User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
kenwaterhouse OP
very noob

Oddometer: 5
jo'burg to mfuwe (zambia) help.....

first off, this is my first post, in my first thread, and the second day i've been a member of the site. and it looks sweet. definately something i can see myself getting into.

on to the thread though, let us not waste time. :)

im a flat out newbie. in adventure riding, especially in the way you guys all seem to do it, but ofcourse, thats why you're the pro's and im the noob. I've got a sort of shoestring approach to life at the moment, and in order to kind of carry on winning me some bread and roofing my head, i need to get not only myself, but my bike (please spare the laughs) honda nxr125 up to zambia, mfuwe zambia to be precise.

so, here we go, the bigger the flood, if even only a trickle of answers, the better. all opinions welcome and anything anything else you can think of that might help me out. the criteria are kinda summed up by this..... money, thats a big one, im 22 and well yeah, a bit of a vagabond, and money is something in have for short periods of time only. so any huge costs you know i'll face, please by all means, the warning helps. also, i guess, does anyone out there think the bike will even make it?

this is getting esssay length and no one will read it.... so yeah. any help guys n girls, members of the jury, and fellow two wheeled friends.

peace, ken
kenwaterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
Gruebane
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
great lil bike for the journey .... wish you well...

From JHB i would go via botswana into zambia and to your desitnation. Zambia is quite expensive to get into though (as i recall) .... if i figure it right that nxr has a 11 litre tank good for 350 km's so you wont run out anywhere along the route.

I would go from jhb to alldays (ZA) cross the border into botswana stay in francistown , onto chobe ,into zambia .... its long stretches on a 125 but doable.

Not sure where you are from ,pop me a PM or post here.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
kenwaterhouse OP
very noob

cheers man!

wow, i really wasnt expecting such a hasty reply hey. and then the added bonus of it actually being a positive one. i was thinking, nah, all these guys are gonna think im some douche doesn't know anything.

thanks for the help though man. im thinking of making some semi saddle bag type things, so i can take a bit of fuel with me for the jsut in case moments. especially with the bike not having an actual fuel guage, it can be easily forgotten sometimes. you know how it is, get into the swing of the ride, enjoying it taking in the scenery and then cough cough splutter splutter and off to the side of the road you go.

do you know much about the paperwork side of it? what papers and things do i need to get ready before i just go trying to ride across a border? like botswana and zambia? the bike is paid for, and the registration all up to date.

any other tips you've got still hugely appreciated :)

and thanks again
ken
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
kenwaterhouse OP
very noob

johannesburg by the way.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Disselboom
Medium Rare Dog

Oddometer: 6
Go here:http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...0c9274c95ae04&
Disselboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Gruebane
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwaterhouse
cheers man!

wow, i really wasnt expecting such a hasty reply hey. and then the added bonus of it actually being a positive one. i was thinking, nah, all these guys are gonna think im some douche doesn't know anything.

thanks for the help though man. im thinking of making some semi saddle bag type things, so i can take a bit of fuel with me for the jsut in case moments. especially with the bike not having an actual fuel guage, it can be easily forgotten sometimes. you know how it is, get into the swing of the ride, enjoying it taking in the scenery and then cough cough splutter splutter and off to the side of the road you go.

do you know much about the paperwork side of it? what papers and things do i need to get ready before i just go trying to ride across a border? like botswana and zambia? the bike is paid for, and the registration all up to date.

any other tips you've got still hugely appreciated :)

and thanks again
ken
Crossing the border you will need

a) passport - if you have a ZA passport no problem and no visa's needed. U will need to pay 60 pula to get into Bots plus 40 pula 3rd party.
b) licence document for bike. if its stil being financed you will need permission from bank to take it over borders. (make lots of photcopies and have them certified before leaving. just in case)

as disselboom abouve stated, join wilddogs forum ..all the info you need will be given there
Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
kenwaterhouse OP
very noob

thanks guys. i'll post here when i've done the ride and let you know how it went.

thanks for the help, mucho appreciated!

ken
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
kenwaterhouse OP
very noob

bought a 1983 yamaha xt550. in pretty good nick. motor blew on my NXR today riding back to joburg from ventersburg (after kroonstad) poor little thing never knew how hard it'd have to work...
gonna start the big ride up to mfwue on the 14th. The basic route is gonna be Jo'burg to beitbridge, to harare, through again at kariba and up to lusaka. then after a week in lusaka, off up to Mfwue.
will post pics and stuff when it's all over and done with and i'm bear the internet again.
thanks for the tips.
peace
ken