User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
markk53 OP
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
The European brands ought to be ashamed

Husqvarna, KTM, and the like ought to be ashamed they don't make a value priced bike with slightly lower grade components to get new riders on an affordable bike.

Why don't they just put a lower grade fork and shock easily sourced from about any source, since Sachs and others probably make lower line forks for other aps - heck they probably make moped forks and shocks so it's not like they can't do it. Not all Brembo and Grimeca brakes are ridiculously expensive either, they make 'em for scooters and such. If they can't do it Showa and KYB can. Figure out how they can minimize expense and still get a decent bike under the rider like the Japanese can. The pricing of the BMWs against the Hondas has pretty much shown there is close to parity in the currency exchange rate so it should be possible, especially for KTM with manufacturing in India.

They can back off the cutting edge racer a bit to make a $5500-7500 dual sport 250 that a new rider could justify - and ride easier - over those $10,000 plated racers.

Heck, Harley even figured it out with their new 500 and 750.

There is no reason for KTM and others not to build more economical motorcycle for new riders and those on a budget!

At least no better reason than the reason why the Japanese makers don't build a premium level bike to go head to head with KTM.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 05:54 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Why join the dive to the bottom?

A brand name can be lost by producing junk... Then where's the appeal?

Everything can be had cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper... Pretty soon nobody makes any money, the product is discardable and doesn't work... Nobody wins.

Welcome to "globalization"
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I think this post is supposed to poke fun at the other thread making fun of the Japanese manufacturers. That's the way I read it. Here's the opposite thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000013

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
I know....:)
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
In all seriousness, Portuguese Manufacturer AJP does exactly that. The also import into the states now and are pretty cool for what they are.

Check em out.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Wonder what the prices are for the AJP bikes? They look pretty good. Hope they make it in the US market. Always good to see more choices available.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Husqvarna, KTM, and the like ought to be ashamed they don't make a value priced bike with slightly lower grade components to get new riders on an affordable bike.

Why don't they just put a lower grade fork and shock easily sourced from about any source, since Sachs and others probably make lower line forks for other aps - heck they probably make moped forks and shocks so it's not like they can't do it. Not all Brembo and Grimeca brakes are ridiculously expensive either, they make 'em for scooters and such. If they can't do it Showa and KYB can. Figure out how they can minimize expense and still get a decent bike under the rider like the Japanese can. The pricing of the BMWs against the Hondas has pretty much shown there is close to parity in the currency exchange rate so it should be possible, especially for KTM with manufacturing in India.

They can back off the cutting edge racer a bit to make a $5500-7500 dual sport 250 that a new rider could justify - and ride easier - over those $10,000 plated racers.

There is no reason for KTM and others not to build more economical motorcycle for new riders and those on a budget!

At least no better reason than the reason why the Japanese makers don't build a premium level bike to go head to head with KTM.

They seem to be selling out at the high prices, why would they be foolish enough to offer cheap bikes that would compete with the high dollar ones?

I just bought a good used one, and that's fine with me.

It really doesn't take long for a $10,000 dirt bike to become a $3000 one.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Wonder what the prices are for the AJP bikes? They look pretty good. Hope they make it in the US market. Always good to see more choices available.
There is a us importer and Trail Rider has reviewed both the PR4 and PR5 with both receiving good marks,

$5995 MSRP for the PR5

$4995 MSRP for the PR4

http://motoajp.com/

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
There is a us importer and Trail Rider has reviewed both the PR4 and PR5 with both receiving good marks,

$5995 MSRP for the PR5

$4995 MSRP for the PR4

http://motoajp.com/

How's that compare to the Honda & Yamaha 250's ? Are they Japanese made?

The dry weight of the PR5 looks better than them, but the fuel capacity & mpg not so good.

Wish there were more US dealers, just one dealer in VT won't be able to get many sold & tested across the US. It will be good to hear some ride reports & see a few more dealerships established. Good luck to them.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Most of your your questions are answered on their website. There are dealers in WA, PA, FL, VT, and WI.

Probably not a good bike for someone who needs dealer service, but great for someone who wants Euro design and focus but doesn't need cutting edge performance. They will still handle way better than a CRFL or WRR though from the sounds of it. You're probably going to be limited on range due to the fuel tank design.

This is more of a high performance budget enduro, not a wrr competitor.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,166
The entry level Porsche is a used one. Same w/ the euro bikes and lots of other high quality stuff. I've had a bunch of nice euro bikes and never spent much more than $5k for any one of them and I quite happy w/ my $15k Porsche. I don't mind letting someone do some of the farkeling and take the depreciation hit.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

Mark...footdragger called and said he has a room reserved for you.

On a semi-serious note, isn't KTM doing a bit of the "more affordable" bike with their 390 Duke?...into which I hope will morph a 390 street legal enduro model in the near future. But...this is probably more of a semi-fun endeavor, so I won't inject too much drama...or the mention of unicorns.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Most of your your questions are answered on their website. There are dealers in WA, PA, FL, VT, and WI.

That's good. The website I entered from was their international home page, and it only listed the VT dealer in the US & the demo rides were just listed from the VT dealer. When I entered from their US site it listed the other dealers. It's good that they have some others.

They don't appear to be street legal. If they have the MSO like KTMs which allows them to be street titled in most states that would be good. The PR3 is impressively light weight and also has a low seat height, (not sure if there are many choices of 17" rear tires). That should be attractive to a lot of folks.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
The dealer I use is KTM only and sold out of 500's. He could sell more if he could get them. He only had one 350 and one 690 left. He also said 1190's were selling well. Apparently the Dukes were selling but not as fast as the dual sport, dirt and adventure models.

So it doesn't sound to me like cutting prices to go head to head with the Japanese is really an issue for him. Personally, I would rather see the Japanese retool some of those Reagan and Clinton era production lines to go head to head with KTM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,800
looking at AJP reminded me how much i'd like to see highland motors come about for a real market share
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote