Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
2 days on the outer banks

[IMG][/IMG]

My wife Roxanne and I have been working on getting our bikes ready for a run at the TAT. We had planned to do three weeks on the TAT at the beginning of summer but a family illness has delayed our trip. She has an 07 DR 650, mine is an 07 XR 650L. We trucked the bikes to the coast this weekend to ride the outer banks from Wards Creek, near Moorehead City, up the Outer Banks and then back on an inland route. This is the first time I have plotted a route on the GPS and followed it.
[IMG][/IMG]
We started at her father's place on Wards Creek. He is retired and now is a working commercial fisherman. He sets flounder gill nets and crab traps. He ties his own nets which he learned from his father and passed on to me. He helped me get my commercial license and I hope to retire to the coast and fish. That's one of his boats with the net reel on the other side of the pier.
[IMG][/IMG]
We left going up hwy 70 towards the Cedar Island Ferry. This is a flat mostly strait ride with beautiful scenery.
[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Morinite
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
Subscribed

Good luck folks, I'm subscribed and looking forward to the RR and pics.

Ride safe.

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]
This area is not heavily developed, yet. Still a lot of small fish houses along the route. This one was unloading crab traps as we passed.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The ride up 70 is scenic, water on both sides of the road in many places
[IMG][/IMG]
We got to the ferry a little early, the ticket girl had never seen dual sport bikes before and asked lots of questions.
[IMG][/IMG]
We waited in line with a Harley guy who was riding from Florida to Virginia beach.
[IMG][/IMG]
Then it was onto the ferry to Okrakoke. About 2 1/2 hours. Roxanne was afraid she would get sea sick but the ride was very smooth. No tie downs for the bikes, just chawk the wheels.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
14 miles to the next ferry. This one was smaller and we were advised to stay with the bikes. The ferry between the islands runs hourly.
[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
You can see how shallow the shoals can be here. This is taken from the ferry, just off to the side kids playing on a sand bar near the duck blind. No wonder this area is called the grave yard of the Atlantic.

deputygene screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 01:03 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There was a suprising amount of traffic on Hatteras.
[IMG][/IMG]
Long stretches of beach dotted with small beach towns.
[IMG][/IMG]
After the hours spent on the ferry's and riding we were starved and found this little sea food house with a great view of the bay. I forgot to take a picture of the place and can't remember the name.
[IMG][/IMG]
Catch of the day was Sheepshead, Roxanne ordered popcorn shrimp but got a plate of the larger Pamlico Shrimp instead.
[IMG][/IMG]
Then it was on up the beach looking for a place to camp. We checked out a bunch of smaller private campgrounds, but none of them felt right so we kept on moving.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
vertt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
After the hours spent on the ferry's and riding we were starved and found this little sea food house with a great view of the bay. I forgot to take a picture of the place and can't remember the name.[/IMG][/IMG]
Perhaps it was called the Fish House as the menu in the photo seems to read?
vertt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We made it to Oregon Inlet and camped out at the camp ground there. Great place, not crowded, campsites spread out. No electricity (not that we cared) shower houses with cold water. Fine with me after a long hot day. We found a camp site with a bit of shade and set up the tent.
[IMG][/IMG]
Nestled behind the beach dunes, I really liked this camp ground.
[IMG][/IMG]
View of our camp site.
[IMG][/IMG]
We are still gathering gear for the TAT and had decided on an earlier excursion that we needed something better to sleep on if we were going to camp a lot on the TAT. For this trip we tried out some new sleeping pads. A 2" Thermarest self-inflating pad for her, and a Big Agnes blow up matress for me. I liked the ease of using the Thermarest, however it is heavier and bulkier than the Big Agnes. Both were much more comfortable to sleep on than the closed cell foam pads we tried out on a previous trip.
[IMG][/IMG]
Also, we are trying out our new Garmin 60 CX. Ordered this from Costgo for $239.00 I think. A week after I ordered this I found out that Cabellas had 60 CSX bundle packs for $250.00 with a Topo CD. I ordered one of those too, but it is on backorder till late July. I did the route with Roads and Recreation in four segments. I had a computer problem after finishing the route and had to send my Tosheba L515 back in for warranty work after loading the routes. This would prove to be a little problem tomorrow.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertt
Perhaps it was called the Fish House as the menu in the photo seems to read?
Ha Ha, I noticed that after posting the pic, wondered if anyone would pick up on that.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
DCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for sharing the nice pics you got along the coast. Have fun.
DCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
dfishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
It is the Fish House.Pop's across the street has great burgers & Ice cold beer.Traffic is bad in July.Come back in the fall & enjoy a more peaceful island!
dfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
One of my favorite things to do when I visit the coast, is to find a seafood joint right on the water. There's just something about eating fresh seafood, on the water while the sun goes down.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
I love OBX, nice to see yinz guys enjoying it as well. My parents used to camp out at Hatteras before I was born. Been going there every year since I was a baby.

You're in the best part, Hatteras Island, further north its a lot more build up around Duck. Make sure you check out the dunes and the Wright Brother's Memorial.

Cheers.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
nantahala
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
We made it to Oregon Inlet and camped out at the camp ground there. Great place, not crowded, campsites spread out. No electricity (not that we cared) shower houses with cold water. Fine with me after a long hot day. We found a camp site with a bit of shade and set up the tent.
Nice! I was there on the bike Sunday morning around 9:20. Did a blonde girl check you in on Saturday - from the little building on the right side as you enter? The blonde is my niece and worked Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday morning/afternoon.

Frisco is a good NPS campground in the dunes also. OBX has a lot of neat stuff when you get away from the tourist spots. Even on a bike with straight and flat roads, it's pretty interesting. Looking forward to Sunday's ride report.
nantahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #15
deputygene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Climbed the dunes to check out the beach after getting camp set up
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I had read about Oregon Outlet but never have been here before. I know they go out striper fishing from here and would like to bring my boat up here sometime.