Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Highway 37 Stewart-Cassiar Highway - Paved?

Hi Everyone,

I have purchased the 2010 Milepost. Great informaiton, but just wanted to ask for the latest update if Stewart-Cassiar Highway is paved from Kitwango to Highway 1.
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Metalking00
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I was just about to post the same thing. From what I've read, parts of it are gravel, but I cant say if thats changed or not since it was written. If someone knows, I'd also appreciate the update.
Metalking00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
I rode it last summer, and its mostly paved or chip seal, a few short sections had gravel, and as always there was some construction on it. Most of the gravels spots were north up near the Yukon border
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
There was a bit of construction at various points and a bit of a longer chunk north of Dease but it's a piece of cake. I'd do it on a Goldwing without hesitation.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
stuie
Whip n' Ride

Oddometer: 61
Totally easy, completely worth it, not to me missed road...period! The ride is essentially a cakewalk, you just have to be careful of a LOT of bears....checking them all out will eat into your cocktail hour....we saw more bears on that highway than any other place up there...

Stuie
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Howie82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Was up there last July. Very easy ride that ANY bike could do. If you're a bit uneasy about gravel, just slow down and take it easy. It's not like you'll be holding up traffic. Make sure you stay in Stewart/Hyder then your next day should be to Watson Lake. Take your time, remember, it gets dark at 11:30. Gas up at EVERY opportunity. There is no gas at Meziadin Junction. As for wildlife, I saw plenty of bears around Hyder and up to the Salmon Glacier but not so much as a squirrel all the way up to the Yukon. Be careful though, unlike the Alaska Highway where they cut back the trees well away from the road, the sight lines around corners are minimal on Hwy 37. Hint: Don't take your helmet when stopping for a break. The bugs will carry you away.
Have Fun!!
Howie
Howie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How is the road from Rt37 on Rt37a to Stewart/Hyder?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Howie82
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski
How is the road from Rt37 on Rt37a to Stewart/Hyder?
It's all paved and totally amazing. Stop at the Bear Glacier and take a photo. If you're hotelling it, stay at the King Edward in Stewart. Save some money and stay in the hotel side. Good food, very clean and has a laundrymat. Soft sided camping is not recommended due to the bears.
Howie
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you all for great info.
I'm planning to tent it as much as possible.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie82
Hint: Don't take your helmet OFF when stopping for a break. The bugs will carry you away.
Have Fun!!
Howie
Think that's what you meant to say.

The bears along the Cassiar seem to come out the heaviest around evening. On one trip up that way in early June I got to see a Kermode just south of Meziadin Jct in the morning, a grizz between Mez Jct and Bell II shortly afternoon. Another trip, this one in August, I saw 4 blackies about to cross the road and one young grizz that I had to aim for to chase back off the road - in about a 20 mile stretch.

Have seen many, many more on the Alcan, but in early spring when they were just out of hibernation.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
I did all of that last year on my Wing. Absolutely no problems in 4400 miles of great riding. All of the tips posted above are spot on. For my ride report, go to http://tbhyder2009.blogspot.com which has day by day narrative and pictures. It was a GREAT trip. 75 degrees during the day every day. Your results may vary.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Howie82
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Think that's what you meant to say.

The bears along the Cassiar seem to come out the heaviest around evening. On one trip up that way in early June I got to see a Kermode just south of Meziadin Jct in the morning.
Apparently I just missed the Spirit Bear spotted between Kitwanga and Hazelton. When I was talking to the Customs Officer in Stewart about it he said he had hiked and explored the area his whole life and never seen one.
Howie
Old 05-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie82
Was up there last July. Very easy ride that ANY bike could do. If you're a bit uneasy about gravel, just slow down and take it easy. It's not like you'll be holding up traffic. Make sure you stay in Stewart/Hyder then your next day should be to Watson Lake. Take your time, remember, it gets dark at 11:30. Gas up at EVERY opportunity. There is no gas at Meziadin Junction. As for wildlife, I saw plenty of bears around Hyder and up to the Salmon Glacier but not so much as a squirrel all the way up to the Yukon. Be careful though, unlike the Alaska Highway where they cut back the trees well away from the road, the sight lines around corners are minimal on Hwy 37.
Yep the 37a is a must see and all paved, right up to the national border into Hyder. Not a big deal once there. Going up to the Salmon glacier is certainly doable on a Wing ut you have to take your time and pick your line in a few places. But you are rewarded.

The Salmon in the AM.
There is also the Nation Park bear watching platform that they now charge to go on but you will almost always see something and usually more than one bear on the road between Hyder and the Salmon. Same holds true for the road between Meziadin and Stewart.
The Cassiar is just flat out awesome riding on the lower half I'd say. The road has been paved in the last 3-4 years (guessing) and it's curvy and gorgeous and just a lot of fun to ride.
The dirt will happen always at the Stikine River approaches where the hill is a bit steep and I've heard they will never pave for that reason so trucks can navigate it during the winter.

There is always (or so it seems) some gravel sections south of Dese lake and lastyear that was a few miles long. Nothing technical just a gravel road. (with heavy equipment along the side)

Going north, the last biggish section of Dirt is just south of the Alcan. (North of Jade City) They are straightening the road. (in the spirit of "we've got to destroy it to save it.")

You can see the connecting end of the new road in the distance.
All doable on pretty much any bike provided you don't mind sitting for long hours and you use decent judgement about speed and line and such.
It was a big, big highlight of our trip, just behind meeting Alcan Rider.
Stop at Sally's, the restaurant at the junction of the Cassiar and the Alcan. Good road food. Good people.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski
Thank you all for great info.
I'm planning to tent it as much as possible.
As previously advised, there's LOTS of bears of every type up and down the Cassiar. Camping bear-safe is a must.

I lucked out a year ago, saw a wolverine on the road when I was making a business trip to Iskut.

If you are comfortable with gravel, and/or it's dry, take the dead end road from Dease to Telegraph Creek and check out Mt. Edzerza and the Stikine canyon.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote