Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
mariowink
Comfort Rider

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
Can anyone say how long a soaked shirt will last, even under a typical textile jacket as in the video? I guess the duration would depend on humidity as well?

I suppose the idea when riding distance would be to carry a water source to keep the shirt wet? But, dousing with water would tend to run down the skin and wet the inside. Has anyone used this approach to 'recharge' while riding?
When riding long distance you recharge the cooling system by running water down the inside of the sleeves. The fabric has a dual layer and the inside layer will pull the moisture off the skin and keep the skin dry. Watch the video and see how the fabric works. http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdesc....htm#fabricvid
Even when the fabric is wringing wet the inside will stay dry.

The dryer the air the less airflow you need to keep cool. Yes the cooling technique works in the higher humidity. You just have to run a little bit more air. You can chill yourself with this technique when it is 95 degrees out.
I use a water bottle with a push/pull cap to squirt water into the sleeves to recharge. I do NOT recharge while riding. It only takes 30 seconds to recharge the LDComfort Long Sleeve Shirt or Comfort Cool Sleeves.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #17
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
mariowink,
thanks for the details. on hot days (95?), how often do you stop to recharge?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
on hot days (95?), how often do you stop to recharge?
I recently purchased from www.goaz.com headliner, both long and short sleeve shirts and pants ... so I could experiment.

I wore the headliner the entire time.

The long sleeve shirt and pants did great. On the day ride out I ran into rain (originally without rain gear) and high humidity ... I was very comfortable.

Then for two day local riding around St Louis with high humidity, I wore the short sleeve shirt and shorts. I was comfortable all day without any additional soaking (except my headliner) though I noticed I felt the heat and humidity on uncovered skin. So the LDComfort did great to reduce the high humidity discomfort too!!

I wore the long sleeve shirt and pants for return two-day trip home with temperature around mid-90s.

I found the evaporation with my mesh jacket ( which is not the optimal because it causes faster evaporation ) would last ~90 minutes.

I found the evaporation with my mesh pants would last ~120 minutes ... longer because of the fairing protection.
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
peterb
Long Distance Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
...like a charm

Mario - great to see you at the Utah 1088 - I rode 1400mi on Sat and had a good time. Even tho I saw some temps in the 90's later in the day on the southerly leg, I was comfortable in my LD Comfort tights and shirt - worked like a charm.
Now, on the road home to SoCal things heated up a bit more and I saw some consistent miles [200?] with temps in the 113-116 range - the water was applied [inserted] as recommended and at least I was a bit less hot. Let's face it 116 is hot! The LD Comfort made it bareable, at least.

YM shouldn't V.

2000 BMW 1150 GS with >165k miles and more to come...

2007 BMW R1200RT - new 4/08 with >145K smiles ...
peterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
video

Interesting video. I don't doubt that the product is an effective garment for dealing with hot temperatures. However, the gent's assertion that mesh gear is not a good solution to the problem is not backed up with any evidence. In fact, the video does not compare LD to mesh at all. The key to cooling is evaporation. A zillion years of evolution has given us this temperature regulation mechanism. It works with a cotton shirt or any number of the new technical fabrics. In the end, it comes down to stopping for wetting anew your undershirt. I wear a mesh riding suit and in the summer I experience dry temperatures approaching 100 degrees. My mesh suit allows me to do this, so long as I make sure evaporation is taking place. I think it is a bit of a stretch to argue that the Bedouins cover up in the desert, so riding in a mesh suit is a no no. The comparison is not cover up as opposed to ride naked. You are covered with a mesh riding suit!
I'll say again that I have no doubt LD Comfort garments are effective. But there are other viable options.
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
KMmoto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I think his point is that when wearing mesh gear in dry/arid regions, your sweat will evaporate more quickly. Over an extended period of time this can lead to dehydration. By wearing material like the LD comfort, the material is creating the cooler atmosphere where you will be less likely to perspire and you can easily "recharge" it by soaking it in water again. Wearing a mesh jacket over the LD comfort will also cause the moisture in the material to evaporate more quickly than if you were wearing a full textile jacket that has less breathability.

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Not just for cooling

I have been useing the LD shorts for 3 years now.
Before I got them 150miles ws killing me.These shots took me out to 650+ a day and ready to get back on the bike the next day.
These shorts made a huge diffrence in my riding comfort.No seams to rub you raw.
If I had to guess the LD material is at the minimun of twice as thick as all the other shorts you find.Very heavy weight and keeps you from vibrating around.

