ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #5986
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
We have done the 24 hour at glen helen 3 times on XR 200 1 time on CRF 230 more fun then you imagine. No cage required. Think 3 or 4 bikes make a class?
now that sounds like fun...XR200 is an under rated bike...RFVC model
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #5987
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Sweet!

johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #5988
johngil
Reseda, CA

Happy Friday!

Bottle Cap Blues from chris sumers on Vimeo.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #5989
johngil
Reseda, CA

Old 06-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #5990
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,870
Wtf!!!

I had my first superbike experience today, rode my friend's '08 R6 from Covina to his place in Long Beach. About 30 miles on freeway. First thing first; I fall in love with my bike (990 Adv) once again after riding this toy. I used to "not like" street bikes but now I HATE them... I cant understand why people buy those bikes and torture themselves.
Maybe, or probably, I was doing something wrong. Here is my experience with R6:
When I sit on it, I didn't know where to place my ass. When I tried the front of the seat, my balls were on the gas tank and I got scared to smash them. I moved my ass back towards the end of the seat but I was very unnatural there as well. I feel like a giant riding a kids bike. I felt like I was sitting on a piece of log. I felt like I had no control over the bike, I couldn't "squeeze" the bike with my legs to feel secure, therefore I was always scared that it will kick me up the air.
Basically riding position was horrible. I felt like crippled trying to ride it. Handlebars was too narrow and tilted. My wrists were bent all they can and they still hurt. When I lean down on the gas tank, I felt like my helmet was over the wind screen, on the front tire. As I said before, it was like a toy bike.
What about performance??? I was cruising on the freeway at 88mph (speedometer) at 8K rpm. I get that speed little over 6K rpm on my adventure. I get 80mph (GPS) around 6K rpm. For couple times I though I was on 4th or 5th gear. I know there were still a lot of twist all the way up to 16K but It felt weird. I am sure 88 mph has a huge error margin since everybody on the freeway was going at the same speed. At one point I thought it was 88 kph not mph. I know I can go well over 100mph at 8K rpm on my 990Adv.
What is wrong with me? I know it is too late now to ask for tips on how to ride a street bike but I feel weird. I think my body is just not designed for a street bike. BTW, I was riding it with my KTM Adventure jacket, KTM gloves and Shoei Hornet DS helmet. Didn't blend.
After riding this R6 today, I made up my mind about street bikes, I hate them and will never sit on one unless it is a life and death situation...
I love my comfortable, powerful and fast 990Adv.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #5991
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I had my first superbike experience today, rode my friend's '08 R6 from Covina to his place in Long Beach. About 30 miles on freeway. First thing first; I fall in love with my bike (990 Adv) once again after riding this toy. I used to "not like" street bikes but now I HATE them... I cant understand why people buy those bikes and torture themselves.
When I sit on it, I didn't know where to place my ass. When I tried the front of the seat, my balls were on the gas tank and I got scared to smash them. I moved my ass back towards the end of the seat but I was very unnatural there as well. I feel like a giant riding a kids bike. I felt like I was sitting on a piece of log. I felt like I had no control over the bike, I couldn't "squeeze" the bike with my legs to feel secure, therefore I was always scared that it will kick me up the air.
Basically riding position was horrible. I felt like crippled trying to ride it. Handlebars was too narrow and tilted. My wrists were bent all they can and they still hurt. When I lean down on the gas tank, I felt like my helmet was over the wind screen, on the front tire. As I said before, it was like a toy bike.
What about performance??? I was cruising on the freeway at 88mph (speedometer) at 8K rpm. I get that speed little over 6K rpm on my adventure. I get 80mph (GPS) around 6K rpm. For couple times I though I was on 4th or 5th gear. I know there were still a lot of twist all the way up to 16K but It felt weird. I am sure 88 mph has a huge error margin since everybody on the freeway was going at the same speed. At one point I thought it was 88 kph not mph. I know I can go well over 100mph at 8K rpm on my 990Adv.
What is wrong with me? I know it is too late now to ask for tips on how to ride a street bike but I feel weird. I think my body is just not designed for a street bike. BTW, I was riding it with my KTM Adventure jacket, KTM gloves and Shoei Hornet DS helmet. Didn't blend.
After riding this R6 today, I made up my mind about street bikes, I hate them and will never sit on one unless it is a life and death situation...
If by street bike you mean sport bike then I agree. But there are many comfortable and awesome street bikes that don't have you humping the tank or riding in other "unnatural" positions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #5992
FYYFF
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
If by street bike you mean sport bike then I agree. But there are many comfortable and awesome street bikes that don't have you humping the tank or riding in other "unnatural" positions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I mean sport bikes... Very uncomfortable...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #5993
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Yeah, I mean sport bikes... Very uncomfortable...
You mean race bike...
It takes real skills to ride them fast....
You would need a track day to ride understand
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #5994
FYYFF
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
You mean race bike...
It takes real skills to ride them fast....
You would need a track day to ride understand
Sport bike, race bike, what ever they call them... Speed is not my problem, ergonomics is.
It was an R6.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #5995
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Apples and ORANGES my friend.

A high-revving machine is a beautiful thing in the right hands. My little yellow rocket revs all the way to high heaven- somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,500rpm... yeah. So, it sounds like you've learned that sportbikes (or 'super sport' bikes) are not designed for commuting. Just don't tell that to 90% of the people that buy them.
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #5996
FYYFF
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Apples and ORANGES my friend.

A high-revving machine is a beautiful thing in the right hands. My little yellow rocket revs all the way to high heaven- somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,500rpm... yeah. So, it sounds like you've learned that sportbikes (or 'super sport' bikes) are not designed for commuting. Just don't tell that to 90% of the people that buy them.
They are fun and comfy to watch...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #5997
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,323

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5998
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
I like it!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #5999
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,525
Quote:
the R6 is probably, almost, the perfect sport bike out there.
you need to know how to ride em and also have it set up for your size/height.
as you know, it is an inline four, not a twin.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #6000
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
3 in the first !

Look but don't touch, yet !

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote