User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #16
Camel15
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Here are some more basic steps prior to doing anything drastic:
1) drain ALL the old fuel, tank, carb bowls everywhere you can and get fresh gas in it.
2) with the float bowls off the carb turn on the fuel and see if it pours out. if it does clearly you have something stuck in one of the carbs...address that by flicking the float up and down wit you fingers and if gas still leaks by take it in for a carb rebuild.
3) if gas is fresh and carbs floats ok. then pull a spark plug out, stick it back in the wire, lay the threads on the cylinder head and hit the start button. YOu should see a spark jumping across the plug. If so, then try the other side (put the first one back in before goign to the other side). if no spark then take it into the shop and have them trace the reason (short, wires, diode, coil...)
let us know when it fires and waht the culprit was!
Camel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
can't get to the bike till sunday. I am going to try all of these things. Sucks having a bike in New england sometimes, they just sit there over the winter. Got to ride them more!

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Fuel

Has anyone mentioned draining the tank and putting in FRESH FUEL? The gas today goes bad pretty fast. I'd put my money on a fuel/carb issue.
BTW, when I know I'm not going to ride a bike for more than a month, I drain the fuel and put it in my car, and put a couple gallons of AVGAS in the bike, run it for a few minutes, and shut it down. I have no idea why, but AVGas is good for years.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,334
Check airbox for mouse nest.

Really.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #20
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Check airbox for mouse nest.

Really.
I was tinkering with mine after a long winter and some construction guys were working near the garage. I found a dead mouse in the box and made a big production out of pulling it out with tweezers and saying loudly "I'll be damn, so that was the problem!" They were in awe.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
where to start....

First your mechanic is well I'd start shopping for a new one, I'll just leave it at that.

Others have said it, I'll say it.
You need Gas, Air, Spark.
You're bike is not getting one or more of those.

I would guess (and I start with) Gas, mostly becasue it's often the reason, and thankfully the easiest to check.

Tank the tank off the bike, clean that sucker out, pull the petcocks clean those.
Replace the fuel lines, pull the carbs and give them a full on cleaning,
Including the jets, the needles, the floats and the float valves.

Then put all that stuff back together and back on the bike except for the tank

Now you want to start looking at and cleaning up all the related electrical connections.

You'll be looking at the wires going to the starter, the coils, the grounds to the frame and the ground from the battery, make sure the hot side of the battery is good as well. (That means a clean, dry and solid connection)

Starter motors need a ton of juice to turn the engine over. It's your job to make sure they get that.

Once that's done then check to make sure you have spark.
remember Gas is flammable, very very flammable. don't have any liquid or fumes floating round while you are testing for spark.

Pull the air cleaner check to make sure that there are no blockages,
Dog food, mice, nests, skunks, hoary marmots, birds, or anything else blocking the passages from air intake to carbs.

now put everything back together.

Give the carbs a base line adjustment. the idea being is that they should work the same, with the slides lifting at the same time. (worry about the balancing them once the bike is running and you can)

Do a valve inspection, Confirm that they are where they should be.
I would not torque the heads at this point, your just looking to make sure they monkey who worked on the bike last didn't screw it up.

Now button every thing back up. and try it again.
My guess is it should work.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

Pos

Well, it finally started with a very leaky right carb. ran like shit. It kind of stopped leaking, but the bike just sounded like it was not getting enough gas. Had to really open the throttle to keep it running. But gas was coming out of where the spark plug sat on top of the cylindar and it was smoking!
Valves were fine.
It could be just something stuck in the the carb, but I have never torn into them. I am now pass my frustration and mechanical ability level. Off to mechanic it goes. PIA.
I will hop on the DR and it will be all good.
hard to type with grease on your hands......
the other strange thing was the black ground wire connecting coil to coil was off on one side. Didn't start till I reconnected it, but I think I am looking at carb issue..............

