VVME kits for price but it shows that most dont work with canbus unless I add a harness. I have seen many people state the VVME works just fine. So I have some questions:

35W or 55W kit?

regular or Digital slim ballasts? It appears that Panasonic makes the digital slim and Hella makes the std.

VVME or another brand?

What temp? It seems 4300 is the popular choice but I have read that if you go with the 55w the extra power dims the blue effect.

I only have experience with the HID on a GS, but IMHO stick with the 35watt. The 55watt can cause issues with heat melting the reflector. Also, the 35 watt is less likely to have canbus issues. I run the cheapest I can find with no harness and usually have no issues.

As to color, that is personal choice. However, for actual useable light the eyes find the 4300 range much more useable.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #1236
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,071
Quote:

35W or 55W kit?

VVME or another brand?

This is what I have in my '08 RT. No issues with CanBus, literally plug & play. I went with the 6k temp & love them.

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/b...ballasts-p-209
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #1237
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
This is what I have in my '08 RT. No issues with CanBus, literally plug & play. I went with the 6k temp & love them.

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/b...ballasts-p-209
Those guys stole my photo!

Quote:

From here: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200GS_HID_Install.html

By the way, they are way over priced. I goth the HID kit for under $40 off e-bay.

Jim
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1238
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I only have experience with the HID on a GS, but IMHO stick with the 35watt. The 55watt can cause issues with heat melting the reflector. Also, the 35 watt is less likely to have canbus issues. I run the cheapest I can find with no harness and usually have no issues.

As to color, that is personal choice. However, for actual useable light the eyes find the 4300 range much more useable.

Jim
Jim,

Sounds good. I will order the 35 watt VVME kit (still debating between 4300K and 5000K) but I am debating between the slim ballast kit. The big difference seems to be the manufacture and one is digital versus non. I thought I read somewhere that digital is highly recommended when converting from halogen to reduce flicker. Would you recommend the non digital ballast or the digital slims?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1239
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Jim,

Sounds good. I will order the 35 watt VVME kit (still debating between 4300K and 5000K) but I am debating between the slim ballast kit. The big difference seems to be the manufacture and one is digital versus non. I thought I read somewhere that digital is highly recommended when converting from halogen to reduce flicker. Would you recommend the non digital ballast or the digital slims?
It seems to work a bit better on some bikes with digital, so if the price is similar, I would do digital.

Jim
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1240
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It seems to work a bit better on some bikes with digital, so if the price is similar, I would do digital.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I pulled the trigger on the VVME 35W, digital slim, 4300k kit last night. I am really hoping this doesn't cause any issues with the canbus. I am definitely looking forward to the light output on the RT with 2 low beam HID bulbs...should be night and day compared to my 1150GS halogen headlight...lmao...
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #1241
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,171
I'm considering this-

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesdallas.com/...06&pov=3227677

2011 Polar (no ESA, no ASC) at the BMW dealer in Plano. $15,879.

Right color, right options just need the right price. What say the massess?

Keep in mind I know about the upcoming wasser boxer and I can get a new RT w/the same options for less than $18k.

MoxNix screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 02:09 PM
MoxNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #1242
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

my Philosophy with bike purchases. If you like it, its in your budget, Buy It! We don't get these things as investments, we get them to ride the hell outta them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
I'm considering this-

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesdallas.com/...06&pov=3227677

2011 Polar (no ESA, no ASC) at the BMW dealer in Plano. $15,879.

Right color, right options just need the right price. What say the massess?

Keep in mind I know about the upcoming wasser boxer and I can get a new RT w/the same options for less than $18k.

Son - Brother - Hero
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #1243
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
nice. I been considering the same move as well. Did 200 miles today on my F650GS twin. I love the bike for around town, but on the highway its brutal. My only concern is the big difference in weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob View Post
I'm happy to say I'm the new owner of this beauty! As always I cant leave well enough alone and have already started the mods. Our maiden voyage was 650 this past Sunday and wow what a difference over my F800GS! I now see what all the hype is about on these bikes.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1244
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,060
Your GS has a seat height of over 2" taller than the RT. The RT is very balanced, and if you get your feet planted on the GS, the RT shouldn't be that big of a deal. Once moving, the RT's weight virtually disappears. Don't test ride one unless you are ready to buy, as it will spoil you and make you want one, period... tomp dd50
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1245
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

It concerned me as well but the RT is amazing, feels a bit heavy at a stand still, start it rolling and it feels lighter than the F8GS. I have ridden all types of motos and this is probably the best all rounder I have purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
nice. I been considering the same move as well. Did 200 miles today on my F650GS twin. I love the bike for around town, but on the highway its brutal. My only concern is the big difference in weight.

Son - Brother - Hero