Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #61
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
Have Fun Gruney You Eill Not Regret It!!
Having a blast so far, Thanks!

Here is where I am now:
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #62
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeonabike
Clapped-out? Don't just mean well-loved?
Lovin it more every day I spend on it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #63
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 Continued

After Monticello the plan was to meet up with my good friend Wayne, who lives in Maryland. We grew up on Long Island together, and have been through a lot of good times together. We decided to meet up in Winchester, VA about half way between his house and where I was. I wanted to cover the miles fast, so I-81 was the route I chose.

The wind was very gusty and it was blowing me all over the lane. I white-knuckled it all the way. I just realized that I didn’t take any pictures for this leg of the trip. Oops. We met up almost simultaneously at a Bob Evans restaurant. I guess I looked pretty rough after 2 days on the road.

After lunch we headed out on some nice rural roads in northern VA and MD. Wayne rides a Yamaha FZ1 and it was challenging to keep up. Thanks Wayne for showing me some good roads!

We made it to his house in Elkton, MD around 7, and I got to take a long overdue shower. We got to catch up, and set out to find some night life in Wilmington, DE. I will only say what happens in Wilmington stays in Wilmington. I did not get to sleep until 4:30 AM, so Sunday morning was a little rough.
Expenses for Day 3:
Thomas Jefferson Tour: $22.00
Gas ~$20.00
Lunch at Bob Evans: $19.oo
Night out: Priceless
Total Unknown

Wow, I just double checked, and I did not take a single picture on the road that day.Here's a smiley:
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #64
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday May 9, 2010 Day 4

8:30 came way too soon, but we were up and off to get some bagels and coffee.

After breakfast, it was time for some maintenance on the Bandit. We had swapped bikes for part of the ride to his house, and he noticed that the forks were a little twisted. It must have happened when I dropped the bike last month. I never noticed it. We loosened the triple clamps and twisted the bars until it seemed straight. It was definitely better.

Then we looked at the chain. It had some links that were binding up, so I cleaned it with WD40 and lubed it, then tightened it up. That seemed to help.

I took off all my camping gear and left it at Wayne’s house, as I will not be camping north of the Mason-Dixon line. Thanks for all your help Wayne, I will see you again on the way home.

Again no pics, I am really a slacker, I will do better, I promise!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #65
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruney1

Again no pics, I am really a slacker, I will do better, I promise!

Gruney I am really proud you took this trip brother. I wish I had the time and honestly..... I'm living a much needed vacation through this RR. Stay safe buddy. Your living what most never experience in a lifetime!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #66
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 Continued

The next stop was my brother’s place in New Jersey. It was only an hour and a half ride from Maryland, which was nice.

Charlie has a KLR650 and he likes to ride the pine barrens of central NJ. He has a nice place, and made me feel right at home. When I got there we went to surprise my Mom for Mother’s Day, she was with my aunt, about an hour north of Charlie’s house.

It was kinda nice to be driven in a nice car, instead of fighting the wind and traffic of NJ. My mother was happy to see us, and we had a nice visit, but I was falling asleep on the couch, so we went back to Charlie’s and crashed.

My youngest brother, Phil, lives with Charlie, but he was out most of the time I was there. He just bought a 1972 HD Sportster. That bike will be a handful when he gets it going. It is his first bike, and would not have been my first choice to learn to ride. A Bandit 1200 would be a much better choice. The Hardly needs a lot of TLC.

The NJ Turnpike:

2 Birds chillin out outside Charlie's door:

The 72 Sportster:

Charlie & Phil:

Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #67
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Monday, May 10, 2010 Day 5

I woke up Monday morning after a nice full night’s sleep at my brother's place, it felt so good to sleep in a bed after camping those first 2 days. Everyone should sleep in a tent just so they appreciate their bed like they should. Charlie, a former cook in the Marines, and trained chef, cooked me some awesome eggs with “genuine Wisconsin cheese” coffee, toast, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. It was awesome, although no comparison to the oatmeal I had atop Mount Mitchell. I am planning to resume camping on the way home, and enjoy the things that camping provides, like having nothing but time to ponder life’s details. I miss my family, but I’m pushing those feelings to the back corners of my brain as much as possible.

Charlie had worked at an oil refinery, but was recently laid off. One of the perks he got was a pair of steel toe work boots every year. He had saved a few pairs up, and started dragging them out of his closet. All size 12, perfect for me! I tried them all on and picked out the ones that felt best. They are nice, and I was long overdue for a new pair. He then brought out a box filled with gloves, glove liners, baklavas, socks, and hand warmers. He said “Take whatever you want”, so I started to make a pile. It got pretty big, so he is mailing them to my house. I am wearing the boots and wool socks now, and they are NICE! Thanks, Bro!

I got on the NJ Turnpike around 11:30 and was planning to take the Goethals Bridge, across Staten Island to the Verrazano Bridge, and through Brooklyn on the Belt Parkway. The more I thought about it, the less appealing it sounded.

I thought about cutting across Manhattan, but that was scary. I had driven a car in Manhattan before, and it is a scary deal. On a bike it was even scarier. That settled it, Manhattan it was. An added benefit to my plan was I would get to go through the Lincoln Tunnel. Another first for me on a bike.

One exit after another approached, the Garmin flashing the directions to turn on each one as I rode happily past. I held out and took the Lincoln Tunnel exit. There was an $8 toll to go through. It was a great decision, as there was no wind in the tunnel, with a 35 MPH speed limit. It gave me a chance to relax and take some pictures.

The tunnel dumped me out into a barrage of traffic jams and honking taxis. Those taxi drivers have no regard for anything but their destination, whatever that was.

I checked my fuel gauge and it was getting dangerously low, lower than any recent history. If you’ve been to NYC, you know that gas stations are few and far between. This is where the GPS saved me. I hit the buttons for gas stations, and there was a Hess about 4 blocks away! I would have never found it without the Garmin. I guess I’ll keep it. I had thought about ebaying that thing after I got home.

The Hess even had a rest room, which I desperately needed. I parked the bike and walked right up and opened the door on one of the cab drivers. He was not happy about this helmet wearing intruder disturbing his time in the potty. He yelled some foreign gibberish and stormed out. I realized when I was done that there was a line of cab drivers waiting to use it, and I just barged right in. I got out of there quick to avoid an international incident.

I had read about the Ear Inn, and wanted to check it out, even if I only ride by. The GPS seemed to know exactly where it was, so off I went. Unfortunately it led me straight into the Holland Tunnel and there was no way to turn back. So I got to ride another tunnel, this time back to New Joisey. I turned around ASAP in NJ and went back through after paying my $8 toll. GRRRRR

I gave up on the EAR INN and headed to my pop’s house. I went through Chinatown, which had a very distinctive smell to it. I crossed the Manhattan Bridge, took the BQE to the LIE, and I was there in about 45 minutes. The house looked plain in a neighborhood full of upgraded, modernized and pimped out houses. The neighborhood had changed a few times over the years. My father was one of the first to buy a house on the block, way back in 1951. I got there around 3:30 in the afternoon, and had time to unwind, unload, unpack, and drink my Dad’s last 2 Busch beers.

After settling in ad checking emails and such, I was getting hungry. And only one thing would do. White Castle! Also known as Belly Bombers, Sliders, Gut Bombs, Castles, Whitey-One-Bites, and Belly Busters. The Company publicity refers to the hamburgers as 'Sliders' and has even stated that 'the full impact of eating White Castle hamburgers normally isn't felt until the day after.'

Off I went to the nearest White Castle a few miles away. I ordered 14 cheeseburgers and a small coke. The girl asked if it was to go, I said “No thanks I’ll eat them right here”. She gave me a look of disgust and got to work on my order. I only managed to eat 8 in the restaurant, so I took the rest home with me for a later time. They were GOOOOD!!

I went to bed in my old bedroom and got a good night’s sleep with a belly full of slyders.

NEW YORK Souvenirs for sale at the NEW JERSEY rest stop:

A $1 Burger King Double Cheeseburger was $3.09 in New Jersey:

At the NJ turnpike rest area. Notice the lack of camping gear:

Inside the belly of the beast: The Lincoln Tunnel.

Trees in Manhattan:

The Hess gas station in Manhattan:

This was taken by mistake. An up view of the tunnel ceiling:

Chinatown:

If you look close you can see me in the window:

Manhattan Bridge:

Arrived at last!

My Dad's house in Uniondale, NY:

Yeah Boyeeee!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #68
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho

Gruney I am really proud you took this trip brother. I wish I had the time and honestly..... I'm living a much needed vacation through this RR. Stay safe buddy. Your living what most never experience in a lifetime!
Thanks, Kevin I needed this trip.

More to come....
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #69
OldCoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
I thought about cutting across Manhattan, but that was scary. I had driven a car in Manhattan before, and it is a scary deal. On a bike it was even scarier. That settled it, Manhattan it was.

I love it!!

OldCoot's Blog: Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Interactive Google Maps: Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #70
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
Fantastic! Bonus content with Thomas Jefferson and I love NYC. Keep it coming.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #71
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 Day 6

First, let me explain that we moved from Long Island to Georgia in 2004, and I rode my first motorcycle in 2008, so I have never ridden a motorcycle on Long Island, so even though the places were familiar, it was a new experience, and everything seemed very different than I remembered them.

Today I spent exploring my old stomping grounds. First stop was at the first house we bought. A 2 bedroom ranch with a 1 car detached garage. It looked very neglected, with the grass about a foot high. It looked like no one lived there.

From there I visited the speed shop where I worked for 19 years. I visited with the boss for a while, it was good to see him again, as well as some of the old crew.

Next up was our second house further east on Long Island in West Babylon. A much bigger house for our growing family. Not many changes were made to the outside, but it also looked run down. Took a picture and left.

I am a slave to hunger once again, and I stopped at Nunzio’s Pizza Town. Pretty good pizza, but nothing to rave about.

The roads here are very rough with bumps, cracks, patches, potholes, and manhole covers to keep me on my toes.

The Bandit seems much faster here, I think it’s because there are so many slow moving cars everywhere. It’s fun to blast around them whenever possible.

I headed back to Dad’s house around 5:00 and took a little nap on his big old couch. It’s not pretty but it’s big enough for me to stretch out on very comfortably.

Dad cooked up some chicken and vegetables that was pretty tasty. Again, not as good as the chicken flavored Ramen Noodles, but pretty good.

Tonight was my son’s band concert at the middle school. I know he did well, he knows the music cold, he practices for hours at a time. I wish I could have been there, but I know there will be many more concerts from him in the future. I will have to get him some more sheet music to play, as summer vacation is approaching, and he loves a challenging piece of music. I miss you Jimmy.

Here are my new shoes and sock compliments of my brother:

The first house we owned:

Inside the speed shop:

Something going on here that stopped traffic for a few miles:

The second house we owned:

2 Slices and a small Pepsi:

The couch zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #72
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:

Glad to see you upgraded your GPS from the Fall Ball last year.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #73
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,854
Great ride Gruney. I visited Monticello in '69 as a 9th grader on the way back from DC on a class trip. DC was "interesting" in '69 to say the least. Haven't seen a White Castle since a business trip to Columbus, OH back in the 80's. I could almost smell Chinatown and hear the taxi horns of NYC as I read your post.

Have a safe trip south. Good idea on the church ground camping although I think the graveyard would give me the creeps camping solo. Even if someone happened up on you the most you could probably expect would be an invite to dinner (unless of course they spotted the PBR, then you might be in trouble).

Ride safe,
MB
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #74
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Glad to see you upgraded your GPS from the Fall Ball last year.

Oh yeah my Bandit is fully farkled up
Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #75
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
Great ride Gruney. I visited Monticello in '69 as a 9th grader on the way back from DC on a class trip. DC was "interesting" in '69 to say the least. Haven't seen a White Castle since a business trip to Columbus, OH back in the 80's. I could almost smell Chinatown and hear the taxi horns of NYC as I read your post.

Have a safe trip south. Good idea on the church ground camping although I think the graveyard would give me the creeps camping solo. Even if someone happened up on you the most you could probably expect would be an invite to dinner (unless of course they spotted the PBR, then you might be in trouble).

Ride safe,
MB
You really need to get some White Castles, it's been way too long...