ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #5761
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
the difference between the self-employed and employed....
we all want to get the best deal but we forget the price for that deal....

ur local shop charge 20$ more but also give 2 to 3 local jobs... paying local tax and for much more that we all enjoying..

my 2cnt

Well said Danny..

And in my industry, what I lose to the internet the customer doesn't get the same quality of product. Also they still expect free estimates, free phone information, free installation, and everything that used to be the American Way

If it really is that easy to be a motorcycle "stealership" then why not jump in and do it yourself?
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #5762
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Well said Danny..

And in my industry, what I lose to the internet the customer doesn't get the same quality of product. Also they still expect free estimates, free phone information, free installation, and everything that used to be the American Way

If it really is that easy to be a motorcycle "stealership" then why not jump in and do it yourself?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #5763
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,217
Cool2

I get my tires from Motorcycle Superstore, no tax, free shipping to my door. Then I install them on my garage floor with my trail tools so I know I can do it on a ride. Never even consider the local economy, but then I'm a cheap basturd. Explains why I ride a 1989 POS. Now if you want to talk local jobs, I just moved the company I worked for to Mexico, effecting 300 jobs including mine!
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #5764
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post

I have never heard that it's easy to be a motorcycle dealer.

Here's another look at the 'dealer' scenario. I've spent a lot of money with my local independant bike shop. When I need a valve shim he trades me for the ones I don't need. Last time he was out of the size I needed so I had to drive 30 miles to a bigger dealer and they did have what I needed and charged me $7. I was glad to get the part, but where am I gonna go next time I need something? To the 'stealership' or to my 'guy'? That's what I thought. Am I short changing the bigger dealer by supporting my local little guy?

And when I want something out of TR or PU he gives me a price that's competitive with the online sellers. I've found quite a few places that do this and so they get my business. They make a bit less than retail but they get the sale instead of it going to an internet distributor. But you know, all of those internet distributors started out as a 'self employed' little guy too. They got big because they were smart and were able to garner a lot of customers.

I heard that MCSS and their conglomerate bought out White Brothers in Yorba Linda for like $25 mil. They also own Vance and Hines so now WB exhausts are sold thru Vance and Hines. Bit by bit they are taking over manufacturing and distribution of parts and accessories, looking to dominate the market. Apparently they have a LOT of money behind them. If I can get a 'deal' there I'm probably going to buy some stuff there too.

This is like a car dealers whining about trying to make it. They charge full-boat retail for parts I can buy from a more competitive dealer that sells on the internet, or from an aftermarket parts distributor. Am I going to just pay 25% more because they are down the street from me? I'm not, would the rest of you?

I've been in to Crevier BMW for car parts and they charge retail at the parts counter but discounted through their internet site. If I'm going to buy from them, why would I not order online and save myself the $$? When I had my Duramax, Selman Chev would charge twice as much for stuff I could order from a GM online seller.

I don't think I'm short changing anyone by buying where it benefits me. It's what makes the world go 'round.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #5765
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer View Post
I get my tires from Motorcycle Superstore, no tax, free shipping to my door. Then I install them on my garage floor with my trail tools so I know I can do it on a ride. Never even consider the local economy, but then I'm a cheap basturd. Explains why I ride a 1989 POS. Now if you want to talk local jobs, I just moved the company I worked for to Mexico, effecting 300 jobs including mine!
no work comp insurance to pay or local tax in Mexico.....

sorry for your job
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #5766
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have never heard that it's easy to be a motorcycle dealer.

Here's another look at the 'dealer' scenario. I've spent a lot of money with my local independant bike shop. When I need a valve shim he trades me for the ones I don't need. Last time he was out of the size I needed so I had to drive 30 miles to a bigger dealer and they did have what I needed and charged me $7. I was glad to get the part, but where am I gonna go next time I need something? To the 'stealership' or to my 'guy'? That's what I thought. Am I short changing the bigger dealer by supporting my local little guy?

And when I want something out of TR or PU he gives me a price that's competitive with the online sellers. I've found quite a few places that do this and so they get my business. They make a bit less than retail but they get the sale instead of it going to an internet distributor. But you know, all of those internet distributors started out as a 'self employed' little guy too. They got big because they were smart and were able to garner a lot of customers.

I heard that MCSS and their conglomerate bought out White Brothers in Yorba Linda for like $25 mil. They also own Vance and Hines so now WB exhausts are sold thru Vance and Hines. Bit by bit they are taking over manufacturing and distribution of parts and accessories, looking to dominate the market. Apparently they have a LOT of money behind them. If I can get a 'deal' there I'm probably going to buy some stuff there too.

This is like a car dealers whining about trying to make it. They charge full-boat retail for parts I can buy from a more competitive dealer that sells on the internet, or from an aftermarket parts distributor. Am I going to just pay 25% more because they are down the street from me? I'm not, would the rest of you?

I've been in to Crevier BMW for car parts and they charge retail at the parts counter but discounted through their internet site. If I'm going to buy from them, why would I not order online and save myself the $$? When I had my Duramax, Selman Chev would charge twice as much for stuff I could order from a GM online seller.

I don't think I'm short changing anyone by buying where it benefits me. It's what makes the world go 'round.

u correct, it makes the world go round.... and Klammer's employer want to Mexico because the world is rounder over there...

PS
did u ever had to buy insurance for your employes, pay for time off or just run any type (small or big) business?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #5767
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post

PS
did u ever had to buy insurance for your employes, pay for time off or just run any type (small or big) business?
I help manage a $15M enterprise but I don't own it. Guess that doesn't count. We still have to be competitive in our marketplace. I'm probably paid 20% under scale but I get to be a big cog in a little wheel that's 4 miles away instead of a little cog in a big wheel that's 30 miles away. Hope I can keep my job.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #5768
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Oddometer: 6,055
As long as labor is $1/hr in Mexico and China. Labor intensive jobs will move there. My BIL works for a company that opened a plant in Mexico. After 2 years they closed the plant because they could not get quality product out of the door.

I WILL NOT BUY FOOD FROM CHINA. Check you will find it in the grocery. I will spent extra to get a quality product. When I talk about spending extra money I am talking apples to apples (exact same product for different prices).

I have three local shops that I spend my MC $$ at. They all know that I could buy over the net. They also know that if they want to charge me 20-30% more than I can get it over then net I am gone. Most match the net prices (plus local taxes). When they can't meet the price they ask what else they can do. In those cases we work something out. Normally I buy something that I want, but didn't need and we come to an agreement.
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #5769
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Quote:
I help manage a $15M enterprise but I don't own it. Guess that doesn't count. We still have to be competitive in our marketplace. I'm probably paid 20% under scale but I get to be a big cog in a little wheel that's 4 miles away instead of a little cog in a big wheel that's 30 miles away. Hope I can keep my job.

as long as u get to clock in or out then no, it just a job....
i have general manager and 4 clinic managers (each clinic has manager) none of them missing night sleep when cash flow is slow.

i hope for u that u can keep ur job 2

now lets change the subject to something more positive like the new health care
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #5770
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
As long as labor is $1/hr in Mexico and China. Labor intensive jobs will move there. My BIL works for a company that opened a plant in Mexico. After 2 years they closed the plant because they could not get quality product out of the door.
In the tech industry everybody tried to setup their support center in India. Most have brought them back because it just didn't work.

My wife is a recruiter and can't get a job. We think it's because she's getting close to 50. I dunno what we're gonna do, our budget is setup for 2 incomes. Anyone wanna buy some cars and bikes and shit? Fire-sale prices?

I'm with danny. Let's talk about motorcycles.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #5771
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #5772
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post

How the fuck did you get a pic of my wife???

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #5773
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Quote:
In the tech industry everybody tried to setup their support center in India. Most have brought them back because it just didn't work.

My wife is a recruiter and can't get a job. We think it's because she's getting close to 50. I dunno what we're gonna do, our budget is setup for 2 incomes. Anyone wanna buy some cars and bikes and shit? Fire-sale prices?

I'm with danny. Let's talk about motorcycles.
I got my L dialed in. She is now sitting on street shoes. WOW, I can't wait to hit Decker Cyn. Maybe I need to go looking for some squids and hit Decker.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #5774
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,205
Quote:
I like tits.

That is all. I'm out.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #5775
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Quote:

Sorry John. Got any more pictures of her.