1991 Royal Enfield Bullet - sold
2002 Suzuki Fiero
akshaymurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,211
We made it to Iceland

Thanks IcelandicDreamer! We love Iceland and enjoy every minute here. Your advice about checking the weather is very timely as you'll soon see.

Kim and Mike
2touringtheworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #18
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

We arrived in Iceland to our first sights @ about 23:30 local time, breaking out of an overcast at about 1000'

Remember, this is about 23:30 in the evening and it's early June!

We land and clear Customs with no drama and proceed to baggage claim. Man the place was jumping:

And after a long day, I could swear that that chick on the other side of the baggage belt with the twirly hair was trying to knick our bags!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

We get going

By the time we get our bags and get outside, it's well past midnight local time and Kim is hungry and there's no restaurants open. So Kim decides to make the best of it and stop in the convenience store in the airport to grab a smorgasbord of sorts. Apple, Ritz crackers, ham, donut, caroway seed bagel, Coke Lite and lemon flavored water. There you have it, one ready made Everest ascent survival kit for Rastfarian mountain climbers.

So we grab our bags and nutritious Rasta Mount Everest meal plan and head to the taxi stand to get a ride to the hotel. There are a bunch of people there waiting for taxis. Four taxis show up and what do you know, there are four groups of people. One taxi short for Kim and Mike. Oh well, we can wait. And wait. And wait... where we are joined by an Asian family and their two young children.

While we are waiting, I got to check out these pretty cool sculptures. I'm not sure what they represent, but they are pretty cool.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The Taxi

Finally a taxi comes screaming into the parking lot past the taxi stand. The Asian guy is waving, the taxi is screaming past. The Asian guy is running, and the taxi is going. Finally the taxi stops. Not in the taxi stand. The Asian guy says in English that "we" (meaining all of us, bless his heart) need a taxi."

The Icelandic taxi driver says something to him in Icelandic that none of could understand (probably something sensible like, I'm off the job and I'm here to pick up my family, that's why I'm not in the taxi stand dummy!) He looks at all of us and gives us his best, come on I'll give you a break look and puts us in the taxi.

From this point on, things are kind of a blur. It is a short ride to the hotel from the airport, but it was made even shorter by our taxi driver friend. I'm sure that the brakes were on fire, the engine was boiling over and the speedometer pegged with no possibility of ever moving off of whatever number the peg limits. None the less we arrive safe and sound and mucho pronto!

Now this is the truth. I got out of the cab, paid the man and quickly attempted to get my camera out of my pocket and take a picture for you guys. But before I could focus and snap a pic, he was gone. Sort of like an Icelandic Lone Ranger. I didn't even have time to thank the man! So whoever you are taxi driver, Kim and Mike thank you for geting us to the hotel after a long day!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Let's get this show on the road

We awakened to a bit of a chill with overcast and grey skies. We were non the worse for wear, we are on vacation. We had checked the weather and there were chances of showers but nothing dramatic. Hmmm.... perhaps I should have checked a little closer...?

Anyway, we stopped at Haddi's place (www.BikingViking.is) and picked up our two Yamaha XT660R rentals.

I have absolutely no clue why these bikes are not available in the US. The are great machines. Haddi merged his company with another and he now has 22 machines including BMW G650GS twins if you so desire. Haddi always has treated us royally so if you need a machine, give him a call.

Then it was off to do a bit of exploring.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Things get interesting

We were riding merrily along the way enjoying ourselves and the lack of traffic and the beautiful scenery

and flowers

All was good until the wind started to come up. Not to much at first, but then it started to come up big.

It was windy, the kind of windy that moved your bike around quite a bit when you were on the pavement.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

As we rode further, we found some beautiful waterfalls. Sort of...

As we approached the first one from the distance we could tell something was different. Clouds moving across the top of a ridgeline? No. No, it couldn't be could it? Could it be water being flung back UP THE WATERFALL AND OVER THE TOP?

The video of this will go right here.

Here are some pics of some of the other waterfalls that the water could actuall fall from. But you'll notice that the water is heavily shredded by the time it leaves the top. Believe me, the pics don't do the scene justice.

Finally, check this out. See the mountain in the background on the left, we foolishly decided to go over it. Not a good idea.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
I gotta see this! LOL!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #25
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The WaterUp

Here's the video of the WaterUp. Hard to believe that the water falls up but it does. Here you go!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 06:45 PM
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Sorry for making you all wait.

Sorry for making you all wait, but our mountain wave adventure and intermittant connectivity have been a problem. We have loads of pictures and some pretty good video for you all. However, we have two problems.

1. Video eats up lots of bandwidth and with the slow connectivity, it takes hours to upload and it has crashed on multiple ocassions during upload.

2. The only way I can get a video hosted on Vimeo to work on RDS is the conventional method which causes two video frames to appear on RDS. I apologize to everyone for this, especially Patrice! I have tried all the methods and it just will not work. However, the video is good enough that I think its worthwhile posting.

More soon!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The Mountain Wave (and we don't mean hi!)

So after viewing the waterup, we carelessly headed over the mountain (I'm not proud of this). It was windy with some gusts, but nothing spectacular. However, as we crested the mountain and got onto the gravel, something happened.

A very sudden, steady crosswind hit. The kind of tractor trailer wind blast that hits you on a single lane highway, except this one didn't stop. I'd guess it was more than 50+ MPH. Kim almost immediately had to stop. I was in an almost full hanging off racer crouch trying to keep the bike on the gravel road. Kim put both feet down and tried to hold the bike up but in the end the wind was too much. It blew the bike and her over. I was able to get my bike into the lee of a small hill and ran over to Kim to pick up her bike and ride it next to mine.

There was no way Kim was going to be able to ride her bike down the mountain. We had ridden this gravel road before and there are several areas with sheer dropoffs. The only thing we could do was to have me ride her bike down a bit and hope to get out of the heavy wind and then have me walk back up to get my bike. Well it was a plan at least.

After abandoning my bike and riding Kim's bike about 1/2 a mile with her steadily marching behind it became clear that the wind was not going to stop. In fact it got worse. We were near a mountain top lake and it was covered in whitecaps. I would have taken some pics, but I needed both hands to hold onto the bike and frankly this wasn't the time for one. I asked Kim if she would get on the back for a ride down and she decided that she didn't want to. So the best I could do was suggest that I ride her bike down looking for some calmer air and then walk back up or find someone to give her a ride down in a car or me up in a car once I reached the bottom.

Just when you think things can't get worse. As I was riding her bike down, things changed. It started to rain. A LOT. SIDEWAYS.

Ultimately that's what we did though. She got a ride to the bottom and I rode her bike to the bottom. I got a ride back to my bike and I had to open the door 3 times against the wind blast just to get out. It was like a horror show. What was a 5 minute ride down took me more than a half hour to do, most of the time racer hanging off to get the bike to stay on the road.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Getting off the mountain

Sad to say, I did not get a single pic of all of this for all of you. I was busy trying to stay on the mountain. But as a small measure of consequence, here's a pic looking back up at the mountain from the bottom.

See the beautiful mountain in the background?

Oh and here's the beautiful ocean just behind Kim's parked bike at the bottom of the mountain. I thought oceans are supposed to be blue, not beige.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #29
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The rescue

At this point we were still 15 miles from our hotel and there was no way we could ride there. Even though there was pavement from this point on, the wind was still very high and the rain driving. I tried to call the hotel to see if there was a taxi service etc. that could pick us up given the circumstances. While I was on the phone, a car stopped and the couple inside told us that we could park our bikes at their friends house next door, and they would take us to the hotel, and to top it off, take us back to the bikes tomorrow!

I am again amazed at the kindness of the Icelandic people! Garin and his wife were our Icelandic angels and really saved us. We really we can't thank them enough. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have taken a picture of the both of them, but a picture of Garin's wife will have to suffice.

There she goes, our Icelandic angel...

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #30
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The Silver Lining

So what does that mountain that we crossed look like really? Here it is the next day in all it's glory when we went to pick up our bikes.

If you look closely in the background, you can see the gravel road we took coming down the mountain. It really is beautiful it good weather.