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

okay,
I am relaxed now.
Meditating on a Guinness.
I think this is sign from above that it is time to rebuild the carbs or at least inspect and clean.
Floats are about 6 or 7 years old and in 8 years I have never opened the carbs. 25 years of motorcycling have avoided carbs till now. I think it is time to face them lots of math here.
Just feeling like gas is backing up in right carb. right petcock is also leaking and has been for a while.
Thanks Squish for all the helpful hints.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
okay,
I am relaxed now.
Meditating on a Guinness.
I think this is sign from above that it is time to rebuild the carbs or at least inspect and clean.
Floats are about 6 or 7 years old and in 8 years I have never opened the carbs. 25 years of motorcycling have avoided carbs till now. I think it is time to face them lots of math here.
Just feeling like gas is backing up in right carb. right petcock is also leaking and has been for a while.
Thanks Squish for all the helpful hints.
Carbs are cake. Keep your Sunday Globe one week. After work one night, spread it out on the kitchen table. Get a muffin pan and mark the bins 1 through 12.

Buy the BMW rebuild kit. It'll have a bunch of little Orings and slides. Test your floats before you buy them.

Buy the book from Bing for $29 and you'll have a guide to taking them apart and putting them back together.

One night, after you've read the book from your right hand while you held a carb in your left hand, sit down and start disassembling the carb. Put each little disassembly task in a bin in the muffin tin, starting with bin 1. Inspect all the little brass bits to make sure they're clean and clear. Resist poking them out with random items. Resist replacing them. You live near sea level, so you can use the factory parts if they do need replacement.

Read the book and carefully put the carb back together. If you get confused, you have the other carb as your reference.

It'll cost you about $100 bucks, including the Globe and you'll learn how carbs work in the process. Cheap schooling, my man.

PS: You can do it.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Carbs are cake. Keep your Sunday Globe one week. After work one night, spread it out on the kitchen table. Get a muffin pan and mark the bins 1 through 12.

Buy the BMW rebuild kit. It'll have a bunch of little Orings and slides. Test your floats before you buy them.

Buy the book from Bing for $29 and you'll have a guide to taking them apart and putting them back together.
Normally I don't recommend that book, but if it's the first time you've ever been inside of a carb it's great. easy to follow, and it's talking about these carbs so you don't have to guess what this dohicky does or whatsat do.

As Kabasa said carbs are cake. Just take your time.
I like to do one side at a time, that way if I screw something up I can see how it works on the other one.

One more thing, I've heard it said that your local BMW dealer is cheaper for bing parts then Bing is.
However if your getting the book just get the stuff from them. it's easier that way.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #26
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys,
Will do.
Pulled them off last night. Wow, are they anciently dirty on the outside. Can't wait to see the inside.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #27
MacRunch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Carbs are not rocket surgery! As previously stated just do them one at a time, and take your time. As for the grunge, here's a link to a technical article on soda blasting the grunge from carbs. http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-o.../soda_blaster/
It's green and best of all, it's Cheap!

For less than $5, assuming you have an air compressor, you too can have bright shiny carbs. Buy the baking soda at a $1 store. One box should do one carb.
MacRunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
25 years of motorcycling have avoided carbs till now. I think it is time to face them
There's almost certainly the source of your problem. My airhead sits for months at a time and she always cranks right up when I get back to her. Reason: Last thing I do when I leave is always to pop the float bowls off and dump the gas back into the tank. The last few drops from the bottom usually has some fine sediment in it so it gets dumped (and I do have some quality in-line filters fitted.)

Get your carbs cleaned up. Important points are to make sure the pilot jet pickup is not plugged (tiny hole in the corner of the float bowl), probably change a couple of O-rings too. Depending on mileage, while you've got it apart, replace needle, needle jet and diaphragm.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

back to the bike

Okay, finally have time to get back the bike. Had my mechanic sit with me and help me take them apart. Some o-rings where toast, needle new, and throttle shaft thingy/o-ring. needed replacing. yeah.........
anyway, I have been trying to re-assemble them now.
First issue:
trying to get the jet needle/o-ring back in so far is tough. I already destroyed one new o-ring trying to put the needle in. it seems the o-ring needs to be put in first, then the needle screw. (sorry can't provide pics right now for any of this.)
However, the needle does not want to go back in all the way. You have to delicatly push in back in the needle through the o-ring so the threads of the needle will match up with the carb. I eventully got the needle in past the o-ring, but the threads are not lining up correctly and I am afraid of stripping the threads and or destroying another o-ring. I seem to be on a roll with that lately.
It feels like you have to push the jet needle really in far for the threads to line up. seems to be some sort of trick to get them in there.
If I can get past this part, I can get everything back together and fire her up today!
any advice???