User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #121
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Great RR!

Had to drive in and read the full report so far (when I should be working!!) as I had a Bandit 600 (1995, naked) and toured a good bit in Europe on it. Loved that bike and could sit on it all day. Carried all the camping gear with no drama.

You brought back fond memories, thanks!

By chance I also have a Garmin 2610 but managed to kill it. Guess it was the vibration on the bike buggered the hard drive. Garmin did replace it with a new one at $250 cost as it was well out of warranty. I now have a second, 60CSX which I use on the bikes.

Good luck with the rest of the trip - I will stay tuned.

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #122
WrightCo
More dynamite Butch?

Oddometer: 9
I love Lou....

Just finished reading your RR. Narrdo and I ride together and he turned me on to your adventure. After I saw your last pics, factored in Long Island and speed shop, I realized the Lou you were visiting in NC was Lou Santiago from from Musclecar on Spike. What a hoot! I watch Powerblock TV, but have never really been a classic car guy. But Lou really caught my attention when he WAS the show. Very entertaining guy and it must have been fun catching up with him about the old and the new. Comparing your humor in this report and Lou's persona on tv, there must have been something in the water on L.I. back in the day. Ride on brother!

WrightCo out...
WrightCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #123
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I finally found out the limit of my stretched-out chain

Yesterday morning I was off to visit a friend in Marietta, about 60 miles from my house. I looked at my pathetic chain, shrugged my shoulders and said to myself, "I'm really gonna need to buy a chain and sprockets soon", and sprayed some lube on it. I headed out the driveway very gingerly. I noticed that it now skipped some teeth no matter how lightly I eased into the throttle. I was just starting to think it was a bad idea to continue on, when the chain let loose. I coasted to the roadside, stopped, and looked down. I saw a single end of the chain dragging the ground.

I was only about a quarter mile from my house. I imagined if that happened somewhere in Virginia or North Carolina, so I was feeling pretty lucky. I pushed the heavy corpse until I got to a fairly steep hill. I was drenched in sweat by this time, and couldn't go any further, so I called my brother to come and tow me home.

He towed me home and the bike is now resting peacefully back in the garage.

I guess I'll have to sell some more stuff to pay for a new chain & sprockets.
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #124
Narrdo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Absoultly willing to help

If you give me a pay pal address, I would love to help you out, just to keep the RR going.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #125
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrdo
If you give me a pay pal address, I would love to help you out, just to keep the RR going.
I appreciate the offer, (flattered, actually), But at this point the ride is over, and the report is all but done, so I don't have anything else to report about the trip.

I am, however, planning a few small trips this summer, and a big trip this fall, so check back. I will try to take a lot of pictures and write up complete reports on those trips.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #126
gruney1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday, May 23, 2010 continued

When I finally got to my house, my dog Suzy ran up the driveway to greet me and trotted along side the Bandit toward the garage, guiding me in like an airplane toward the hangar.

I felt a rush of relief and happiness wash over me that I had never experienced before. I was physically tired, but mentally and emotionally refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on whatever life could throw at me. It would be great to be home and spend quality time with my understanding wife, and 3 great kids.

Here are some numbers from the journey:

17 days on the road
2759 total miles
65 hours on the bike
$158.34 for gas
$98.45 for lodging
I can't remember where the rest went, but it was worth every penny. I estimate a total of about $450 to make the trip.

I am already planning my next extended trip in my head. The employment situation looks pretty bleak, so I just may be able to pull it off (time-wise), if I keep it cheap. I have been working on a few web sites, doing odd jobs, selling stuff on ebay & Craigslist, and whatever else I can do to raise cash and cut expenses. I have confidence that I will survive this downtime and come out stronger for it.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out during the trip, for the couches, the spare beds, the showers, the meals, the drinks, and the friendship along the way. It was really nice to know I have so many good friends that are willing to help me when I need it.

And I'd also like to thank advrider and its members for inspiring me and encouraging me to do the trip, and for giving me a cool place to write about it.

Right now I need to buy a new chain & sprockets to get the Bandit back on the road...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #127
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruney1 View Post
Here’s where those ugly tires paid off. The narrow road turned to gravel, with no way to turn around easily, so I trudged onward.
Thanks Gruney1. I put what I thought was a stupid google search for bandit 1200 off road tires. Found this thread and will put some stinko 705's on the Bandit for a coming trip. Got a KTM 990 and the Bandit for a trip up to Alaska. Buddy coming from Australia and he's a champion enduro rider. Bandit will even things out a bit when we ride the more dirt type stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruney1 View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I thought about the bike getting blown over onto me, and if it did, my head would be crushed. In lieu of wearing the helmet to sleep, I changed my position in the tent, so only my feet would be crushed. In hindsight, I s[SIZE=2]hould have just moved the tent over a few feet. DUH!
This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Enjoyed finding the thread. Thanks again
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote