Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #76
trekkerguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a rv View Post
it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow.
+1 ....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #77
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I had an '09 H-D Road King when I picked up the KLR. I still have the KLR and have yet to miss the H-D after more than a year.

I do have a lighter, more agile bike for the tighter trail stuff, though.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #78
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 154
I just can't fathom only having one bike, and if I could only have one bike, I'm not sure a KLR would be it. I love the dual sport aspect and my brother and a friend both have KLR's and love them. I completely appreciate the simplicity and reliability of the KLR, which is what always attracted me to my old Honda XR's and XL's. I currently have a TE630 Husky that is my KLR, but I wouldn't do long highway rides on it (even though there are quite a few who have), but that's what my other bikes are for. I do have to admit that the price of admission on the KLR is very, very attractive. In fact, it almost makes more sense to buy a new one than a used one based on the prices I've seen lately.

But a KLR would never provide the cushy-ness of my Tiger, or the handling of my Sprint, or the coolness of my big cruiser Thunderbird. Each one flips my switch in different ways. All are paid for and cheap to operate. I think the KLR would be a good companion bike for someone, but I could never have one as my only bike. I may have slowed down some over the years, but my only real concession to old age is that I prefer not to have to kickstart my bikes anymore.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperama View Post
I just can't fathom only having one bike, and if I could only have one bike, I'm not sure a KLR would be it.
Same boat, different viewpoint. I have many bikes that tickle my funny bone in different ways. But, if I could only have "One" it would be the KLR.

The KLR "can" do anything my other bikes do, but not vice-versa in the same capacity that the KLR performs.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #80
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
i replaced a 955i tiger for the klr back in 2008.
put over 30k on the klr before my job changed and i was commuting 40 miles one way on the highway so i replaced the klr with a vstrom650.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #81
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I sold my VFR this spring so the KLR is my only "real" bike now.

For me it came down to the roads. The VFR kept me too close to civilization and it's paved roads. These days I try to get away from all that crap.

KLR650

fleshpiston screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 04:35 PM
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #82
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
New years eve bump.
The 2006 I've mentioned previously may finally be in my name by the end of next month or so.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #83
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Versys to KLR250

I sold my '08 Versys and picked up an '03 KLR........KLR250, that is. I've also got an '05 KLR250.

It's probably the best overall bike I've ever owned, out of many. As I get older (and fatter) though, I've felt the need for more power, and something with electric start. I considered a KLR650 and a DR650, but pretty much made up my mind to buy a new Husky Terra 650. I wanted a smoother and more powerful version of the KLR650.

Just as I was about to buy the Terra, I came across a clean, low-mileage '99 DR350, and I couldn't resist.
It's a nice step up in power from the KLR250, and it's electric start to boot. It also has better brakes and suspension. I think it's going to be a decent mid-distance street bike, while being more dirt-capable than the KLR650.

I'm still keeping my two KLR250's though...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #84
kickstand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Gs 1200 ktm 640e

LOL After taking the GS on a few dual sport rides in the area mainly gravel and min maintenance roads decided it weighted way to much for this half century old guy was looking for something smaller or not as heavy stubbled across KTM adventure models which looked intriguing guy at local KTM shop suggested the E model which is approx. 30 lbs lighter than adventure aprox. 300-310 lbs about half the weight of the GS. 4.5 gal tank good for close to two hundred mile range and the fun factor is over the top strong motor good suspension little more maintenance than KLR. Now thinking of just selling the GS will miss comfort on long trips of the GS. But staying off the interstate and on secondary two lane is more relaxing and enjoyable many time the two lanes take you thorough small town rural America which I've find very cool.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #85
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
LOL ....Now thinking of just selling the GS will miss comfort on long trips of the GS. But staying off the interstate and on secondary two lane is more relaxing and enjoyable many time the two lanes take you thorough small town rural America which I've find very cool.
Just done exactly that. Sold the '07 1200GS. Loved fuel injection, ABS, and the 'concept' of being able to ride to any point on the globe. But.... hated the weight. I'm half a century old. Ride a trials bike for pure dirt fun and fitness and found that the GS was like driving an SUV. Hell, I even had to look for wide flat parking spaces. I couldn't just bounce up curbs like the XRs and XLs of my youth. So the heavy old girl had to go.

I think 'light is right'. I do fancy a KTM 640, but there are no new ones around and I am wary of the reliablity. So, if it is about the journey to the destination and not the time it takes to get there ie. you limit yourself to minimal motorways/slab time then I don't need beyond 120kmh /75mph touring capability. All of which leads me to buying a 650 single. The new Beemer Sertao, or a late model Dakar look good. But the way the KLR owners talk about their bikes has swung me too look at a late model KLR650. There is something good to be said for simple and functional. I'm not driven just by price for this purchase, but the KLR -carb, 5 speed box and all - seems to be a good bike to compliment the cage and the trials bike.
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #86
ricmachado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
i sold a harley road king police 08 and got a klr 07

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #87
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
Here you go.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828655
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #88
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Ain't there yet but I'm trying....

Dammit boy!!!!
Been reading this website for a few weeks now. Came across it on another forum for the KLR. I've been owning and riding since...a long time ago. Currently got an HD and an antique Suzuki in my garage. Like many, I spent a lot of years riding to work and an occassional trip to Sturgis or some other destination on the HD or other big bike. I've had a big Yamaha with matching trailer for a few years and that was an excellent cruiser and made me smile every time I fired it up. I've always wanted to do some trips like I see on here and the KLR looks to be the bike for that. I wouldn't think of selling my hog or the old Suzy. I don't think they make any one bike good for everything. As soon as I can find one, I'm gonna have a KLR. Don't care for the blacked out rims and stuff so I'm looking for an 11 model. I've been reading this and a couple of other forums a lot of late. For dependability and ease of maintenance and availability of parts and price, I don't see how a person could go any other way. Just my opinion but I don't own one yet. Maybe I'll sing a different tune when I do but it wouldn't be the first time I've bought something only to trade later when it ain't what I think it is. Happy trails to all....
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #89
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
FINALLY! Finally got the paperwork done and insured last week.
I'm liking this bike. The roomy layout works great for my long legs and arms. The seat is less torturous than any of my previous XRs or '11 DR650. I installed a larger main jet and DG muffler and that really woke the engine up. It has great throttle response and pulls awesome in the lower and mid RPM and isn't bad on top either. This engine makes old-school thumper power which I love--it's a true THUMPER.
The suspension and brakes are a little lacking but that can all be worked out over time. Even so, I think it handles quite well.
This bike will only be used as a street bike that can be taken off road--as in gravel roads, dirt roads and maybe some mild two-track.
Overall I'm pretty darn happy with this bike.

A couple obligatory pics from todays ride.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #90
xnihilo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Okay, I'll chime in.
I, too, did pretty much the same as most of you here. Back in '06 I bought a Harley Street Bob and started dumping $ in it left and right....everyone knows the drill without having to go into detail. When the bike was about "perfect" I thought it best to get a commuter as to not draw attention to the Road Queen in the parking lot every day.
Enter in a new '08 KLR.
Like most have said, it is a simple hop-on-and-ride kind of bike. Cheap to maintain, much easier in the corners, and although I didn't want to admit it at first--more fun!
Sold the Bobber.
You'd think I woulda learned from that experience, but no. Pride got the best of me and I just had to have a Multistrada (at least it was used).
Same thing.
Was riding the KLR much more than even the thoroughbred Ducati!
Sold it within a year.

Still have the KLR. Will it always be my only bike? Probably not. However, I will never be without one
xnihilo is offline   Reply With Quote