User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Greyhair OP
Greyhaired Traveler

Oddometer: 13
Question Doohickey for 2009 KLR

I have a new 2009 KLR 650, I have read a lot of threads on the need for a Doohickey upgrade. Is that still needed on a 2009 or has KAW made the mod themselves?
Greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Do it.

Kaw improved the doo lever somewhat. It's miles better than the old one, but still not as sturdy as EagleMike's.

They changed the spring, but now instead of breaking because it's too tight, it sits there loose, doing nothing.

You'd think, after 20 years and looking at Mike's work, they could get it right.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
my 09 had 3800 on it when I put eagle Mikes torsion spring on it.

My stock one was loose with no tension left......
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Greyhair OP
Greyhaired Traveler

KAW should just pay Mike

OK
I get it, I am new to the site but too many riders have said it for it not to be true. I will give Mike a call.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
oneblackdog
slowest of the slow

Oddometer: 172
Talking loose spring

G'day Greyhair

I too have read all the stories both here and on KLR specific forums

All I can ad is that I have an '08 and changed to doo at about 16,000km (10,000 miles) and found the spring had run out of spring - it was just sitting there letting the balancer chain bounce around. Replacing it allowed the chain to be brought back into tension - resulting in a lot less vibrations and mechanical noise

But what's going to happen to your bike? You'll ride the KLR a lot and enjoy it all, then you will put some oil in it and ride some more. The spring will run out of tension sooner rather than later, you'll replace it at a tech day somewhere, then keep riding and riding and riding.

Cheers

OBD
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
sorry not trying to hijack your thread but was just curious, did anyone else have a hard time with rotor being very tight when trying to remove it? I have a 09
Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
ah ya it can be difficult jusy need a inpact wrench if have one
Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhair
OK
I get it, I am new to the site but too many riders have said it for it not to be true. I will give Mike a call.
You, and your KLR, will be happier for having made that call. While you're on the phone with him get the four bolt subframe upgrade kit. It's less than $10 IIRC.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Greyhair OP
Greyhaired Traveler

Question tech days

How and where are these announced. I live in Pasadena CA and would like to know if anyone is planning one soon in my area. It would be great to get some assistance with the doo project. I have watched the videos on youtube and read some of the difficult times some people have had. An experienced hand would be helpful. I would want to do my own work just have someone there in case I got in too deep.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left

Your best bet would be to host one. Amazing how far people will come for free beer!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
ah ya it can be difficult jusy need a inpact wrench if have one

Thanks I was a little scared to use a impact. I was afraid I may strip the rotor threads and then I would be screwed. I heard a few other people say the same.I may give it a try. Thanks for the info
Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
bricaud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Just finished my doo last night. Eagle Mike's directions were really clear once I got going. I'm really not sure why I was so scared of doing this myself. if you go slow and follow the directions it will go just fine. At a few points during the ordeal i did get ahead of the directions and found that I needed to make sure and read everything prior to each step. i have an '09 with 3100 miles on the clock. The stock doohickey was in perfect condition but the stock spring had no tension left in it. I opted for the torsion spring and after a few failed attempts and a couple bloody knuckles, I sat back on my 5 gal. bucket finished my hefeweizen and stared at it. Using two flat screw drivers, one small and one large it was finally able to get it in.

The result: unknown!

After buttoning up the case and torqing everything down, I went to change out the oil filter and put in a new magnetic plug and found that the bonehead at the dealership sold me the wrong size of both. Filter is about 1-1/2" to large in diameter and the plug is about 1/4" too small.

In addition, I noticed that one of my sub frame bolts is missing from the left side, just beside the passenger foot peg. I'm supposed to be heading out camping this weekend with a buddy to a local ORV (Tahuya) park close to Seattle, but unless the stars align i might be SOL. I just hope i can get the right size filter and a replacement bolt so i can head out and enjoy the first 70 degree weekend in seattle
bricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
colinsonic
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 34
Doin the Doo . . .

Hello,
I have been on the fence about doing this fix, I live pretty close to Pasadena and I ride an 08 KLR. If you want to get together and have crack a this thing I would be up for it.
Two heads may be better than one

And if it all goes horribly wrong we could always use one of the bikes for scrap

Let me know

Cheers,
Colin
colinsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
I have an 08 and drank the coolaid with everyone else and replaced the doo. I had 10,200 miles on the bike and never adjusted the doo. Nobody ever post how the doo works and how the spring breaks so I analized everything closely when I took it apart. Everything was fine and I believe I wasted my money and time. I posted this comment before and Eagle Mike responded and called me everything but a gentleman but never addressed what I said so I guess I'll be attacked personally again, but here is what I found.

