User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Spain- Catalunya & Aragon Gravel Rash

First try at a ride report, and will update as we go along. Might go quiet if we can't get online though.

Purpose of the 3 or so weeks is to shake down the bikes and fine tune the set up ready for a few longer trips in the next couple of years.

Isabelle on an F800 and I on an R1200 will be joined by Mark on a new (to him) 1150 Adv as far as Zaragoza where he'll be peeling off to see his folks in the South.

We are heading to Plymouth and the Ferry to Spain on the 15th of Dec. Followed by a couple of nights in Logrono (to sample the Rioja!!) then staying around the Ebre valley round Tortosa for a while.

Finalised the packing today and gave both bikes one last look over:

It gets a bit cramped in the workshop with both bikes panniered up:

A final check and I come across a serious molding blister in the front tyre of Isabelle's F800. Damn it. Its only got 100 miles on it, I don't really have time to sort this. Back to the supplier Monday to get another one in time to leave Tuesday morning (I hope):

Photobucket

No doubt it'll be a warranty claim... (fingers crossed)

jp-speed-triple screwed with this post 12-12-2010 at 10:46 PM
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
This is going to be good A defective tyre with only a 100 miles should be warrantied.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

New tyre ordered under warranty...will arrive around 10am tomorrow. will put us a couple of hours behind schedule.

We then have a 6 hour ride to the ferry and the weather is already back down to 2 degrees C.

its 19 degrees and sunny in Spain though!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Hi JP
Lancaster ehh...............i spent my first 44 years in the Carnforth / Warton area moved out here 6 years ago.
I know we're supposed to be tough up north but its -4 here today and getting colder as up go over the pyennes !!!!!! hats of to you mate .... if you'er passing Souillac or Gourdon just off the A20 i'm not far off, so call in for a hot brew if you like.
I'll PM you my moby
Phil
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Waiting for the ride

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Apologies! Techno issues with photo bucket and I pads....will write it up when we get back.

jp-speed-triple screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 11:52 AM
Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
tortugo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Joan!!! Quina alegria llegir-te!!! ;)

Keep on writing!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

The trip to Plymouth.

Not the Ideal way to start a 7 hour ride!

Tyre has been returend to Continental for inspection. the garage were decidedly sneaky in not telling us they were charging us for the repalcement pending the report results. They waited till the tyre was on then decided to tell us how it was going to work. needless to say, words were exchanged! [more to come on teh tyre saga when I get the report back]
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

And so....to Spain.

We managed to escape the worst of the Uk weather as it chased us south to Plymouth. Although, if you'd asked us at the time, we might have said we were in it.

Martin, A chap we met en-route had follwed behind us the same day and had snow all the way down.

We made the Hotel, Mexican meal [sorry no food shots], beers and caught up with some long lost mates from our Scuba days.

We woke up to bright skies and freezing temps. Lovely day.

Aftermath of a trip down a UK motorway, at no other point in the trip did the bikes end up this filthy.

Gotta love ACF-50, it dropped straight off with a wash in Spain a week later.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

We used Britany Ferries 'Pont Aven' vessel out of Plymouth to Santander.

The crossing was impecable, no wind, no chop, little swell....ideal.

The facilities were very good as was the food [again, sorry, no food shots], the cabins however:

I did enjoy going outside evertime I wanted to turn around!

We settled into the crossing, ate, drank and did some essential planning

but soon enough the urge to ride came upon us once more

Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

On Landing we took the A8 towards Bilbao, but cut off into the hills on a bit of a whim when we saw a 'B' road option to Logrono. (the 629 and 232)

Led us into the hills and our first snowy scene.

we hit Logrono just after dusk and checked into the F&G hotel. what a pleasent surprise. booked in the web some weeks previously as we wanted a first night destination. Not quite what we'd expected for 50 Euro!

Turns out to be a very modern hotel that's been built in the wrong part of town, ahead of a 13 million euro refurbishment of the old sector. Looks like they built it too soon.....anyway. worked for us. Great place and secure parking.

Logrono is the capital of the Rioja region, we we had to head out to check out the local sights.

I'd recommend anyone visit this great historic centre. Its well placed for a stop over to or from the ferry.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Now then....this is why we came.

We left mark in Zaragoza as he was heading south to Malaga. We broke off into the gravel at Bujaraloz heading south for Sastago and this is what we got!

On the Ebro near Sastago.

On the plains south of Bujaraloz. We couldn't belive the number of broad, hard packed gravel roads that criss cross this area. you could spend two days in the areas South that we crossed.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

A trip to Rueda.

Just to the North of Sastago is a fabulously maintained and restored monestary (Rueda). We got there before it opened by chance and got let in by the guide as he turned up. WHAT a place. go when its quiet, but go.

Some (of many) pics.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

from there it was a gravel dash to Mora De Ebra where we'd booked an apartment for the week.

With more planning and a bit more reckie riding I think you could easily ride from Logrono to Mora without any tarmac. We didn't have time to do this, so cut some sections out. Still, we got some good stuff:

The locals knew we were coming and had prepared a small dance in our honour

So far we'd crossed mountains on B roods, hit some flat land rocky desert south of Bujaraloz, ridden in River valleys along the Ebro in Sastago. We then hit winding hilly trails that were still very open as we headed East. Pretty varied and all very ridable on heavy GS bikes. The Monegros and Terra Alta regions seems Ideal for rolling about, big views and fast gravel roads.

jp-speed-triple screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 06:52 AM
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Things change East of Terra Alta. The terrain becomes more complex, higher passes, deeper valleys, more water and crucially more cultivation. This changed the character of the riding totally and makes it MUCH harder planning and executing.

We used a combination of Michelin Regional mapping at 1:400,000 for orientation and scaling, but worked with 1:50,000 topo maps produced by the icc in Catalunya. http://www.icc.cat its as good as it gets, but given the intervention by cultivation and terracing, its not that reliable.

The mapping is more reliable to the west in Terra Alta (produced by the ICC).

On the whole the Ribera D'Ebra region, with planned (and reckied) routes is easily enjoyable on a GS but is challenging terrain. Without, you experience a LOT of blind routes, turn arounds, terracing where there is a marked route and so on. This makes it really hard work and tough to link A to B routes together. Take a smaller bike, or only use known routes.

Lots of deep gullys

And trails to nowhere