Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
palla62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
[italy] 4 Days, From Milan To Umbria

Saturday May 1st , departure from Milan
tit is a sunny day partially cloudy; we take the highway in Florence direction.
In a pair of boring hours we reach Rioveggio and finally we leave the highway
We enjoy to cross the Appennines: Raticosa pass, Giogo di Scarperia pass and Muraglione pass between they from a spectacular asphalt snake.

After they we go around the Falterona National Park and head, on the E45, then Sansepolcro, Arezzo (where I made the military service in far away 80's) and then Cortona in Val di Chiana, surrounded from the rests Etruscans walls.

Left it we reach, for the deserved rest, Passignano on the Trasimeno Lake http://www.villamartis.it/villamartis.html. 25,00 € each person
approx 560 km

Sunday May 2nd
the morning wake up us with an annoying little rain.
Worn the waterproof we reach, after few km, Castiglione del Lago, pretty medieval town who dominates the Trasimeno Lake.

The rain stops and we are riding again, direction south.
Closed, Città della Pieve with its completely stones houses, Ficulle and lunch stop to Orvieto, famous for the rose window of its Duomo church.

change of route towards east and we arrive to Todi that we decide to visit only crossing it in motion, cause delay on the fixed program.

Again to south and, passing from S. Gemini and Terni, we stop to Marmore Falls, the higher European falls.
Very beautiful the road starting from Papigno to Marmore, where it can be possible see to raise itself a cloud of steam from the forest due to the the water mass that break itself to the ground in first of the 3 jumps.
The visit of cascades costs 5 €uro per person and is for the upper and lower sight.

Finished the visit we resume the trip covering the Val Nerina until Cerreto di Spoleto, having newly to south towards Cascia that we avoid to visit, only a small break; we leave again newly towards Norcia.

Walk in city and go to the next destination: Castelluccio di Norcia.
After few km we leave SS 685 towards Forche Canapine Pass, almost on the top we turn left for Castelluccio and reache the top an amazing view filled our eyes: a large hollow surrounded by hills lacking in any form of civilization; only lights the lampposts of the village that rises from the homonymous plateau.
A fable landscape!

B&B http://www.lavalledelleaquile.com/ night's passing 50 Euros pp
Restaurant http://www.tavernacastelluccio.it/it...ristorante.asp supper territorial kitchen 35 Euros pp
c.a 300 km

3 mondays May
finally some sun flare rips the grey of clouds!
We are newly riding and we direct towards the Marche region, towards the Lake of Fiastra in order to see the Lame Rosse (Red Blades): an erosion phenomenon unknowed to many local inhabitants.
The road insinuated itself in the unurbanized and natural panorama of the Park of Sibillini Mounts.
We pass from the Sanctuary of Macereto, maximum expression of the '500 Marche region Renaissance architecture and reach therefore Fiastra.

I document myself a little and then I follow the indications that learned: “The Red Blades an extraordinary beauty of the Sibillini Mounts you can admire! covering the # 335 path begins from the Fiastra dike, could reached in the simplest way. Often big efforts needed to view most of “Natural phenomenon” … but always there is the exception that confirmation the rule. Approximately a scant hour of relaxant walk ...........”;
First wrong I will notice then that path #335 is in reality #336 but it is not all!
We cover the first gravel step with some difficulties due to the cargo and the 2 people aboard
After 10 minutes driving we left the bike and we continue by foot. The first part of the path, in spite of the information, is quiet steep ( we are not trekkers) and with moving stones; After an hour walking, no trace of the Blades! Tired from the grumble of my wife to my shoulders, I've chaptered! Walk Aborted!
I had read after that in a brochure probably more specifies that the walk need abt 2 hours!

We go now to Assisi direction.
Coasting the Polverina Lake, Serravalle in Chienti and once passed the regional border between Marche and Umbria we stop to Colfiorito in a most likeable restaurant with exquisite territorial homemade kitchen: La Botteguccia dei vecchi sapori (the little village store's oldest taste) (N43.01716 and 12,53424); a bottle of wine is due!
Go ahed!
We pass by Foligno till Spello. Aone of the most beautiful little medieval village I never seen! wonderful!
A walk is due!

We leave reluctantly Spello, we feed the way for Collepino and here we record the lonly negative episode of our tour.
On the upward tight road we decide to take a photo between the poppies; I stop and meanwhile I make an U reversal, PATAPAM! All down for earth!
A beautiful blow, even if practically stopped!
I land and after a turn I rise to me completely unharmed; I still turn and I see my wife under the bike!
Rise hardly the colossus and she seems ok! She is more scared that pain http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=7! At first sight only a shot to the calf and to the foot.
We resume ourselves for some minute, we make the photo to the “fucking poppies” and go ahed.

To San Silvestro we feed the gravel road that it carries on top of the Subasio mount, where we enjoyed a beautiful panorama.
The gravel is very compact and easy to drive and seems veri vaguely Pekes Peak.

We go down to Assisi; what to say? An amazing village full of religion visited by rivers of tourists.
The Basilica of S. Francesco is revamped perfectly, after the '97 earthquake.

Finished the visit we continue for the last stage of the day: Perugia.

The evening is concluded with a peak from removes, Voltaren and synthetic ice for my wife who is no more able to move a step due to the pain.
We spend the night in a two stars (cadeau!) alberghetto proceeds from 2 apartments in a '400 building that I only signal to you for its central location and for its cost of 35 € pp http://www.albergoanna.it/anna.html

c.a 300 km

4 tuesdays May
The morning beginns with a first good news: the ice bombing and the Voltaren has made their job! Madame can walk!
Last day. A lot of km waits us to arriving home!
First stage Gubbio.
Arriving we are received by the beautiful sight of the rests of the roman amphitheater and following the way to the upper part of the city that dominate from the hill, from the Consuls Palace terrace sight on the flat one.

The successive stage previews a new pauses to Urbino, passing from Schegge and Pascelupo.
Fatigue begins and we visit it very fast the town and we leave again to our last stage: San Marino Republic.
We reach the Titano's city crossing Gadana, Casinina and Mercatino Conca in the Marche territory.
The visit, during which also we have been able to follow the training of a crossbowman, is interrupted by a thunderstorm that forced us to resume the way of the return.

The bad weather will bring us till the highway end (app. 350 km), with features where the visibility is near zero for the violence of the heavy showers.

We are to house a little bathed but happy for what the the wild, the art and the history, of our territories have offered to us.
Only regret: we have not been able to assist to the natural flowers painting of the Castelluccio plateau, that it would have to be to june and July.

27 Hours riding
1549 km

1st stage
MILANO
RIOVEGGIO
SAN BENEDETTO VAL DI SAMBRO
CASTELDELL'ALPI
LA CA'
PASSO RATICOSA
FIRENZUOLA
SCARPERIA
BORGO SAN LORENZO
DICOMANO
SAN GODENZO
ROCCA SAN CASCIANO
STRADA SAN ZENO
GALEATA
SANTA SOFIA
SAN PIERO IN BAGNO
SANSEPOLCRO
AREZZO
CORTONA
CASTIGLIONE DEL LAGO

2nd stage
MONTELEONE
FICULLE
ORVIETO
TODI
TERNI
CASCATE DELLE MARMORE
CASCIA
NORCIA
CASTELLUCCIO

3rd stage
LAGO DI FIASTRA (LAME ROSSE)
SPOLETO
FOLIGNO
SPELLO
SAN SILVESTRO / COLLEPINO (Eremo delle Carceri-Monte Subasio)
ARMENZANO
ASSISI
PERUGIA

4th stage
GUALDO TADINO
GUBBIO
SCHEGGE E PASCELUPO
URBINO
SAN MARINO
MILANO

palla62 screwed with this post 05-13-2010 at 01:17 PM
palla62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
MelonMan
Adventurer

Spectacular photos! I am waiting to see if I receive a teaching offer in Naples. I would love to spend my weekends exploring the beautiful Italian countryside.
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Hard to imagine I grew up there and learned to ride in Umbria. The more I travel the more I learn how lucky I was.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
WildSte
Orienteering Runner

Oddometer: 75
Nice ride!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Great trip you had. That's what I like in Italia. Great roads and great towns, with history. Always something to learn. Always beauty around the corner.
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
palla62 OP
Adventurer

update:
my wife today after 10 days from we have fallen!

palla62 screwed with this post 05-13-2010 at 01:05 PM
Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
palla62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonMan
Spectacular photos! I am waiting to see if I receive a teaching offer in Naples. I would love to spend my weekends exploring the beautiful Italian countryside.
no problem when you'll be around Milan!

ps:Please don't forget to bring with you ..... your avatar!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Very nice report, excellent scenery but so sorry about the fall and your wife's injury! Hope that won't stop future trips with her. Get well soon!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
The 'G' Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Ciao,

Great report and photos, thanks.

I am riding down to Pisa later this year for the first time...and then heading off to the Stelvio and beyond..

Italia Looks beautiful!!

I Hope your Lady feels better soon.

Thank you
The 'G' Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Magnificent trip and pics.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,553
Beautiful Italy!! You can't take a bad picture in Italia! Mille grazie davvero.. Enjoyed your pics and ride.. well, except for your wife's leg..

More pics please

Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #13
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,235
I need more motivation like this. Now if Stelvio would just be passable...

Very nice report and pics.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Enjoyed the ride report, hope the wife`s leg heals quickly............

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
palla62 OP
Adventurer

Cortona view

ORVIETO

my wife and ......... me!!!

CASTELLUCCIO and its lentils cultivations

...... TO BE CONTINUED