User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
undersea4x2
Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer: 274
Morocco..........MMMMMMMMMMM!

A long way from where I live but when I see a RR with "Morocco " in the title I have to have a look...............................

Fantastic shots so get on with it and lets see some more.

Cheers
Under

But how to dance in the rain.'

My RR's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482773

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tassie
undersea4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
Seba1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Thumb

BRAVO STEF !

HI, I just saw your Morocco posts,from our trip.

Tomorrow I will pick up my new PC,install the Windows 7 and all the programs and by the end of the week I will send you all the videos and photos,sorry again for the delay.

We dedefinetly need to ride more.Let's go trough Africa

Best Regards to you and Geert.

Seba
Seba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Hi Seba, nice to get some news

I'm telling you we should do Budapest - Bamako!

Catch up soon
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok ... after a few days of chilling in Merzouga we decided to go to Zagora. There is a piste that takes you there which is quite infamous. Everybody we spoke to who did this route seemed swear a lot while describing it. Everyone thought they could cover it in a day but nobody did.

After a few beers we thought let's do it. But we'd gotten so tired from doing nothing for a few days that as soon as we hit the first sand we decided to double back and just take the tarmac. I felt very unhappy about this decision despite the fact that I was the making this decision. From now on we'd only be riding North and I felt the holiday was "over" and all that remained was tarmac back home ... But I was wrong!

We arrived just before dark at our destination, the Biker's Home in Ouerzazate, its a place run by a Dutch guy called Peter who lives here and it's a great place. We washed some clothes, ate something that was not a "tagine" or an omelet and chilled out on the roof. He has a garage for parking and full of tools so you can do some maintenance on your bike if needed.

Some pics from the route to Ouerzazate (I think ...)

Jan and I somewhere in Morocco - good man!

Geert, Peter, Tomak and Seba1

Tomak near At Benhaddou

While planning this trip Geert and I decided to meet up with some guys from UKGSER forum but when we got to Morocco it seemed they were a day ahead of us and we couldn't catch up. At the Biker's Home, late one evening a guy showed up with a busted bike and it turned out to be Thomas, an Irish guy who was one of the ones we were meant to meet up with - total coincidence! Turned out his bike was not as busted as he thought so he set off the next day feeling much better than the evening before. A Czech guy, Martin, who we were meant to meet also turned up the next day and together with him we did our last serious day of riding

Here is Czech Martin and Peter waving off Irish Thomas on his fixed up KLR

stef25 screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 02:07 PM
Old 05-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

While having some snacks outside Ait Benhaddou Martin showed us a route to Marrakesh on his map he planned on taking; "all tarmac" he said. That was total bullshit, it quickly turned in to a red dusty track with some beautiful views (thanks Martin!). I was grinning ear to ear, happy that we could still get some dirt under our tires before going home. This was an excellent ride with a few hairy turns and a lot of beautiful views.

My bike is as happy as I am here

Local kid on my bike. These guys were way more chilled out than their friends in the Atlas. I had to strongly encourage him to crawl on my bike. They were very polite, very nice kids

Yours truly ...

The piste "ended" here back on the main road between Ouerzazate and Marrkesh. From the distances on the signs one should be able to find it on a map. I think this was the start of Tichka Pass (Tiz'n Tichka)

Tichka Pass involves a good tarmac road with hundreds of sharp turns. There is quite a bit of traffic on this road, both local and tourists in rented 4X4's. Bikes are the fastest on this road and I think we pissed off a lot of drivers tailgating them and then doing some hairy overtaking ... still good fun. The TKC's (by now with maybe 3000Km on them) let me lean in to the turns as far as my nerves could handle; these tires definitely did not fail on tarmac at all.

Seba1 and Geert

We found a campsite (probably "the" campsite) in Marrakesh on the main road to Casablanca - Le relais de Marrakesh (map). It's a little outside of town, clearly sign posted and close to a McDonalds. It's got a pool and a basic restaurant. The food was so-so and breakfast took absolutely ages to arrive. Other than that it was ok, decent wifi is available and so are good hot showers. They had no more rooms but we could set up our tents no problem. I didn't actually have a tent so just slept outside on my thermarest (strange how addicting that gets). Geert had no tent either so "borrowed" some thick leather cushions from the pool to make a bed. No probs here.

The main "Jmaa el Fnaa" square in Marrakesh. Was a bit of a disappointment. Waaay to much hassle from the locals (dudes following you for 30 min trying to sell dope), drugged up cobra snakes ... too much tourism here. Fez is much better.

Cat taking a nap on a "Moroccan GS"

That's it from me! All in all I was surprised and amazed by Morocco. I've traveled and biked a lot in SE-Asia and Central Americ and always thought I had to go far from home to see cool stuff. Morocco was pretty much the most beautiful country I've visited.

It would be nice to be able to do this trip without, or with a lot less luggage. I had little off road experience before but have since done some more and realize now the luggage really limits what you can do with these bikes. Next time I'll try to pack even less.

Seba1 filmed A LOT of video from his helmet cam in full HD and must have 100's more pictures. I'll leave it up to him to continue this thread

stef25 screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 02:35 PM
Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
stevewall
n00b

Oddometer: 5
great photos of a great trip. this makes me very jealous as I sit watching the rain outside. Thanks a lot for sharing this experince.

Steve
stevewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #22
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewall
great photos of a great trip. this makes me very jealous as I sit watching the rain outside. Thanks a lot for sharing this experince.

Steve
I spend 320 days in a year staring outside thinking of my next vacation, I feel your pain
Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #23
SauS TaR-TaR
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 469

For This RR..

"The Road May End... But Brotherhood Is Never End..."
SauS TaR-TaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
KSGregman
Flying Close to the Sun

Oddometer: 37
It's ride reports like this that keep me coming back...and back..and back again...to this site. It is absolutely incredible to get a small taste of the adventures of others through pictures and stories.

Thanks for making my lunch break today entertaining rather than dull and boring!
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman
It's ride reports like this that keep me coming back...and back..and back again...to this site. It is absolutely incredible to get a small taste of the adventures of others through pictures and stories.

Thanks for making my lunch break today entertaining rather than dull and boring!
Thank you, that's what these trip reports are for
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #26
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thomas, pictured here on his bike posted his own trip report on this forum. It seems three different groups of Advrider members crossed eachother on this trip

Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
ERIC DN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Hi
Thanks for report, lot of memories

Eric
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote