Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Once I take the time to order and install some crash bars and a set of Dunlops, I will go back and finish off the road, although I think I will start from the other direction this time. I was going to replicate the shot you posted in the "post any pic" thread. It was just a lot wetter and muddier than the last time I was out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Thanks for the report! I can attest that it does indeed get a little nasty toward the Blackwater Falls Park end of the Canaan Loop. That part makes me very thankful for a small thumper.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 503
Looks awesome. I used to snow ski in that area (Timberline resort) and always wondered what the roads would be like for some Adventure touring. By the way, I noticed a 2112 sticker on your bike. Rush fan???

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunsett
Looks awesome. I used to snow ski in that area (Timberline resort) and always wondered what the roads would be like for some Adventure touring. By the way, I noticed a 2112 sticker on your bike. Rush fan???
I discovered the area twenty years ago as a mountain biker and climber. I always spend part of my year playing out there to this day. Took my wife there on our first overnighter when we were dating and she fell in love with the area as well.

Been a Rush fanatic since 1976. 2112 was my first album and I love every thing they have ever recorded. I am the oddball fan that loves all eras of the band, from Working Man to Workin Them Angels...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
Thumb Nice lunch indeed!

My brother Mike and I had lunch there two weeks ago...we rolled into town about noon on a not very pleasant day...other than the riding of course! Virtually everything was closed but Sirianni's and did it hit the spot and just in time...we will return.

Excellent...Thanks...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Nice RR!

Thanks, it brought back memories:

(Crappy scan of a print from grainy 800 ASA film)
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo
I discovered the area twenty years ago as a mountain biker and climber. I always spend part of my year playing out there to this day. Took my wife there on our first overnighter when we were dating and she fell in love with the area as well.

Been a Rush fanatic since 1976. 2112 was my first album and I love every thing they have ever recorded. I am the oddball fan that loves all eras of the band, from Working Man to Workin Them Angels...
I also got hooked on Rush in 1976. I was in 8th grade then, and have been a fanatic ever since. I just got tickets to see them in Columbus Ohio on 8/29. It will be my 47th Rush Show. Can't Wait! Sorry for the hijack. Keep the pics coming.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
therapist

So,how do you FELL about your ride?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fell? hmm....came close, but kept it rubberside down! hehe

It was the best ride of the year by far. Now I need toget my campin g stuff sorted and the bike upgrades sorted and go out for a multiday exploration of West Virginia.

Of course, many more 14 hour days and I will need to grab an Airhawk pad to go with my Renazco....oww

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dirtduck
So,how do you FELL about your ride?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #24
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 1,031
[quote=chasbo]

Then it was 220 south and 50 west into Virginia and some sweet twities...
Interesting Marker Stone on highway 50, no idea what it means...

While I've never been to any of those places you rode (beautiful!) I have a hunch that those stone or concrete markers had something to do with the WPA---a lot of roads were built back in the '30s under the WPA... Just my guess, FWIW.

Nice report!

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, the WPA projects could account for the markers. I hadn't considered that. I am going to have to look that up. Thanks for the brainstorm!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #26
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 313
Great report and nice pictures!

I love taking Smoke Hole Road on my Super Duke. As long as you watch out around blind corners, it's a fun fun road.

Regarding Canyon Loop Road (or PR 13), it's one of my favorite roads in WV for a dual sport bike. I've only done it once on the Adventure and I was missing my smaller thumper a few times. I avoided it today becuase I didn't want to run it on the Adventure alone. Goodness knows there are some technical areas on the State Park side and I wouldn't want to be out there alone if that big bike fell on me. I haven't droped it yet, but there's always that first time.

The funny thing about PR13 is some of the mud holes are big enough to consume an entire bike!

R Doug screwed with this post 05-16-2010 at 06:32 PM
R Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 313
Here's another section of PR 13 which you may or may not have reached.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #28
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

I made it through most of those no problem, the big deal for me was the scorp not hooking up between them in the mud. Pretty squirrely. Gonna put on a pair of Dunlops and go tackle it again, but this time from the other direction. I would rather ride up the sketchy sections than down them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doug
The funny thing about PR13 is some of the mud holes are big enough to consume an entire bike!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #29
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

That creek was the original goal. No problem, I will get there next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doug
Here's another section of PR 13 which you may or may not have reached.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
bbooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo
Up and over the Eastern Coninental Divide (I crossed the divide something like four times in all this day)...

It is not as tall as the one further west, but full of some beautiful views for sure!
It may not be as tall as the one further west, but it does get its fair share of snow. These shots are from February of this year.

Glad the conditions were a little better for you! That's a great area. The riding & outdoor opportunities are pretty much endless!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

bbooker is offline   Reply With Quote