The doo is actually the balancer chain tension adjuster. Its sole purpose of it is to keep the proper amount of tension on the chain so there is not too much slack or too tight. The spring puts the proper tension on the adjuster and the doo locks it into place. There is a cam with a lever. The extension spring attaches to the lever on one end and a post on the case on the other. The doo has a slot that a shouldered bolt goes through. You loosen the bolt, the spring pulls on the lever to push the tightener against the chain. Then you tighten the bolt and lock the doo in place. The spring is in a static position because everything is locked into place by the shouldered bolt going through the doo. The spring never moves again until the shouldered bolt is loosened.

Look in the owners manual for the 08+ models and there is no mention of adjusting the balancer chain. The shop manual says to adjust it every 7500 miles. The adjustment is to simply back off the shouldered bolt, the spring will put the proper amount of tension on the chain, and then you tighten the bolt to 78 inch pounds.

I'm guessing that Kawa doesn't mention the tensioner adjustment in the owners manual because most guys don't have a torque wrench, especially one that measures inch pounds. Have you ever know a guy to under tighten a bolt? That was the problem with the pre 08. Guys would over tighten the bolt, which flexed the doo and caused it to break. The original doo was barely adequate.

I closely compared the stock doo on my 08 and the quality is every bit as good as the after market one. I've heard all the stories about the spring being stretched out and I don't buy that. The spring is in a static position. It isn't moving. It is locked into place by the doo. Extension springs have been used for years in lots of applications, from holding brake shoes away from drums to keeping your screen door clossed. Did you ever have the spring to your screen door just break sitting there? It might have if it was extended too far or bent out of axis, but they never break when locked within their working design. The only way it can break on the doo is if the doo bolt comes loose so the lever the spring attaches to moves back and forth with chain slap and extends it beyond its working length.

The stock spring is made from a lot thicker material than the after market ones. Therefore it doesn't need to be extended as far to get the correct amount of tension. I suspect that because it isn't extended as far as the after market ones that guys suspect that it isn't working right because they have been told that by the ones that are handing out the coolaid.

OK Eagle Mike. Are you going to attack me personally again or are you going to explain how a spring locked within its working range just breaks or stretches out?
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
JeffD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt
I have an 08 and drank the coolaid with everyone else and replaced the doo. I had 10,200 miles on the bike and never adjusted the doo. Nobody ever post how the doo works and how the spring breaks so I analized everything closely when I took it apart. Everything was fine and I believe I wasted my money and time. I posted this comment before and Eagle Mike responded and called me everything but a gentleman but never addressed what I said so I guess I'll be attacked personally again, but here is what I found.

The doo is actually the balancer chain tension adjuster. Its sole purpose of it is to keep the proper amount of tension on the chain so there is not too much slack or too tight. The spring puts the proper tension on the adjuster and the doo locks it into place. There is a cam with a lever. The extension spring attaches to the lever on one end and a post on the case on the other. The doo has a slot that a shouldered bolt goes through. You loosen the bolt, the spring pulls on the lever to push the tightener against the chain. Then you tighten the bolt and lock the doo in place. The spring is in a static position because everything is locked into place by the shouldered bolt going through the doo. The spring never moves again until the shouldered bolt is loosened.

Look in the owners manual for the 08+ models and there is no mention of adjusting the balancer chain. The shop manual says to adjust it every 7500 miles. The adjustment is to simply back off the shouldered bolt, the spring will put the proper amount of tension on the chain, and then you tighten the bolt to 78 inch pounds.

I'm guessing that Kawa doesn't mention the tensioner adjustment in the owners manual because most guys don't have a torque wrench, especially one that measures inch pounds. Have you ever know a guy to under tighten a bolt? That was the problem with the pre 08. Guys would over tighten the bolt, which flexed the doo and caused it to break. The original doo was barely adequate.

I closely compared the stock doo on my 08 and the quality is every bit as good as the after market one. I've heard all the stories about the spring being stretched out and I don't buy that. The spring is in a static position. It isn't moving. It is locked into place by the doo. Extension springs have been used for years in lots of applications, from holding brake shoes away from drums to keeping your screen door clossed. Did you ever have the spring to your screen door just break sitting there? It might have if it was extended too far or bent out of axis, but they never break when locked within their working design. The only way it can break on the doo is if the doo bolt comes loose so the lever the spring attaches to moves back and forth with chain slap and extends it beyond its working length.

The stock spring is made from a lot thicker material than the after market ones. Therefore it doesn't need to be extended as far to get the correct amount of tension. I suspect that because it isn't extended as far as the after market ones that guys suspect that it isn't working right because they have been told that by the ones that are handing out the coolaid.

OK Eagle Mike. Are you going to attack me personally again or are you going to explain how a spring locked within its working range just breaks or stretches out?
I gotta say I agree with this. Everyone is asking if I am going to do the doo and I say nope. Nor the thermobob. There are some worthy upgrades for the new KLR's but I aint drinking the coolaid just yet. Before the invention of the internet (thanks al gore not) I bet very few people had failures.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote