Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #166
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Canadian customs are a blast aren't they? I had a student visa and everytime I go though it says I have a "paper" outstanding and have a bunch of questions for me...so much fun...never been ripped apart though(on the bike). It's all how you deal with them and answer questions.

Great trip though, but will never be able to travel the way you do, 500mi days just to reach way points for a vacation. I'd rather do 100 mi days and see a lot, than 500mi days and see very little.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #167
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 397
Hang in there kid, but it might be time to get a good meal and a room for a night to warm up and dry out for awhile! Stay safe and keep writing.

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #168
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Canadian customs are a blast aren't they? I had a student visa and everytime I go though it says I have a "paper" outstanding and have a bunch of questions for me...so much fun...never been ripped apart though(on the bike). It's all how you deal with them and answer questions.
Yeah, I think it was my "No, we don't have any mace.. but you're saying that if we did it would be illegal? " that got our van searched. We needed to walk the dog anyway.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #169
Boogie
This way...

Oddometer: 31
I'm curious to know if you have been abducted by a well meaning Newfoundlander and "screeched-in" yet?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #170
old crow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Great report. I was up in Newfoundland & Trans Labrador Highway a couple of years ago. our trip was late August & Sept. had better luck with the weather than you seem to be having.
The people are great - the scenery is fantastic.

** Did you resolve the engine fade/loss of power problem? **
'97 K1100lt
'99 F650
old crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #171
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil

Here's one without my ugly mug blocking the falls. Canada is right on the other side of the river.

There they are. The enemy. They may look like us, even live among us, but they're not normal. They're....Canadians

I had a border guard tell me that once.... "we can spot everyone except Canadians.... until the say eh"

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #172
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
I'm on the ferry heading back from Newfoundland. I came. I saw. I got rained on.

Crossing a river in Nova Scotia

Are ya'll sick of seeing pictures of my bike or what?

One of the guys at the ferry said "Why the heck are you riding a bike to Newfoundland in May?" I said, "Lack of planning."

strapped in for the ride. The crew won't touch the bike. They provide straps but for insurance purposes they can't help you lash it down.

It was after midnight when the ferry docked. I had to find a place to camp in the dark. 1/4 mile out of the ferry I saw a sign that said service road so I pulled down that and pitched a tent. I got a little stuck the next morning....

I went up the hill too far trying to turn around and the rear wheel went in a 4 wheeler rut. I had to remove the boxes so I could pick up the back end. I made sure I could pull the boxes with 1 wrench when I was putting the racks together last year. I welded the nuts on the inside so I wouldn't have to empty them. The preparation really payed off that night.

It was steep so I turned the handlebar in the way I wanted it to go then pulled the rear out and got out of the way. I shot out then I picked it pu and rode out.

I headed north to Gros Morne National Park on the western coast of Newfoundland. The ferry docks at the far southwestern corner so I rode 200 miles up the western coast.

I asked the lady at the visitors' center how much campsites were. She said "$25" I was proud of myself. I didn't laugh. Not even a little bit. I'll be sleeping in this glorious wilderness FO FREE thank you very much.

I found a way into the woods right in front of a road sign. I planned on staying there for a few days so it was important to find a landmark. It can be impossible to find your campsite in 20 miles of forest where everything looks the same.

This one had a trail full of moose prints. This was 5' in front of where I parked my bike.

MMMMMMmmmmmm! Milk Duds!

I figured I was parked right next to the Moose Super Highway. I turned my mirrors around so my bike could blend in with the local population.

Then the rain came and I spent the night mopping water out of the tent.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #173
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The next day it cleared up for a bit and I went hiking. If you ever wanted to know what it'd look like to hike on Mars come to Newfoundland.

I went over a hill and the scenery changed immediately.

I hiked to the coast. It was wiiiiindy.

The wind was blowing so hard I could barely keep the bike on the road. It fell over in the parking lot while I was standing there. I had to turn the bike into the wind to keep it from going over.

If you don't believe me about the wind just ask the trees

I had to cross a ditch to get this shot. The sporty wouldn't have made it.

Here's one of the fishing villages along the way. I met a lady at the diner and she said they had whales that came in the harbor all the time.

A guy in the parking lot was staring at my bike. He said 'You're a long way from home! What kinda bike is this? " I said it's an old BMW. He said 'Wow, you really are from Georgia, aren't you?' Whaddaya'll reckon he meant by that?

I got back to the tent right as the rain came in. I was wet, the tent was leaking and it got down to the upper 30s. No sense whining about it, it's my own fault for not getting that tent in Connecticut. I knew I'd never get to sleep so I got as comfortable as I could and waited out the night. When the sun came up around 6 I packed and left. I did the 250 miles back that morning and got there before the ferry left at 11.

I saw a moose on the way out. I even got a pic with him right behind the bike but I figure ya'll know what my bike looks like by now.

A nice rainy day shot.

I hit patches of fog so thick that I had to slow down to 30 and it rained most of the way. The bike never stumbled a bit. Either that spray did the trick or the boot on the coil that I adjusted is keeping the water out now. I was exhausted. I'm really grateful the bike didn't give me any problems this morning.

I'm on the ferry now. Internet on a boat, what will they think of next? The free coffee is keeping me conscious right now. I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight. All my gear is wet including my sleeping bag but hotels were over $100 a night in Nova Scotia when I checked last week. It's going to be another uncomfortable night. You know what they say, "If you're gonna be dumb ya better be tough!"

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #174
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 245
Be on the lookout for B&B's. You could end up renting a room in someone's house for far cheaper than a hotel. We had really good luck in North Sydney doing that last summer.

Did you see any of the stuff about the old Newfoundland Railway? It was narrow gauge because it was easier to ship narrow gauge cars and engines across the water... but that also meant they were tippy. There are a lot of pictures of the trains lying on their sides along the West coast due to those crazy wind blasts. They pulled most of the tracks once the highway was finished.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #175
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
My wife was born in ST. Johns on a US Air Force base. She wants to go for a visit. I might ride up and have her fly in for a few days. She would not want to ride there from TX.

I'm really enjoying your report. Keep riding and writing.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #176
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
I might ride up and have her fly in for a few days.
Come in June or July. All the locals have told me the weather's crappy the rest of the year.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #177
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
Come in June or July. All the locals have told me the weather's crappy the rest of the year.
Yeah, that's what my father in law has said. They lived on the second floor of a duplex and I"ve seen old photos of the snow up to the bottom of their windows.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #178
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,929

BTW, if you ever need a dry place in NE TN, you are welcome here at HappyHouse.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #179
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,856
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #180
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,353
Did you drink some Newfie Screech?

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R