Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
OldCoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Good luck, and safe riding! Sorry about the job. Things will get better.... always do....
Looks like a fun trip... I'm subscribed... let's see lots of pics -- especially of the blue ridge areas.... we love the mountains... but we don't like I-85.

Ride safe!

OldCoot's Blog: Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Interactive Google Maps: Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #32
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
if you make it up into Westchester Co. NY let me know and i'll buy you lunch.

George
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #33
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt
ok...I replied to quickly....I was looking at the pic of the clean (not packed) up bike...

Yeah....WTF is that front tire? LOL
haha, i'm thinking it's a 130 Shinko rear tire.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #34
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I just got in from a little "adult entertainment" with an old friend, so I will see how much I can add to my report. Let me just say that a good time was had by all.

It is late, and the beers were flowing, so please excuse anything you find incorrect or otherwise offensive.

Thanks for all the well wishes, and for tuning in. Hopefully I can give you something worthwhile to read.

XS500RUS, you are one of the ones that has inspired me to do this, I want to thank you. The Bandit so far has been great!

I am staying at a friend's house in Maryland tonight, so I can try to get some of this report in.

Stay tuned...
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #35
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some more pictures of before I left:

My only source of income at the moment:

gruney1 screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 08:25 AM
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #36
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thursday, May 6 2010 Day 1

After changing my oil & filter, I ended up pulling out of the driveway at 10 AM. The weather was perfect, and traffic was very light. Headed toward the dragon’s tail, because I have never been there, and NEEDED a dragon sticker or two.

The Shinko (aka: Stinko, Junko, Chinko, and Kung Pow) tires are good. They are round and black and hold air. Although I did have to Rube Goldberg the front fender to fit that tire on. It’s a 130 something something 17. That’s about as technical as I get about tires.
The reservoir in Dahlonega:

Practicing shooting on the fly:

Grab some Possum water on the way up, it's good fer what ail's ya!

And here's where to get it:

Another failed look for me:

I got my stickers (big whoop) and went on my way. The Dragon’s Tail: lots of turns in a short distance, blah, blah, blah, yakity yak.

Which one of these bikes doesn't belong here?

These 2 bikes must have been broken, why else would they be on a trailer?

I stopped at Mickey D’s for lunch and dropped $3.00 on some dollar menu items and went on my merry way. Met a Gold Winger and his woman from Quebec in the parking lot and he asked me (in a Quebeckian accent), what kind of GPS I had, because he had never seen such a big one. I should have responded with, “That’s what she said”, but he wouldn’t have got it, although his female passenger may have understood.

On to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I seemed to ride forever, and the views were, well, beautiful. And I don’t use the word beautiful every day. Very little traffic to slow me down, and I didn’t slow too many people down, either. Just the way I like it. There were some sections that were closed because of bigfoot sightings, but the detours were a nice change of scenery. How many mountains can you look at in a day anyway?

Does this shot make my front tire look big?

I like how the shadows of the clouds show on the mountains

The obligatory highest elevation sign shot:

I was trying to show the broken tree tops in these next photos. Musta been a strong wind.

After my first beer stop of the trip: the red cooler is full of amber goodness.

After riding all day, I knew I had to find a place to erect my tent. (That’s right I said erect). After consulting with my Garmin 2610, (the really big one), I found that it was useless, unless you wanted LuLu’s Bed & Breakfast, or Big Bubba’s RV-a-Rama. I had no cell phone service, so I couldn’t call them anyway. So I would just keep riding until something came up. Yeah, that’s a real good plan….

Actually it worked out because I got stuck behind one of those behemoth motor homes, and since it was almost 8 PM, I knew he would have to stop for the night soon. So I followed him at 21.6 MPH for what seemed like forever, and he led me straight to Mount Mitchell State Park, which had tent camp sites. It cost me $20, but I was desperado, so I took it. He didn’t tell me it didn’t have showers, a fact that would haunt me later on.

Get yourself one of those LED head lamps. Best five dollars I’ve spent, other than the saddle bags. The borrowed tent (thanks, Scotty) was up in a few minutes, and my water was a’boilin’ (tryin’ to be southern) in no time. The Ramen wasn’t bad after a long day in the Corbin, and was washed down nicely with some PBR Tallboys.

One of my “neighbor” campers invited me over to visit, so I did. I guess he felt sorry for me, sitting in the dark, drinking a beer with a light on my head. Nice guys going to some music festival the next day. I never heard of it, so I said, “Oh, you mean like Woodstock?” They laughed and muttered something about old fart… Young whippersnappers, old man voice on//STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!//old man voice off

I spent $46 today, and $20 was for the campsite, $18 was for gas. Those $4.79 PBR’s will have to last a while….and by the way, bring some imodium if you’re gonna drink a lot of em.

That’s all I can remember right now for Thursday, thanks for reading, and I hope it makes sense.

All this stuff was on my bike. Note the bear-proof cabinet in the background:

The tent platform, complete with Christmas Trees: Where's Clark Griswold when you need him?

Here's the nectar of the gods:

Home Sweet Home:

The white powder is coffee creamer:

It's maiden usage:

gruney1 screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 08:45 AM
Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
fzmax
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Yesterday I met up with Kenny in beautiful downtown Winchester so we could ride back to my place in Elkton. It's been almost two years since I saw Kenny, so when I spied his bike in the parking lot I thought a homeless guy was scoping it out. A few days in a tent with no shower will do that to a man.

On the way back I took the opportunity to switch bikes with him and ride the Bandit. Before that I was thinking that Kenny rode like an old woman. After my ride I'm not sure if I'd call the Bandit clapped out, but those tires introduced some interesting handling anomalies.

Anyway, it was great seeing you and hanging out again, best of luck on your Long Island adventure. I'm not at all sorry about missing that.
fzmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817

Go, Gruney!

I enjoyed meeting and riding with you on Honcho's Fall Ball, and I am enjoyin' this RR.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #39
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Great report! I'm going to flog my Bandit on a big ride in June and am wondering what the range is on a loaded Bandit. How many miles between fuel stops?
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #40
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
Great ride so far!! Looking forward to more of your journey....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #41
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 693
Diggin it Be safe and have a blast, looking forward to more
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #42
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt
Great report! I'm going to flog my Bandit on a big ride in June and am wondering what the range is on a loaded Bandit. How many miles between fuel stops?
I usually get 140-150 miles to a tank. I didn't notice a difference loaded vs unloaded.

Tanks for reading and have a good trip.

Kenny
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #43
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
This is by far the cleanest representation of your bike I have ever seen.

Safe travels Gruney! I can't wait to see what things you encounter.
That's an older picture, I have never seen it that clean since then either
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #44
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,756
Ken,

I might have missed it, but how long did it take you to travel the BRP end-to-end? PBR, damn, that's hardcore.

MB
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #45
Morinite
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
Subscribed,
Some advice; If you need to go long periods between showers get some hand sanitizer and use it to kill bacteria in your hair hands or where ever. Stuff works, use your water for drinking /cooking. rinse your underclothing every so often as bacteria can and will make you sick. I'm an old soldier and I know what I'm talking about. Get a can of Lysol to spray your boots, tent, sleeping bag etc...where germs grow. If you can't do that set your stuff out in the sun, UV rays will kill most germs too (after few hours).

Tires, I'm not a tire guy so no advice other than watch your wear patterns and air pressure. (lots of comments about your front tire..humph).

Lots of places where Walmarts exsist allow camping in the parking lots, I've done it a few times. 20$ for a camp site with no amenities is BS and I'd find a spot in the bush off the main road. If you are in bear contry hoist your food in a tree. A 5$ head lamp is ok but get a backup, if it goes down that's going to suck.

Good luck and god speed, now go find your smile.

PS: Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing.

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote