User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
vanpelt999 OP
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Oil Cooler For XR650l / XR600R

I ride a 08 XR650L that I bought new in june of 08, The first thing I notice was at times it felt like I was riding a BBQ grill instead of a bike, I search the web to find how hot was to hot, some said 275 deg, some said 300 deg, all agree change the oil ofen. Bought oil temp gauge, and it was common for me to see 275 and couple of times 300, this can't be good, Its not!!!
Spent alot of time looking for options, seen the XR400 cooler being put on the bikes, looks good, and for the folks that took the time and effort had made it look like a factory install, But at a big cost $$$, Seen the automotive style trans cooler being put on, Cheaper thats good, but I ride my bike out in the middle of nowhere and alot of times by myself and those type cooler are fragile.
I got to talking to several people and they gave me alot to think about, First you can over do it with a cooler design, never letting the oil temp warm up to a good temp, 210-220 range, the cooler needs to be rock solid,
and it needs to work.
Having access to machines to play with my ideas and on the 3rd try we came up with a solid billet alumimun T6061 that just flat works.
Posted a picture of my bike last summer and several guys seen it and ask me to make them one, they all love it. I,m am seeing temps 30-50 degrees cooler, and it works the best off road.
The highest temp I have seen with the cooler is 250 degrees and that was out on the super slab for a 40 mile 80mph run.

I,m offering them 3 ways

Cooler with angled 1/4" ntp fittings,,,,,,, you plumb the rest $200.00+shipping

Complete cooler with push on style hose ready to go on the bike $230.00+ shipping

All blinged out, same complete cooler with stainless braid over the hoses and pretty hose clamps $275.00+ shipping

danny.volpert@sbcglobal.net
I have a PDF file of the install I can send anybody that wants to see how detailed it is to put it on the bike, Just pm me with your regular e-mail address.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...

vanpelt999 screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 03:39 PM
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
tarzan30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
could you post the capcity increase for this cooler

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Can you show how it was mounted?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
vanpelt999 OP
08 xr650l

capacity

Capacity is 2-3 oz.
I know where your going with this,,,,,, before the cooler I was adding oil everytime i checked it,,,, since running the cooler there has been 2-3 times in 7000miles that i felt like i needed to add any. I change oil 1500-2000 miles.
another thing i notice is before cooler when i changed oil it would be dark black and drip like water, now with cooler its not near as dark and it looks like oil instead of water.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan30
could you post the capcity increase for this cooler

Thanks

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
vanpelt999 OP
08 xr650l

install

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Can you show how it was mounted?
look at top picture of my bike,,, mounted to the skid plate and use longer bolts though the cooler holding it to the skid plate.
p.s The longer bolts,,,,, I supply those too, part of the kit.

PM me your e-mail address and i can send you a PDF file of the install.

Danny

Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,865
Just wondering how the passage ways/ routing are machined into the block of aluminum

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
vanpelt999 OP
08 xr650l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Just wondering how the passage ways/ routing are machined into the block of aluminum

Steve

Under each fitting there are 3/8" holes that run down the sides just about to the bottom of cooler. then there is 8- 1/4" dia. holes that run across cooler connecting the 3/8" feed and exit lines.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hey Danny, hey guys like us all we have temp problems so after I saw the Vanpelt oil cooler and hearing from one or two other riders who bought one I took the plunge. My first concern (as many) was the placement of the cooler and how tough it was. I didn't want to hit a rock and smash the cooler to hell and be stuck with no way out. After I recieved the cooler I could see that the cooler is built solid and in my opnion is if I bust that thing open I think that oil leak will be the least of my worries. I think I will be on an adventure to the emergency room. So lets just say I do bust a hole in the cooler and I am good to keep riding this is what I do. I disconnect the long hose from the engine and secure it to the frame somewhere away from the exhaust so it will not melt. Then I use the short hose and connect it to the oil line from the frame oil tank to the oil line going into the engine on the lower right side of the engine can be reconverted in a matter of minutes. By the time I got my cooler it was already cooling down up here in Louisville, Ky but in 50 degree weather if I remember correctly it stayed around 205 degrees in the trails and on the slab I don't think it went above 215 degrees. here is a picture of it installed.

Hope this info helps you guys out it's a good cooler I recommend it
Brian
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Gentlemen,

I've had a Vanpelt cooler for about 8 months now, before I got the cooler I talked to Danny and he told me that after I ride with it for a while he wanted me to make an honest post whether I like it or not. This is what I have to say about it:

First off, when you hold the cooler you can tell how solid and strong it is. I ordered mine with all the hoses, bolts and hose clamps that I needed to install it. It came with directions that tell you everything you need to know. You might need to buy a small pipe cutter, but you can get those at Advance Auto or Pep Boys.

The installation is easy, and doesn't take very long at all, maybe an hour or two.

Now for what you really want to know...
(With stock gears, and an XRs only Temp gauge)

Riding on the highway for an hour at 65 to 75MPH:
Before the cooler I would easily hit 280 before I had to slow down and let the motor cool off.
After the cooler my temp went to 250 and stopped rising, even when I kept it at 80MPH for ten minutes just to see what would happ en.

Riding in "regular around town traffic" and commuting to and from work:
Before the cooler sitting in traffic or commuting in stop and go traffic my temp would get around 250 by the time I got home.
After the cooler when I get home my temp is 210 or lower.

After I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket the temps dropped even more. Now when I ride to work(30 minutes on the highway) at 70 or so, 220 is as high as the temps get(on my XRs only gauge and on my Vapor) when Im moving. When I get stuck in traffic on a hot day 236 is as high as the oil temp gets.

When I ride in the rain the temp wont go over 180(15/42 gears) or 185(stock gears) from the rain coming off the front wheel.

Riding tight technical trails
Before the cooler I would ride until I hit 250 then stop for a while and let the bike cool off
After the cooler I ride until I want to take a break because I never went over 220.

Other points to mention:
If you actually manage to punch a hole in this cooler and haven't trashed your bike you can disconnect one of the hoses from the cooler then reattach it to the original oil line and presto you are back to stock.

You're going to need a skid plate to mount this cooler, but hey you should have one anyway.

It doesn't take much more oil (sorry, I didn't measure)

It's cheaper to get one of these then to get the XR400, hoses and connectors-plus everything is already gathered up.

I installed mine when I changed my oil.

Overall I am VERY happy with this cooler and honestly recommend it to all of you fine gentlemen.

Here it is on my XR650L.

If you have any questions about it please feel free to email me.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Oh man this raise is making me want all these nice things for a mildly road rashed bike. I'm down for an all out fancy stainless and sexy hose clamps. PM incoming.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
vanpelt999 OP
08 xr650l

5/22/10 TAT ride

Took my big girl out for trashing yesterday and ended up riding a good portion of the trans america trail in Arkansas, 90 degree day.

Ended the day with 430 miles and 12.1/2 hours in the seat.

out on the trails I was keeping an eye on the temp gage and for the most part the cooler was keeping the oil temp at 215-220,,, on some of the fast switch backs going up some of the 2-3 mile hill climbs the temp would climb to 225-230, once to the top and going back down the temp would fall about as fast as it came up. sure was nice not having to worry about over heating.

After close to 8 hours into the ride we stopped for a bite to eat and to top off on gas, we decided to blacktop it back to town, we were looking at 150-170 miles back running all 2 lane black top, rode it non-stop all the way back and the temp came up to 230 only spikeing one time to 235, while we were playing with a sport bike that couldn,t shake us. the whole trip back 60-65 mph with 15-48 gearing.

The cooler sure did add to the enjoyment of the day,, not worring about over heating the big girl and just enjoying the day.

vanpelt999 screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 10:53 AM
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Got mine about a week ago and man that thing looks freakin bullet proof. The instructions look fairly simple but I simply havent had time to do as much. I'm walking and the means almost riding.

Awesome
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Complete cooler with push on style hose ready to go on the bike $230.00+ shipping

I want this one. Cash is on the way.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Tagnahoor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59

Danny, sign me up for one with the fittings. How do I throw money at you?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
luodanli
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I see this thread has been inactive for a while. Any chance these are still available? Temperatures are going to be rising soon, here in New Mexico.
luodanli is offline   Reply With Quote