Just my 2 cents but some of the best money I have ever spent.

Sean
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #23
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,941
Eek Flying Access...

...best part of LD shorts in my liking is they have a handy dandy pouch fly that makes accessability through riding trousers easy...
There are no sports or other riding undies, (even from Aerostich though they do sell some good briefs) that have a fly at all. Just B.S. cycle shorts sold as moto-wear.
What's up with that? Did anyone even think of you may want to stop and take a leak? Yeah, that's what I wanna do...stop and un-snap, un-zip, and pull my trousers down to my knees so I can un-leash. NOT!
Reminds me of a certain Men's Room in Burbank airport....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,879
I never did like the fly on my LDComfort shorts. The opening is pretty narrow and it half chokes off the flow so those last drops dribble down my leg.
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
I to am a big fan of LD Comfort, works great in the heat and cold.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #26
UncleHowie
Dances with Buffalo

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
I never did like the fly on my LDComfort shorts. The opening is pretty narrow and it half chokes off the flow so those last drops dribble down my leg.
Just be glad they're made out of a "wicking" fabric!

Worn with mesh gear, you'll be dry in a couple of miles...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #27
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,941
...well, point is there is a fly, as compared to motocross or other spandexy riding shorts. I guess they are made for young dudes who just hold water longer...

Me, I like the pouch fly. Not so many right angles to snake through, less pinching and zipper abrasions...o.k., too much information.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,862
I recently spent some time riding in the deserts of So Cal. I am now reviewing my kit, assessing the importance of each item; I thought that I would share my love of LDComfort undergarments.

When you spend 12 days riding through all sorts of climates, several things come to light as important or unimportant. My LDComfort shirt and shorts (or long johns) were in use every day of the ride, and in one case I didn’t take them off for three days straight due to below freezing conditions. I now consider LDComfort gear essential to every ride.

The LDComfort tights are designed to keep you warm, similar to any other set of long johns. It is clear a lot of thought has been put into the construction of the bottoms. The seams are placed well away from your “seating area” to reduce chaffing, which is very important on long rides. They also provide a very nice barrier if you use knee braces. I did not experience “monkey butt” or chaffing on the trip, this is due to the superior dual layer material that stays dry on the inside.

The Dual Layer Fabric
“Many factors can cause rider discomfort. Moisture retention can create an environment that softens skin and promotes bacteria growth. Any irritation added to soft skin like seams or chemicals can cause abrasions and rashes. Any of these situations can lead to ending your ride due to pain.” – LDComfort

The long sleeve shirt is the crown jewel of the LDComfort product line. It keeps you warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s HOT. Spring time in the desert; mid morning temperatures creep into the 80’s and 90’s in the afternoons. The trick to staying cool in HOT weather is to pour water into your sleeves and around your collar. The next trick is to CLOSE your vents and OPEN the cuffs of your jacket. This sounds counter intuitive when you are in hot weather, but it works! Air entering your cuffs flows across the moisture on the surface of the dual layer LDComfort shirt and cools your body. It is truly amazing. If you open all your vents or use a mesh jacket, your shirt will dry out too quickly and you loose the cool micro climate inside your jacket.

I have been wearing LDComfort shorts for a few years now on adventure rides, as well as trail rides and enduros. I am very excited to add the tights and long sleeve shirt to my permanent kit.

You won’t regret adding LDComfort to your kit.

http://ldcomfort.com/
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
This is why I absolutely love this forum, I always find stuff that I had no clue even existed.

This is now definitely on a list of things to get for summer commuting. I do have a question though, if the outer layer is wet, does it wet insides of your gear (jacket / pants)?

I'm planning to wear a leather suit, and don't know how well it will take up to being wet from inside. I figure that in a leather suit I'll be sweating like a pig anyhow. Still, does anybody wear leathers with this undergarment? I plan to get the shorts, long sleeve, and sleeves for just commuting.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
steve112z
AdventureIam

Oddometer: 23
Pissed Be Careful buying here

If you have a question about the size you might wear, BE CAREFUL. They have a exchange policy - If you opem the package for any reason and need to exchange they jack you a 15% fee...And the shorts never touched my skin. Their exchange policy - having my own business for 25 yrs - customers aren't treated that way. Unless you want NO return customers. And this is one! There are more company's that make these, if not better quality.
steve112z is offline   Reply With Quote