User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Choke cable issue on '06 KTM 640 Adv

So I installed a set of 2" Rox Risers last night. Had plenty of slack in all the cables, choke cable seemed fine.

Started up the bike today and the lever basically wouldn't let me close the choke down, bike was idling at 3000 rpm constantly.

When I got back home I took apart the controls, released the choke cable and routed it in front of my forks, giving it plenty of travel. Put it all back together and it's the same thing.

It just seems like there isn't enough free play in the cable itself. Even with the cable unhooked, when I pull on it, there isn't a lot of slack. The lever isn't moving freely, despite me checking that my routing of the cable inside the control clam shell is proper.

Not sure what to do, as it's not an issue with cable length at this point, the way I have it routed leaves plenty of length for it. Not sure if I'm putting it together wrong or what.

Of course it was fine before I installed the risers...
Old 04-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,958
You can have a new choke cable made by motion pro or install a shorter style one off of a 03-04 625 SXC that would be mounted on your cam chain tensioner mount bolt. You may be stretching your throttle cables as well that can be remiidied by turning the whole throttle assembly upside down or.. wait for it.. have new longer cables made by motion pro.. or somehow source a longer set. Issues always arise when you veer from stock on handlebar height.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

I've already rotated the throttle cables, no worries there. De-compression lever works fine still.

I've got slack in the choke cable itself, but the inner part seems to be binding. That's what I'm confused about. I've routed the choke so there's plenty of slack, but it's still not working properly.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
If the black part that goes into the carb on the end of the cable is broken or not seated correctly it will pull the choke on even if the lever on the bar is fully off. I'd check that.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Hmm, that could explain why it seems to be binding even with slack in the cable. Looks like I need to remove the tank and take a peek...
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, removed the fuel tank this morning. The connection at the carb was fine. However, there's a little sleeve connector about halfway down the cable, underneath the tank. That's where the cable had slipped out, once I put it back together everything was fine.

With the choke cable routed from in front of the forks to behind the forks there's plenty of slack. Thanks for the help!