Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
stinkyrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Talking Pacific coast dualsport adventure

PACIFIC COAST DUAL SPORT ADVENTURE
Our adventure began on an early Saturday morning before sunrise with a 100 plus mile ride to Scuderia West in San Francisco where we would officially start the Central Coast ride. After a short meet and greet we were off for our adventure and before long we reached the scenic byway known as Hwy 1. This is where the scenic beauty started, warm weather, clear skies and no traffic, just a seamless flow of twist's and turns on possibly the most scenic coastal road in the United States. With the sun peeking through the clouds here and there, the shadows dramatically changed the way the ocean looked, and gave the water deep hue's of blue and green with a striking contrast between the light and shadows on the Pacific Ocean.

After completing the first leg of our scenic ride from San Francisco south we reached Monterey Bay which is home to one of the most interesting features of the Central Coast. The Monterey Canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the Pacific Ocean, this deep underwater canyon starts in Moss Landing which is located dead center on the Monterey Bay. This is where the ancient rivers millions of years ago flowed from the Sierra Nevada to the Pacific Ocean.

Now a days not a single river from the Sierra Nevada's, south of the San Joaquin river escapes to the Pacific Ocean. This geological change occurred when the San Andreas fault helped form the Diablo range in the Central Coast mountains. When the Diablo Range thrusted upward that was the end of the mighty rivers route that flowed from the Southern Sierra Nevada to the Monterey Canyon. So, any adventure rider traveling the Central Coast can see the significance of the Monterey Bay and it's outlying beauty in the surrounding area's.

A short distance beyond Monterey our off-road adventure began as we veered away from Hwy 1 and ventured onto the Old Coast road near Bixby bridge. This is where the off-road fun began, weaving our way through groves of old growth Redwoods and exploring ridge tops with panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. The views and vista's here are the reason why California will always be my home. Simply incredible, with the fingers of the marine layer coming in and out of coastal cracks and crevices down on the waters edge, and the sun peeking through the clouds just enough to keep the trial warm.

San Simeon would be our resting spot for the night with a steak dinner and a Roy Orbison impersonator playing the tunes plus a bottle of wine (courtesy of Bruce!) I was in nirvana after the days ride and slept remarkably well for a hotel bed, and woke up still hearing those Orbinson tunes in my head, and feeling sound for the ride back which would take us on a similar route but with a lot more dirt.

After a spectacular ride we found ourselves sitting in the Rio Flat's in Santa Cruz, where I was born and raised, which gave me a very existential feeling as this was also the one year anniversary of the passing of my mother. This is where she raised me, and I hadn't been in the flats since 1983. Wow, I couldn't believe nothing had changed here. It still looked the same as if I had never left. My mind was racing with emotions, and they were all good for once. I thought it would be painful to have lunch here. But no, I felt a sense of relief I had never felt before. I'm very lucky to be raised here, and the sense of peacefulness I felt, left me feeling very elated. This ride was one for the books for me. I miss you mom, thanks for giving me the opportunity to explore, and have empathy for all the wonderful people I've meet in this life. Thanks to you, "It's all about adventure!"

And a happy Mothers Day, to all the moms out there. Without you, we wouldn't be riding.

More photo's here if you like
http://snajoe.smugmug.com/SierraNeva...ST-DUAL-SPORT/

stinkyrider screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 11:19 AM
stinkyrider is offline   Reply With Quote