User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,770
Laugh Bah doo be doo be doo, North GA mountain getaway

Kim put in for a much needed vacation from work, and we decided to go to the mountains to get away from the sandbox for a while. It was a toss up between riding the Wee Strom 2 up to get there, trailer it up for comfort, or trailer the dual sport bikes up. I convinced her to do the latter, because the woods are much more interesting to us, and the Strom is still in need of a better seat.

We scoured the net for a cabin, and had it narrowed down to just a few when I used google to search advrider and found a thread here in vendors. Grad's cabin seemed like just the ticket, and was very close to some of the best riding in N. GA. It was also very affordable.

4/29/10, off we go. Loaded very little in the truck and headed out. Its supposed to be an 8 hour drive, but I turned it into 11 with my misplaced sense of direction. We drove across Wolf Pen Gap twice in the middle of the night before I figured it out. Saw a crap load of deer though.

The next morning at the cabin. Time to unload everything, since we arrived just after midnight.

Kim is a happy camper! We have been going to camping events around FL and she was not going for it this time!

The view off of the upper deck in on the back of the cabin.

So we cook up some breakfast, and gear up for a ride. Towards the forest is our only plan. We quickly found some roads that were not paved.

My intent was to stick to the easy forest roads. Kim has been riding for a little over a year, and the XT is her first bike. She has about 3000mi. under her belt, and most of that is in sugar sand. She didn't ride for about 5 months of that, because she hit a tree and broke a couple of bones. I saw another road that looked like more fun and got sucked in. So I asked Kim if she would mind trying it. It seemed fine to me, but Kim got a little scared and fixated on a rock. Just a couple of bruises and she is ready to continue in a few minutes.

We have a short discussion about how she is not supposed to look at the big nasty rocks or go off the side of a cliff, and continue on. Then we come across these big humps in the road, about 5 ft tall and close to straight up on both sides. So I explain the technique and show her how its done.

She is not having it, so I go back to get her bike. She took pics of me running back across the humps, but I didn't upload them.

I like the little XT, it's nice and light. Only trouble is the lack of suspension at higher speeds.

We ended up coming to a downed tree that was difficult to cross with no way around. I am not into hurting myself or getting in over my head, so we turned around. We did some more easy forest roads and eventually made our way back. Met some advriders from Pensacola at the gas station on the way back too, really nice folks. No pics of them though.

I am not going to take the time to try and put the rest of this in order. We stayed 6 nights and 5 days. Did 3 days of DS riding and 2 days of hiking and waterfall looking. Both were great, and we took over 500 pictures!

This is from our last day. The top of FS 264, it dead ends but was a nice ride up. I was just exploring after doing a loop that Flux gave me.

Found this waterfall off the side of the road on the way down. We had to hike down the steep hillside to get to it, but this is one the normal tourists don't get to see.

There were two creek crossing on this road. Kim has been having issues with water, and was apprehensive. But I talked her into crossing it. I knew she could do it.

She did great, whew! Got to get her over the fear of drowning her bike again.

One of the many fantastic views from the side of the forest roads.

We found the swinging bridge, thanks to Flux. I wanted to show Kim this place while we were in the area.

Kim, motoring along Springer Mountain.

This was that nasty trail I found on day one. I did manage to drop my bike, but picked it up before Kim could get a pic, so it didn't happen.

Somewhere near Duncan Ridge, our third day of riding. Kim was getting quite confident by then.

Another one.

I got us lost on out second day of riding, so there was a lot of pavement involved. Here we are holding up traffic and taking pics.

Here is me on the smaller of the two water crossings on 264.

Coming back across the bigger water crossing on 264. Kim did an outstanding job on this one, the bottom was very rough. She followed my instructions and stayed on the gas! The rocks bounced her all over the place, but she stuck with it and made it across easily.

And she took some very good pictures of me! What more could you ask from a woman? Good job!

I don't recall what she was saying, but I we both laugh when we see this pic.

Here is a pic of me, without a helmet on.

Nice river pic that Kim took while I was on the phone with a customer. This is off of Dial Rd. I believe.

The structure on the right on top of Georgia's highest peak is Brasstown Bald observatory. We hike up there later.

And here is the reason for the thread title. I was showing Kim where we were headed on the map the night before, and as I trace my finger along the roads I make sound effects "Bah doo be doo be doo..." She was feeling a bit scared on some of those roads, so she started singing this to herself as she road along. She found this helped her relax and enjoy the ride, instead of getting tensed up and ready to panic. Hey, if it works I am all for it! If she is having fun, I am having fun, that is what it's all about.

The last little bit of this is not about riding, I just threw in a few pics of our waterfall lookin' and hikin'. So if you are not into that, click out of here and enjoy some more ride reports.

We hiked to Helton Falls, this is a beautiful place. We were not impressed with the boardwalk at the upper falls, and decided to walk around it to get a closer look. Adventure hiking, if you will.

The .6 mile hike up to Brasstown Bald was quite strenuous. It was well worth it though, and we could always use some exercise. Don't let Kim fool you with this act, she was ready for more hiking after we got back to the truck!

That is a view of the parking lot where our truck is from the top. Its not far away.

The lower falls at Helton Falls. What a fantastic view! The falls are not bad either.

A timer pic of us at the falls.

A timer pic from the upper Helton falls.

DeSoto falls was nice too. A longer hike, which was cool, but we were not able to play on the rocks at the bottom of the falls. Way too dangerous to bypass the boardwalk there.

And much to Kim's pleasure, I managed to get the truck stuck in some clay a few miles from our cabin!

Yes, it's 2-wheel drive. And I didn't bury it or anything, but it wouldn't come out of this slick clay. If I had walked it first, I would not have driven in there. WTF was I thinking?

As I finished letting the air out of the back tires (15psi) a local pulled up and offered to pull me out. I swear, I had it under control and this dude made me look like a fool! Thanks man!

We were both glad to see the gentleman, whose name escapes me now.

Hope you enjoyed our little report, we have tons more pics but these are the best of them. We plan to get back to the mountains soon, one way or another. And thanks to Baldy, for providing this great resource to all of us for free!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,855

Glad to see y'all had fun
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,490
Fantastic! Big smiles. Big sky. Great greenery. Good times. What else is there?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,845
Great pics and ride report. Not bad for a couple of "flatlanders". Come back up to the N GA mountains and ride with us anytime.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,014
Nice pics PK & Kim!

Looks like y'all had a great time.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
HuckFarley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Nice to get out of the sandbox and have traction and steering ain't it! Did you have Cheng Shin's on your Tahoe?
HuckFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,323
Great ride report from God's Country--I hope to be riding N GA this summer myself

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,202
Excellent report! I'll bet a bunch of those pictures get framed!

Hope to see you two at SF III
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
Fantastic! Big smiles. Big sky. Great greenery. Good times. What else is there?
Can't think of a thing!
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,551
Fantastic!! Can't ask for anything else!! Lucky couple Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Great RR...........

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 304
Thank yourselves that you did not hike Jack's Knob at Brasstown Bald. It kicks your butt. Cheers to a great trip.

Jerry
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,770
I am pretty certain that is what we hiked. They have a shuttle that takes you to the top during season, but there was no one around so we hiked it up! That is the longest .6 mile walk I have ever been on.

Thanks for all the positive comments, we are planning to see some of you fine folks in Pensacola next month for SF III!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 304
No, You hiked up to the observation tower. Hard but not too bad. Jacks knob is a ball buster. About 7 miles up and down that damn hill. One of the hardest physical challenges I have done. We had to maintain a tremendous pace to alow us to make it back to the car before dark. My poor wife was a trooper and not mad at me for my poor planning.

I promise you, you would remember that hike. I am off to NC for Yanni's ride at the end of the month, the AA300. I cannot wait. Take care and hope to get up your way again sooner than later. All the best.

Jerry
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote