Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
Ken,

I might have missed it, but how long did it take you to travel the BRP end-to-end? PBR, damn, that's hardcore.

MB
You didn't miss it, I am just getting the rest of the pictures uploaded, and will post again soon.

I would say it took 2 solid days the way I did it. I took my time and stopped often to pop more Advil...
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #47
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinite
Subscribed,
Some advice; If you need to go long periods between showers get some hand sanitizer and use it to kill bacteria in your hair hands or where ever. Stuff works, use your water for drinking /cooking. rinse your underclothing every so often as bacteria can and will make you sick. I'm an old soldier and I know what I'm talking about. Get a can of Lysol to spray your boots, tent, sleeping bag etc...where germs grow. If you can't do that set your stuff out in the sun, UV rays will kill most germs too (after few hours).

Tires, I'm not a tire guy so no advice other than watch your wear patterns and air pressure. (lots of comments about your front tire..humph).

Lots of places where Walmarts exsist allow camping in the parking lots, I've done it a few times. 20$ for a camp site with no amenities is BS and I'd find a spot in the bush off the main road. If you are in bear contry hoist your food in a tree. A 5$ head lamp is ok but get a backup, if it goes down that's going to suck.

Good luck and god speed, now go find your smile.

PS: Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing.
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I found a better spot to camp the next night. Stay tuned...

My smile has been found and I will try not to lose it again
Old 05-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #48
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Friday, May 7, 2010 Day 2

I spent a lot of time and miles on Thursday with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Deals Gap riding, and I was only just north of Asheville, NC in Mount Mitchell State Park. Not as far as I had hoped for the first day of my trip. There goes the schedule.

When I woke up Friday morning, I was shivering, it was so cold up on Mount Mitchell! I found out that it was the highest elevation east of the Rockies at 6,684 feet. No wonder I was cold…. 2 quick packs of oatmeal and a weak cup of coffee got me going. Time to load up the bike. What an ordeal. I took the beaded seat thing off, as my A$$ was killing me yesterday! Maybe it will be better without it. Hopefully I will get better at packing up the bike.

It felt really good to get going again, even without a shower. The roads were twisty, the air was clear and cool, and there was virtually no traffic. The plan was to stay on the BRP as much as possible, except where it was closed.

Breakfast:

Gas stop just off the BRP:

gruney1 screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 08:54 AM
Old 05-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #49
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stopped and splurged for lunch at the Triple Play Café in Taylorsville, NC. The chopped barbeque plate was awesome, and the NC style sauce was a nice change from the Georgia style sauce. I took the fries and hush puppies with me, you never know when you might get hungry.

I got tired of the scenic route around 5PM, so I hopped on I-81 for a while, figuring I would see one of those blue signs with a campground. I did see a few, but I was finally covering some miles, so I was reluctant to stop. I even saw a KOA sign, but for some reason I pushed forward.

Watch out for the cows, they kill you SLOW!

Christmas Tree farm:

gruney1 screwed with this post 05-11-2010 at 06:08 PM
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #50
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 Continued:

I made it to Buena Vista, VA when I saw a sign for a campground, so I pulled off I-81 to call it a day. I could not find the stupid campground, and I was getting stressed out, because now it was around 7:30, and daylight was running out. I had to find a place to stop for the night soon. I stumbled back across the BRP, so I got back on. Mistake #1.

I rode up the BRP some more scouting for a good place to set up my tent. I saw a grassy area just to the right, and there was a turn off right there, so I made the turn. Mistake #2.

There were No Trespassing signs on every tree, and no place to hide, so I kept riding, looking for a good spot. Mistake #3.

Here’s where those ugly tires paid off. The narrow road turned to gravel, with no way to turn around easily, so I trudged onward. I was moving at 35-40 MPH with no problems, when I thought about what would happen if I fell in this remote area with this heavy 500 pound bike. I slowed to about 20 MPH and continued searching.

After about 8 miles of gravel roads and no place to camp, I suddenly came upon a Baptist Church, complete with pavilion and cemetery. I remembered reading how some people used a school or church to camp, so I pulled into the gravel parking lot. I parked the bike on a concrete slab under the pavilion, and took a look around. No one here but me and the cows.

And the dead people.

There was a short cinder block wall for me to sit on, and the cold hard concrete felt good after riding all day.

It was still light out so I decided to eat dinner before I set up my tent. This way I could say I was just taking a break if someone showed up. I had leftover French fries and hush puppies that I saved from lunch at the Triple Play Café. And of course washed it down with an ice cold PBR. I even spilled a little out for my dead homies. Not a bad meal, and I was feeling pretty good.

No one showed up and it was getting dark so I set up the tent. There would be no neighbors inviting me to visit tonight. There were serious wind gusts, and the tent blew away like a big beach ball. There were no stakes because I was on concrete. I chased and caught the runaway tent and put it back under the roof. This time I put all my stuff in there to keep it anchored down.

I used the tent’s fly cover to cover my bike so no would see the reflectors or chrome. I only had to reattach it twice throughout the night. I hung my food, beer, and toiletry bag from the rafters, in case of bears. I learned that from Boy Scouts.

It was windier than last night, but not as cold. The tent was buffeting (is that a word?) from the wind gusts all night, and an occasional low mooooo was spooky enough to keep me awake, even as tired as I was. By 1AM I decided that an Ambien would help, and it did.

I thought about the bike getting blown over onto me, and if it did, my head would be crushed. In lieu of wearing the helmet to sleep, I changed my position in the tent, so only my feet would be crushed. In hindsight, I should have just moved the tent over a few feet. DUH!

I woke up at 5:30, with the pre dawn light to help me pack everything up again. I was outta there by 6:20, skipping breakfast and coffee this time. I had 5 miles of gravel road to navigate before I hit the BRP again. The Shinko 705 tires worked great!

My camping spot showing the short wall that was so comfortable:

The view from my spot, that's where the cows were:

The back of the church:

The dead Baptists:

The sign said "Visitors Welcome":

The view from the road, you couldn't see me unless you pulled into the lot:

My f
irst attempt at a timer shot, I had to buy the hat to hide my nasty hair. There goes the day's budget!

Dinner was leftovers from lunch. Fries and hush puppies. The beer was from the day before's budget buster.

Home Sweet Home: Day 2

Specs after 2 days of riding:

Day 2 Expenses:
$8.50 Lunch
$4.99 Dodge Motorsports Hat
$1.75 Bag of ice
~$20.00 Gas
$34.25 Total

gruney1 screwed with this post 05-11-2010 at 06:26 PM
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #51
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
My new favorite thread, thanks
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #52
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness
My new favorite thread, thanks

Glad you're enjoying it.

Must

sleep

now,

more later.

Kenny
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #53
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Sorry about the job, but sounds like it was a dead end in any case. Doing stuff like this when you get the chance - even if it was forced on you - is pretty much the most valuable way you can spend your time as a real human and not just an automaton, though. Thoreau would be proud of you!

Got in late to the thread but enjoying it so far - and I was cheering on those fugly tires from the first picture, glad to hear they came in handy.

Keep the shiny side up!
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #54
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday, May 8, 2010 Day 3

My youngest son (Hollywood) is doing a report on Thomas Jefferson for school so I told him I would stop at Monticello and get some pictures for him. I just wanted some pictures of the house, but I could not get to it unless I took the tour for $22. I guess that made up for the free night of camping the previous night. So here are the pictures of Monticello, the tour was actually very interesting, and I learned a lot about the man. There were no picture taking allowed inside the house, something about the camera's flash would deteriorate the old stuff. Whatever...

Look at all that cash just laying around. That could finance the rest of my trip!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #55
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,591
Great pics and story. You got me wishing I was out of work so I could do something like this Last time I was out of work, I had not discovered this forum and never considered doing something like this.

For now, at least I get to follow along on your trip. Thanks!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #56
Dozer1
i ride your bike

Oddometer: 298
If you swing by Baltimore, I've got a clapped out Bandit as well and would be more than happy to meet you for beers, on me.
"Once again there is tons of South Americans, Europeans and miscellanious Asians strolling around but dang few Americans. They are probably busy working overtime saving up for just the right bike, gps, saddle bags, blue tooth, crash bars, audio mixer/wahatever. Work harder, faster I am sure that next bike will be the one to make you happy."
www.flickr.com/noahscialom
Dozer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #57
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
I am really enjoying this! Thanks and keep it coming.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #58
pashlit
Live free or die...

Oddometer: 199
Great trip. Just did almost the same but reverse Stay warm in that cold weather.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #59
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit
Great trip. Just did almost the same but reverse Stay warm in that cold weather.
It has been cold, but my heated grips are coming in handy. (no pun intended) I'm just glad the wind is dying down. I like riding in the cool crisp air. It's invigorating!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #60
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land

Go, Gruney!

I enjoyed meeting and riding with you on Honcho's Fall Ball, and I am enjoyin' this RR.

Chris
Hi Chris