User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
pilot.to.be
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Honda XR650l Oil Cooler

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a rather clean(even had original tires) 2004 Honda xr650l w/ 3000 miles. In the first month that I have owned it, it has been most fun I have had on 2 wheels in a long time. I like to improve upon where the manufacture leaves off at times, and it seemed to me that the motor ran rather hot here in Central TX, 100+F, specially after long stints on the highway. I plan to make the motorcycle into a leaner more adventure friendly machine. So, I did a little research and found that other people, had wondered why big red had left an oil cooler off the drawing board as well. If one looks at the XR400, they will find an oil cooler. Look at other similar built machines from suzuki, the dr650...it has an oil cooler. Perhaps Honda figured it was unnecessary, as they did engineer/design the bike, and I have full faith that Honda knows what they are doing, but perhaps red tape got in the way...or was just an economical burden for them. They seemed to have an idea when they added the sweet wings on the tank, don't think it was aesthetic reason...as they are a little silly looking. And with oil temps running in the high 200's F, I don't think a oil cooler would hurt.

I looked around and found a few alternatives offering a solution. I found the VANPELT oil cooler to be a nice durable design and rather simple to install. I was also already planning on installing a skid plate, so that was not an issue, as the cooler works best mating with a flat surface. Also aluminum is a great thermal conductor, which is what both the cooler and skid plate are constructed. I also used thermal paste that I picked up from local Radio Shack to aid in heat transfer, as the skid plate now acts as a large heat sink.

So here are some pics of my bike with the oil cooler installed. The oil cooler is made by inmate vanpelt999 out of his very own machine shop in Arkansas. He was very easy to work with. I mailed him a check, and 2 weeks later the oil cooler arrived at my door. He was even kind enough to send me progress reports via multimedia text messages. I have noticed a drop of about 30-50 degrees F in oil temperature. On average, after half hour commute on the freeway in 90-100F weather, the oil temp is around 200-230F. Much more comforting than getting to work and reading an oil temp of 270! And to boot, the oil cooler looks great, almost a factory look component. Thanks for the cooler Danny. Mike.
Attached Images

pilot.to.be screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 04:39 PM
pilot.to.be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #32
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,968
I had this cooler for quite a while before I put it on. I just got back from riding the continental divide and can say without a doubt that this is an excellent product.
That- "radiator between your legs"- feeling is gone. At 1400 miles my oil was still so clean that I could barely see it on the dipstick. At 2500 miles it is barely dirty.
You don't need a temp gauge to tell that this cooler is working, you can feel it.
It is reasonably priced, durable, simple, and IT WORKS.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
sambking
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Trying to get in touch with the guy that makes these....

Has anyone been in touch with the guy that makes these in the recent past? I sent him an email and a PM and have not heard back from him. Looks like a great piece of equipment and I am outfitting my XR for a long ride this Spring. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
sambking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
Rocket_Rookie
Learning the ropes!

Oddometer: 53
Hi guys,

I mailed Danny as well, in the hope of buying a cooler.

I have not yet recieved a reply.

Would any of you mind to PM me the dimensions of one of these coolers?
I am trying to create my own design, but would like to know what size I should be making it...

I do not have a bash plate on my bike, and would like to know if this design will work without a bash plate....

Regards,

RR

'92 Honda XR600R
Rocket_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #35
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
^^^ I'm with RR, interested too, and willing to make my own - for the OP does not respond.

Anyone reading here and having one of these, please post some basic sizes, like thickness, height & width?

Of course I prefer to buy - if Danny still browses here pls react on this.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
rboe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I'm interested too!
rboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #37
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,968
7 inches wide
4 1/2 inches tall
1 inch thick.

2 holes through it to bolt through the skidplate.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Thanks Rufus,
that is all I needed.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
sambking
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Danny Volpert - XR650L oil cooler fabricator

FYI.....
In case anyone wants to contact Danny Volpert, the designer and manufacturer of this great oil cooler, below is all his contact info. I hope he does not mind but more than a few people have messaged me through ADVrider and I don't check in that often...and I don't think Danny does either. When I tried getting in touch with him I had to do some sleuthing but was able to find his company's facebook page (link and info is below). I called his work phone number and got him that way. It was much quicker than waiting for a reply through ADVrider which was how I tried initially as most here have. Hope this helps all potential buyers and for sure it will help Danny connect to potential customers....although he may find himself busier than he may want to be but in my book that's a good problem to have.

Also, I hope this (posting business info) isn't against the rules for ADVrider. If it is, please let me know and I will edit to ADVrider requirements.

Happy trails(!),

Sam

From their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tech-T...061009?sk=info

Company Name: Tech Tool & Supply
Location 6121 Carnegie Dr, Sherwood, AR 72117
Hours Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 am

About:

Industrial Cutting Tool Distributor - HSS/Carbide Grinding & Sharpening

Description:

Tech Tool & Supply was formed in December of 1999 by Mike Burk & Danny Volpert with a simple goal in mind; to bring back customer service to our customers cutting tool and shop supply needs. Our dedication to this concept has set us apart from our competitors.

In the field, Danny’s specialties include tool recommendations, evaluating production lines, & custom tool designing. A machinist sin...See More

General Information
Email ttsupply@sbcglobal.net
Phone 501.834.5656
sambking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Thank you Sam, much appreciated, mail sent to Danny.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #41
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

.... but Danny does not reply
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #42
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I just sent a PM to him and found this thread shortly after.

Has anyone bought one of these or heard from Danny lately? Looking to possibly get on the list as wanting to buy one of these.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #43
pilot.to.be
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
oil cooler disappearing act...

Hello all...prob lost interest by this point in time. Sorry about late late late response. I dont check the forums often. It appears Danny has left the oil cooler business. It would be simple, I would think to make something similar at a local machine shop...or the GS Mark oil cooler looks to be another solid choice. good luck with your searches. My cooler has been great....almost 15k miles, a fair amount off road, since install...no problems and such a simple design. Working on usd fork swap now with a set of 2009 crf450x forks...I'm excited. Mike
pilot.to.be is offline   Reply With Quote