User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #91
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,611
Cry

i only remember one other thread that had me shedding tears and that due to personal tragedy.

this one did it on page 2.

Any of you ride along Little River Canyon on top of Sand Mtn? Know the church built into the side of a rock up there? I wandered in there one day and saw the 'memorial wall' where they honor all their pastors. There staring back at me was a portrait of my uncle Milton. Didn't even know he had served there... beautiful country...
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #92
Shaykon Qwinney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Been a long time Dave!

Thanks for taking us along with you again! Great stuff! I really enjoyed the info on Mary Gordon Duffee too. Keep it coming!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #93
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,460
Once I heard a person say that there were three deaths in a person's life.

The first was the day the person stopped living. The next was their funeral day. And the final day of death for a person is the last day someone speaks their name.

For some that last day will come fairly quickly after the other two. For most of us who have not been famous for some reason or made some world influencing mark in history, that day comes maybe 40 or 50 years after the other two.

If those things are so, then some of these folks in your report have had their final day delayed much longer because of you, David.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #94
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Thumb Ruffner

speaking of Ruffner Mtn. is now a city park of more than 1000 acres. My memories are hazy but I'm pretty sure there are some graves there.
I checked the brief Wiki and the Nature Center's own website - no mention of tombs/graves/cemetery/tombstones etc. Its sad but the place probably has fewer visitors now than it did when it was a defunct old holding of the mining company.

Alabama is peculiarly blessed from an ADV inmate's viewpoint. Whenever I fly into Birmingham airport, I"m amazed looking down at the wealth of dirt/churt/gravel roads all around the county and surrounding areas. I lived there a long time and road a bit but I bet I did not explore 2% of what's out there.

A lot of the magic comes from a land situation that is the reverse of Texas. Texas people are proud of the fact that 90%+ of all the land here is owned by private individuals/families and/or their trusts/estates. But that makes for lousy ADV because even county-funded roads are gated/locked... off-limits to riders. In 'bama, there are vast tracts of pristine woodland and ranges that are held by large corporate and utility interests: lumber, mining, and interestingly - Power companies [and water utilities to boot]. For a pittance one can get a recreational permit that gives you the run of the place on an annual basis. I have ridden thousands of miles in those places and never even asked ONCE for i.d. etc. I learned to hunt, fish, shoot, and ride on those blessed tracts of land.

So its a peculiar world: the media paint the picture of Evil Big Business being the arch-devil of the Environmental orgs, but the reality is otherwise. If Environmental groups owned all these zillion acres they would be off limits to folks like us. I do not abuse nature, I try to always leave it a little cleaner and better appreciated than when I entered.

So.... .... MORE! we want MORE!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #95
Ridge Rider
Blackbird/Ninja Rider

Oddometer: 26
RCB: Ruffner is a park of its own, and Red Mountain Park is another of over 1100 acres. Both have great riding trails, but are off limits to bike riders now. Both have lots of interesting places to photograph. More later, company coming. Wade
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #96
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
This thread has inspired me to do a report on a cemetery I discovered last weekend. It's not lost by any means, but it looked very interesting. Going back when it cools off, maybe November.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #97
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

I'm all in for cool.
its been around 105 here lately..... I like motorcycles, but....
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #98
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
i only remember one other thread that had me shedding tears and that due to personal tragedy.

this one did it on page 2.

Any of you ride along Little River Canyon on top of Sand Mtn? Know the church built into the side of a rock up there? I wandered in there one day and saw the 'memorial wall' where they honor all their pastors. There staring back at me was a portrait of my uncle Milton. Didn't even know he had served there... beautiful country...

Thank you Zapp22....

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #99
stewncissy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Very interesting! Love reading these!
stewncissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #100
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
me too
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #101
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewasi
Very interesting. I'm wondering if you had a squeeze bottle of water and sprayed the headstone face whether it would bring up the lettering and make the camera image easier to read.

I am told shaving cream and a squeegee work...
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #102
stewncissy
Adventurer

White chalk does wonders.........rub the stone with a chalk stick and the words come to life before your eyes. I've tried flour too, but chalk is much better!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #103
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Its kinder/gentler to drape paper across the stone and give it a rub with charcoal or other. Someone more artistic than I might explain better.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #104
stewncissy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Its kinder/gentler to drape paper across the stone and give it a rub with charcoal or other. Someone more artistic than I might explain better.
I see your point about being more gentle.......This from my GGG Grandfathers stone
Old 09-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #105
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Great tip guys. Thanks.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote