Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #46
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Kinda have had one of em all and dirt and mud and sand and rocks and inclines and steep grades and tight corners and stuff to trip on make for what some would think is dual sport territory. But notice how most pictured "dual sports" are clean and the back tire is ground off from asphalt riding. So if you wanna ride is the "stuff" get a bike that you can pick up and one that you can afford to fix. Prob not a GS, prob not a KLR. I ride a GS and it loves dirt roads but its just a street bike with a cool look. Now an XRL or similar mid size bike probably will get you home, you just won't be the coolest lookin dude in the parking lot. Of course you can always "farkle" it so you can have braggin rights.
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #47
Tooth
State of Jefferson

Oddometer: 97
Klr.....

Replace, shocks, springs, SW Mo-tech bars and seat.....its a great off road bike and it does not hurt to drop it.....$$$$$
It holds a good amount of gas...
I bought the 1200GSA for 2-up riding.....my friend weighs only 105 soaking wet but I felt that I was asking for trouble attempting the forest roads here in Oregon loaded with "stuff" and the princess on back.
I am no dual sport giant and would not even attempt what many of you call routine but the KLR is a MULE.....and cheap to feed. It is what it is $5000 worth of being able to do everything and nothing well.
I have a Corbin seat on mine and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned....
Super Tenere
Honda Goldwing
Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #48
bykemike
"ready to navigate"

Oddometer: 320
KLR 650..without a doubt

about as funny as a guy with a squirt can of FD fluid at a BMW rally
bykemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #49
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
I am thinking of getting a second bike that is street legal but will be used for single track or rough trail riding that I dont want to risk damaging my GS. I have been looking at the KTM 530 or 525. I would be getting the second bike used. ??
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #50
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,400
I think a great contender is the BMW X Challenge. I just spent a week on this bike and only have great things to say. While its no KTM 300 in the woods, it does hold its own on single track, do slab fairly comfortable, spanks other bikes in the twisties, and has a good suspension. It puts a KLR/DRL/XRL to shame.

I put a huge duffle on the rear and with the soft bags had enough stuff for a week. I also have an 06 GSA and I feel they are a great balance. Sometimes figuring out what to ride is the hardest part.

HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #51
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
The answer to that question lies 100% in what kind of "dual sporting" you do. My idea of dual sporting gets broken down. version A) dual sporting: using paved or unpaved roads only for connecting trails. For this I use a WR250F with a license plate but otherwise a full blown dirt bike. I wont run into a GS or a KLR on these trails! version B) dual sporting: Using Highways, Goat trails, dirt roads, and some mild single track and dual track thrown in. I take my GS on these. This is the same type trip I would probably use a KLR on if I had one. I have allways tried to figure out 1 bike that could do it all and I just cant find one. The closest might be something like a Husqvarna 610/630. More of a dirt bike than a KLR or GS but still has enough motor to handle a highway or 2.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #52
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,546
KLR with a Moab shock, Ricor fork valves, and a 685 kit (with a bit of easy head work) will blow your mind... totally different feel. Very close to the KTM 640, & yes I've ridden them side by side. My KLR will wheelie with the throttle... even with my 16 tooth highway gear (for comfortable 75/80 all day cruise). I can drop the front cog as low as 13 teeth for root pulling low end power. All that stuff costs about $1200. Is tittying up a KLR putting lipstick on a pig?... sure, why not. And BTW, no, the KLR is not that close to a GS... not even. Riding the KLR off road is like being on a bicyle by comparison. I have both. And my buddies tell me that to get the most out of my GS off road I need to put on the Ohlins... at $1400. And what about the gearing? Too tall really for some places I ride... should I put in an Adventure tranny to get a better 1st gear? Nope, my decision is to just use it where it works.

As others have said... it really depends on what duelsporting means to you. The DR650 is good right out of the box... the DRZ is better, but both need a seat that isn't butt floss. The newer crop of 250's are great. The more mud... the lighter the bike.

Beezer screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 12:37 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #53
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
I too have pondered this for many a day.

Suzuki DRZ400
or
Suzuki DR650

To me the KLR 650 is a joke. It's an old design and feels like it.

I'm hearing more and more about RTW riders on DR650, they keep saying "bullet proof" and you can't say that about a KLR 650, they are a pain in the ass maintenance wise, under powered and just an 'old fashioned' ride.

I think you will find in the coming years that DR650 has taken over from the Kawasaki.

What do I know? I have a BMW R1150GS and a Yamaha TW200! I'm not afraid to 'try' and go ANYWHERE on the TW, steep, up, down, across, water, sand, mud, dirt, gravel, sure I've dropped it many times trying.
The 1150GS.......there is NO WAY I could do the things I do on the TW, just NO WAY. IMHO the BMW is not a Dual Sport bike, it's 'Dual Sport styling'.

I like a 250 Dual Sport, but for long distances the maintenance is just too high.

The benchmark bike used to be the DRZ400, methinks it will be the DR650.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #54
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
MHO the BMW is not a Dual Sport bike, it's 'Dual Sport styling'.

I say you are right with that comment. Did a nice 80 mile dirt road trip with my GS and my brother on my KLR. When its over he busted my scroats by saying that he could of made it with his Gold Wing. I thought I was doing something on the GS. Dry hard conditions are good with anything, wet, muddy and slimey no good with anything but a dirt bike. A GS is one heavy pig when that front end plows out on you but is a great street bike.
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #55
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Klr

The KLR gets my vote for the 650 class DS bikes, thou I have not tried out the DR650 yet.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #56
kindberg
MANA

Oddometer: 22
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Let me start by saying that I LOVE my 2006 R1200GS, and I would NOT consider replacing it with ANY other bike, BUT, lets get real here, the GS is a big, heavy and VERY expensive piece of machinery, and NOT optimally suited or designed for "serious" off-roading. Right??
So, I've spent some time looking at all the different dual sports out there and it appears (IMHO) that there is no PERFECT bike for that purpose, BUT the best may in fact be the Kawasaki 650 KLR. If you factor in ALL the variables, such as purchase price, registration, insurance, operating expenses, cost to repair or replace parts, weight and off-road capabilities, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find anything better. I know "better" is very subjective, but let's face it, honestly, other than extended touring (which many do successfully) on the KLR, does anyone actually believe that the GS will go places the KLR can't? I don't think so. As a matter of fact, I think the KLR is capable of going many places you'd never want to take the GS to. It is no problem riding the KLR 100 or 200 miles on the pavement, and then take it off the road and do stuff the GS can't match, because of its size and weight.
Not trying to start a fight here, just a lively discussion regarding the REALITY of the off-road aspect of our riding.
I cannot agree more with you,I own a BMW r1200 GS Adventure and would not trade that bike for the world.
I also have an 09 KLR fully farkeld out and it is exactly how you described it.
Very well put.
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #57
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 258
Thumb Dual to the death

KLR owned three ok bike when modded but boring it does the job takes abuse and there easy to sell. Honda ct 90 110 trail it does the job too easy to work on real rear rack with extra fuel tank snorkel air intake and exaust under seat tank light weight some have gun racks and last dual range transmition these machines go any where with good gas milage and cheap insurance. Trail 110 gets my vote slower than my HP but fun as hell all hail the mighty CT!
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #58
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
The only solution is to have 2 bikes, I tried for many years to have the best "all around dual sport"......there isnt one. KLR's suck, I had one.

I settled on a TE450 & a GS1200, what suits you is going to be different based on your needs.
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #59
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,165
I've got the DRZ400S.

I have an "E" also but is strictly off-road.

Light enough to pickup again and again loaded without straining something.

The 400 does have a radiator but with the guards they can take a pretty rough spill
and not cause problems.

Fuel and load capacity is an issue and IMHO that's why the KLR keeps
getting mentioned.

If the DRZ ever goes away I'll probably get either a DR650 or XL650.

The orange stuff looks great but it's pricey.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #60
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,462
My 12 Adventure (The Big Ugly) and my modded 06 KLR (KiLleR). Perfect combo for me. I don't do single track or trails. For rough ranch roads and anything called a public road, KiLleR has proven to be indestructible (Oh, shit. What have I done?) I have EM raising links and stiff front suspension (springs, spacers, heavyweight oil) on KiLleR. (And lots of other bolt upgrades, braces, etc.)

Big giant Hyper-Pro springs on the Big Ugly. Have done some rough stuff. Barely O.K. if it will end quickly (like one bad section) but too much weight for a hour, much less all-day. Class II roads? All day long and mucho fun with a TKC front and a 90/10 rear.

The little 450's are great, and if I had a desire to do single track that would be the ticket, but I don't think many people on one could leave Tombstone, run over to 191 up to Alpine, head over to Reserve , hit the mountain dirt for 50 miles and then head to Deming for the night . 505 miles WFO. KiLleR never stumbled, never complained. Next day , big dirt near Cloudcroft that the Big Ugly would have had trouble with (with me on her). It'll never be like my nephews KTM's but........they couldn't have made that trip without blowing something up.

And KiLleR ain't worth shit. If you are Mexico and somebody wants it? Hell, give it to them. ;)

So.... The question is, how ya gonna use it?

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 09:56 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote