User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Mooney 78865 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Heading to Alaska!

Heading to Alaska July/Aug 2015 and have a couple questions for the locals.
I'm riding a KTM 990 from Clovis California with about 25 days to spend. I'm figuring 350-400 miles a day depending on conditions, with luck a bit more. I want to ride the Alaskan HWY out of Dawson Creek then drop off and head towards Anchorage and spend the majority of my time around Denali and the Kenai peninsula. As much as I would like to say I rode the Haul Rd I don't see the time well spent.
So the questions:
Heidenau K60's, are they available "local"? (figure I'll need a set for the trip home)
I plan on camping the majority of the time, places to avoid, places that are a must.
I have done the Utah BDR, the Oregon BDR and have put 40k on the bike in less than 3 years. I figure I'm a 30-40% off road rider so "must do" rides would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
NTTF
Trapped Under Ice

Oddometer: 159
The Motorcycle Shop and Alaska Leather are the places I'd call in Anchorage for K60s. Reserve in advance with an appointment if possible.

Thompsons Eagle Claw in Tok is a cool campground. Robert Service in Whitehorse is nice as well. I also liked all of the Canadian provincial parks. Frenchman Lake campground is quiet and small, with a gravel road entrance.

Consider doing the Alaskan Highway up, and the other route down. Taylor highway, Klondike loop to Campbell highway, then the Cassiar/Yellowhead/West Access south. That'll get you a little more dirt riding to make the K60s worth it, and also allow a side trip to Hyder. You'd also be doing the top to the world highway, which is incredible. I enjoyed that route more, the Alaska highway got a little tiresome in southern parts.

300-400 miles a day was my average and very possible, provided with decent weather/construction. I had one 533 mile day from Carmacks to Muncho Lake, but that was due to me not planning ahead and reserving a campground.

NTTF screwed with this post 12-09-2014 at 08:55 PM
NTTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Mooney 78865 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome, exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Must dos in Alaska
Denali hwy I prefer east to west route
Kennicott mine
Top of the world highway from dawson city yt to tok 150 miles of great dirt road and amazing scenery
Hatcher pass rd from willow to Palmer
Talkeetna for great beer and cool quirky town

If you need a spot to pitch a tent and work on the bike we are in Wasilla. Drop by and say hello. Safe travels
2003 Ural (the dogs)
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I am gonna head up there in July/August also. Seems to be the best time frame.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
All good advise so far. My favorite ride is the Richardson highway heading south to Valdez. The cassiar highway is mandatory heading North or south. Best way to hook up with the Alaska highway.

I rode up the 97 all the way when I went up from Paso Robles in 2008 and that was fine... but the cassiar is way better. Still fast roads, less traveled and great scenery. The first (or last depending on direction) 50 miles or so was like riding a dirt bike on pavement. Sweeping curves, bumpy too much fun. Im jealous of your 990 already.

I dont want to throw a wrench in your plans but I have done the haul road and in my opinion it is totally worth it. It can be difficult, but there is no feeling like being that high on the tundra. If you want to do it and you are on the fence I say go for it.

If you want company for a day or weekend drop me a line. Always down to ride.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Parks highway is boring as shit.

Richardson highway is a must. From delta junction to Valdez , very scenery.
Then glenallen towards anch (old glen) is nice . Which I'm sure you'll be heading down from That route.

Denali is nice as well.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Mooney 78865 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
All good advise so far. My favorite ride is the Richardson highway heading south to Valdez. The cassiar highway is mandatory heading North or south. Best way to hook up with the Alaska highway.

I rode up the 97 all the way when I went up from Paso Robles in 2008 and that was fine... but the cassiar is way better. Still fast roads, less traveled and great scenery. The first (or last depending on direction) 50 miles or so was like riding a dirt bike on pavement. Sweeping curves, bumpy too much fun. Im jealous of your 990 already.

I dont want to throw a wrench in your plans but I have done the haul road and in my opinion it is totally worth it. It can be difficult, but there is no feeling like being that high on the tundra. If you want to do it and you are on the fence I say go for it.

If you want company for a day or weekend drop me a line. Always down to ride.
I'll do that! Paso Robles here by me?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Mooney 78865 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies! Beginning to look like I have more "must do" than I have time for...hmmmm!
This is the Alaska region I'm posting in right? Nobody has said anything about the mosquitoes, bears, electric riding gear, 0 degree sleeping bags, torrential rain...really? Dumb a** tourists in rented motor barges, nothing?
I'm from California, I expect negativity and sarcasm at least.
WOW! I've got to go just to see what kind of Kool Aid folks are drinking up there....
Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
I'll do that! Paso Robles here by me?
Yes sir. Wine country and all that. Used to live there until... the Alaska trip.... liked it so much I moved up
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Mooney 78865 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
You gotta do the Dalton / Haul road! Another standout was the top of the world highway to Dawson City. Both are terrible when raining and especially the TOW to Dawson.

For K60s this guy is awesome, located in his garage in Fairbanks and his prices are the lowest.

http://www.advcycleworks.com/
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Redlabel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
We did Alaska in July of this year. Rode the Alcan to Fairbanks and had K60s mounted by Adventure Cycle Works upon arrival.....did us great service. The Dalton was our biggest goal and no regrets in doing it. Rode south to Valdez to cover both ends of the pipeline....very scenic ride. Did Top of the World to Dawson City and wouldn't have missed it. The Cassiar southbound was probably my favorite part of the trip. Out of the 16 days on the road, maybe rode in rain 3-4 of them. Definitely want good rain gear and waterproof boots. I saw no need for heated gear, even at Deadhorse when it was 38 degrees.....just have enough layers and quality riding gear. The mosquitoes are there, but since you're nearly always covered in gear, really not much of an issue even in camp. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Lots of great scenery and plenty of wildlife along the way.
Redlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
Cavolina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Alaska

Hi MOONEY
I did this trip in June / July this year. To answer your questions
1} Mosquitoes. We were up there for 6 weeks and only had one campsite where they were a problem. I think we got lucky
2) Bears. They are everywhere. Don't store food in your tent or on your bike while camping. Don't cook near your tent. Use the supplied bear boxes and you will have no problem.
3) Heated gear. I think its a must we had temps. from 35 deg. to 85 deg. Make sure your riding gear is waterproof or carry good rain gear.
4)Tourists. We did not see that many however we were always looking for road less travelled.
5) You have to be prepared to look after yourself. There is no cell service outside of town centres. This means you should carry tools with you and know how to change and repair tires, chains etc. Up there its easy to be 100 miles from nowhere with no way to contact anyone.
We did the trip from British Columbia in six weeks travelled 11,000 km. The highlights were
In the Yukon
1) Bruce Cambell hwy.
2) Dawson City and the Dempster hwy. to the arctic circle
3) Top of the world hwy. into Alaska
In Alaska
1) The road into Kennicott - McCarthy ( check out the old mine site )and to Valdez
2) The Denali hwy.
3) Fairbanks to Denali
The return trip down the Stewart / Cassier hwy.
1) Telegraph Creek ( 100 km of great gravel road with 20% grades and hairpin turns ) i was puckered up on a few of those !
2) Stewart / Hyder. Awsome ride in. Great ride to the glacier above Hyder.
This was a amazing trip in terms of riding and the people we met.
Hope you have a great trip. PM me if you have any questions.
Cavolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 268
Hey there!

Sounds like you've got an awesome trip planned!

We've got normal wear parts in stock for your 990, oil filters, brake pads, air filters. I should have K60's in stock, but Heidenau is a super PITA to deal with so they might not have them in stock.

Regardless I've got TKC80's and the factory equipped Pirelli's on hand all year round. We'll have some rubber for you.

If you've got a rough ETA of when you'd be in town just give us a buzz. You can also pm/email me or head to our webiste www.themotorcycleshop.com to make an appt.

There's no cancellation fee or anything, never hurts to get on the books early.

Good luck on your trip, can't wait to ask you about your SPS!
www.themotorcycleshop.com
brendon@themotorcycleshop.com
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote