ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #6691
jamin_mathis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
HOVER BIKE!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/hover-vehicle-...171401941.html

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

Isn't it fucking great being around at these times we are living through a time period as important as the industrial revolution.... And half our generation is nostalgic for a time they never lived in, I don't get it... It's hard to take in all at once and not sound like a dip shit but we are the luckiest brats the world has seen up to this point. As Sir Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."and we live in a time where the world has built a latter to those shoulders (the internet) it pains me to think I won't live to see where it goes and stokes a terrible envies in me for the young.

I want a fucking hover bike!!!!

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #6692
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis View Post
Isn't it fucking great being around at these times we are living through a time period as important as the industrial revolution.... And half our generation is nostalgic for a time they never lived in, I don't get it... It's hard to take in all at once and not sound like a dip shit but we are the luckiest brats the world has seen up to this point. As Sir Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."and we live in a time where the world has built a latter to those shoulders (the internet) it pains me to think I won't live to see where it goes and stokes a terrible envies in me for the young.

I want a fucking hover bike!!!!
Exactly. The problem I see is that the Generation Y kids, or rather Generation Whiner kids, behind us aren't going to invent shit because Google or Wikipedia didn't just give them the answer.

Push your kids beyond the "everyone gets a trophy" BS that they are coddled with in school today or we're doomed. Plus, I want to be able to retire some day instead of being forced to work until my last day due to the fact that everyone behind us isn't smart enough to actually work.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #6693
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Thanks man, are you a Dr.? You sound like you know stuff I really appreciate the advice
Sorry, should have justified my statement with my qualifications. Physicians Assistant - US Military trained and practicing - tend to aim my thinking more toward the practical side of medicine, because ideal doesn't always happen.

Tetanus is ugly so get updated. Actually for most of the hard core riders that let their bikes take naps occasionally it is the sticks that were lying in the dirt jabbing into the riders softer parts that is a real worry because the Tetanus bacteria live in dirt.

Whooping cough too as you saw by that video. BTW - the common name for the Whooping Cough in adults is the 100 day cough. Ask your Grandparents about it if they are still alive. Adults don't always have that classic sounding cough. They sometimes just cough for three months and spread it around. Adults are miserable, little ones die. Good case for immunization.

Jon
jkstehn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #6694
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Exactly. The problem I see is that the Generation Y kids, or rather Generation Whiner kids, behind us aren't going to invent shit because Google or Wikipedia didn't just give them the answer.

Push your kids beyond the "everyone gets a trophy" BS that they are coddled with in school today or we're doomed. Plus, I want to be able to retire some day instead of being forced to work until my last day due to the fact that everyone behind us isn't smart enough to actually work.

Totally agree... you have no idea how many of these kids I deal with on a daily basis at add agencies, marketing companies and design firms etc. etc...they crack me up. Seems most of them need constant guidance from their older superiors and never will make any "Executive" decisions on a piece about to go into production. They need constant reassurance and you can never hold them accountable when they screw something up (thats my biggest gripe) I Love when they demand I pay to re run something when they have already signed off on all the proofs and even press checked the job on press but they missed something in their legal disclaimer etc... of course they demand it for free because if their company has to shell our more $$$ their superior will be pissed....grow up and be accountable, Own your work fools.

ok rant over..and of course this is just a generalization.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #6695
jamin_mathis OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm sure this generation would have some negative things to say about the gen X work ethic

I might be crazy but I think things are getting better.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #6696
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
I'm sure this generation would have some negative things to say about the gen X work ethic

I might be crazy but I think things are getting better.
Got better............now it's gone too far in the opposite direction where all of these little fucks under 30 think they're entitled to something just because they have a degree. Fuck that shit. Take your degree and get an entry level job and work your way up and become something because of what you can do, not who you are or who daddy knows.

Degrees are a dime a dozen now with all of this education for profit crap on the Internet. You want to make something of yourself go spend four or more years getting a real degree, not a fake one online, or go get a good entry level position that pays crap right out of high school and work hard and be loyal and diligent in your efforts. That's where the payoff is and that's where self esteem comes from and PRIDE.

Gen Whine has no pride in themselves, their country or in making an honest living for an honest pay. Fuck those whiney little bitches. Our parents generation spent us into bankruptcy and now it's left to our generation to fix it for ourselves, sacrifice everything we've paid in, and only so that by the time we die, it's better for these little shitheads. We are not baby boomers/ genx'ers, we are the losing generation, generation "L".

You have a problem with your life now, don't blame Obama, bush, or Clinton. Blame your parents and grandparents for setting us on a course straight for the cliff. The brick is on the gas pedal, the steering wheel is tied off and no one can seem to realize all we need to do is turn the ignition off before its too late. This is true in the economy, the environment, the government and the way we let the next generations sit around and do nothing to help themselves and us for trying to at least reach the key.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:33 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #6697
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,307
As a worker of a job that cannot be mechanized or computerized or robatatized..... I've witnessed an unwillingness of youth to take it on , big pay and all!we get alot of mid 40s applicants but are unable physically....or suffer from old dog new trick syndrome and taking orders from a Forman younger than themit's gonna hit the fan soon and will have a huge impact on energy costs
Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #6698
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Got better............now it's gone too far in the opposite direction where all of these little fucks under 30 think they're entitled to something just because they have a degree. Fuck that shit. Take your degree and get an entry level job and work your way up and become something because of what you can do, not who you are or who daddy knows.

Degrees are a dime a dozen now with all of this education for profit crap on the Internet. You want to make something of yourself go spend four or more years getting a real degree, not a fake one online, or go get a good entry level position that pays crap right out of high school and work hard and be loyal and diligent in your efforts. That's where the payoff is and that's where self esteem comes from and PRIDE.

Gen Whine has no pride in themselves, their country or in making an honest living for an honest pay. Fuck those whiney little bitches. Our parents generation spent us into bankruptcy and now it's left to our generation to fix it for ourselves, sacrifice everything we've paid in, and only so that by the time we die, it's better for these little shitheads. We are not baby boomers/ genx'ers, we are the losing generation, generation "L".

You have a problem with your life now, don't blame Obama, bush, or Clinton. Blame your parents and grandparents for setting us on a course straight for the cliff. The brick is on the gas pedal, the steering wheel is tied off and no one can seem to realize all we need to do is turn the ignition off before its too late. This is true in the economy, the environment, the government and the way we let the next generations sit around and do nothing to help themselves and us for trying to at least reach the key.

+1

Our secretary's son, 21, failed out of Cal Poly, then fail out of Cuesta. "Not his fault", he was just diagnosed ADD , Cuesta let him back in. Failed again. "Not his fault", he is gay and they were picking on him.

He was "studying", going to school for business. He took an art class and did welding in the class. His instructors commented on his superb welding. His mom was asked why didn't he take up welding. "Oh he wants a white collar job, he doesn't want to have to work for a living".

For the last six months he has been riding the couch not doing a damn thing.

So much for the next generation.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6699
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
+1

Our secretary's son, 21, failed out of Cal Poly, then fail out of Cuesta. "Not his fault", he was just diagnosed ADD , Cuesta let him back in. Failed again. "Not his fault", he is gay and they were picking on him.

He was "studying", going to school for business. He took an art class and did welding in the class. His instructors commented on his superb welding. His mom was asked why didn't he take up welding. "Oh he wants a white collar job, he doesn't want to have to work for a living".

For the last six months he has been riding the couch not doing a damn thing.

So much for the next generation.
Where does the fault really lie here...

If any one in mi casa gon ride the couch it gon be me and that ain't gon hap.....

Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #6700
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Where does the fault really lie here...

If any one in mi casa gon ride the couch it gon be me and that ain't gon hap.....

The fault lies with parents for not pushinig the kid. And obviously the kid has no drive of his own. I was out of the house by time I was 16. I was going to do it on my own. It was a bit harder that way but I was able to do it.

F*CK CANCER
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #6701
jamin_mathis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
As a worker of a job that cannot be mechanized or computerized or robatatized..... I've witnessed an unwillingness of youth to take it on , big pay and all!we get alot of mid 40s applicants but are unable physically....or suffer from old dog new trick syndrome and taking orders from a Forman younger than themit's gonna hit the fan soon and will have a huge impact on energy costs
Between the heights and the possibility of getting fried I'm not surprised it's hard to fill those jobs.

I set up scaffolding when I was 16 for a stucco company in Miami I have a hard time thinking of a worse job, roofers would carelessly throw shit down off the roof that would sometimes hit you not cool when your 3 storys up on a 10" wide plank, the stucco would suck all the moisture out of hands and would create calluses so thick they would split leaving deep painful wounds, it was over 100 all summer so we would start work at 5am to beat the heat and it was so humid that it would rain at 2 pm every day like a fucking clock. One day one of my co works took a step in the wrong direction and fell for 30' tried to catch him self on the next rung down dislocating his shoulder then hit the wall getting some vertical road rash and when he hit the ground he broke his hip... Just about then I thought I don't think this job is worth the $7.50/hr and I should go back to school and figure some shit out.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #6702
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Between the heights and the possibility of getting fried I'm not surprised it's hard to fill those jobs.

I set up scaffolding when I was 16 for a stucco company in Miami I have a hard time thinking of a worse job, roofers would carelessly throw shit down off the roof that would sometimes hit you not cool when your 3 storys up on a 10" wide plank, the stucco would suck all the moisture out of hands and would create calluses so thick they would split leaving deep painful wounds, it was over 100 all summer so we would start work at 5am to beat the heat and it was so humid that it would rain at 2 pm every day like a fucking clock. One day one of my co works took a step in the wrong direction and fell for 30' tried to catch him self on the next rung down dislocating his shoulder then hit the wall getting some vertical road rash and when he hit the ground he broke his hip... Just about then I thought I don't think this job is worth the $7.50/hr and I should go back to school and figure some shit out.

Experience is a wonderful teacher isn't it? I got very lucky and got into a co-op program for engineering. When I was in school I would cruise next door to the 7-11 for a six of Bud. Next to me was a guy covered in coal dust. I mean he was covered, everything but his eyes and mouth. Everytime I saw that I put the beer back grabbed a coke (No Monster at that time, yeah I am an old fuck), and went back to studying. Weekends for me were swinging a hammer framing houses, new consturction or large remodels.

F*CK CANCER
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #6703
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post

Yes, the pendulum has swung, as evidenced by students in our schools. If asked to take notes on a 10 minute PowerPoint/Presi discussion involving short phrases, terms, images, video clips, and lots of Q&A, they inevitably ask "so, what should I write'? Cognitive processing of concepts is not required to excel. The "brightest" students in school are the ones who memorize well, and they need a paragraph to copy in order to know what's going on. Thought is too time consuming when teachers are under tremendous pressure to prepare students with monstrous volumes of facts for the high-stakes STAR tests that dictate their personal & institutional ratings.

(Most of) today's students do not perform for themselves. You're right, NMBMN, there is no pride. They only sometimes perform for the teachers they like. They know they do a favor to teachers when they test well. There is no intrinsic motivation to succeed. Everyone moves ahead regardless of effort. If not, they wait till the inevitable helping hand plunges into their failing life and drags them toward graduation. "Failure is not an option" and "Whatever it takes" is the current teaching manta. Teachers are required to be the safety net that removes the expectation of students succeeding the first time. They get endless do-overs and they know it's somebody else's fault if they don't learn.

Wanting a lot for a little is not unusual - it's called efficiency. Everyone should strive for it, and most do. The problem I see is that public policy allows unprecedented access to just that, because it makes people happy & gets "leaders" re-elected. Public officials who make people work for success aren't adored, nor are parents who do the same. Being your child's/constituents' best friend is the new norm. Selfishness at all socioeconomic levels pays off more now than ever because we cater to it so vigorously. Like a child who learns how to push their parents' buttons, the public has been conditioned to do what works = re-elect those who make them happy now, regardless of what it does to their or anyone's future - and there's so much at stake it may be irreversible.

So, anyone heard of any good riding lately?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #6704
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Experience is a wonderful teacher isn't it? I got very lucky and got into a co-op program for engineering. When I was in school I would cruise next door to the 7-11 for a six of Bud. Next to me was a guy covered in coal dust. I mean he was covered, everything but his eyes and mouth. Everytime I saw that I put the beer back grabbed a coke (No Monster at that time, yeah I am an old fuck), and went back to studying. Weekends for me were swinging a hammer framing houses, new consturction or large remodels.
Right there with ya. When I was in high school and a sophomore I used to load fiberglass and resin on the back of my Peugeot moped and ride down to Newport and walk the docks to find boats to work on. Opened a boat repair shop in HB when I was 17. By the time I was 20 I had a sailboard factory pumping out 2000 carbon/kevlar epoxy boards per year. When I was 25 I also started a snowborad factory that pumped out 20,000 snowboards per year at its peak. Between those two companies I also built 3 40+ foot yachts. As always, I found time to play and party hard, but biz has always been first and I've never cried about the chemicals, the smell, the sweat or the hours of owning my own company and all the headaches that go with it. I went back to (real) school when I was 38 and received my major at UCLA in Political Science and a minor in Middle Eastern Political History, spent about a year in law school after that and then recruited to Fedex to babysit 2700 whiners. Fuck that, and left to start an insurance brokerage. I now have a very cushy life, no dirt, no smell, no danger (other than pickling my liver). But I earned it and worked for it. All things in life worth having come from work, desire, patience, loyalty and PRIDE in yourself and what you do. Without any of those, success is a chimera, and short term at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
Yes, the pendulum has swung, as evidenced by students in our schools. If asked to take notes on a 10 minute PowerPoint/Presi discussion involving short phrases, terms, images, video clips, and lots of Q&A, they inevitably ask "so, what should I write'? Cognitive processing of concepts is not required to excel. The "brightest" students in school are the ones who memorize well, and they need a paragraph to copy in order to know what's going on. Thought is too time consuming when teachers are under tremendous pressure to prepare students with monstrous volumes of facts for the high-stakes STAR tests that dictate their personal & institutional ratings.

(Most of) today's students do not perform for themselves. You're right, NMBMN, there is no pride. They only sometimes perform for the teachers they like. They know they do a favor to teachers when they test well. There is no intrinsic motivation to succeed. Everyone moves ahead regardless of effort. If not, they wait till the inevitable helping hand plunges into their failing life and drags them toward graduation. "Failure is not an option" and "Whatever it takes" is the current teaching manta. Teachers are required to be the safety net that removes the expectation of students succeeding the first time. They get endless do-overs and they know it's somebody else's fault if they don't learn.

Wanting a lot for a little is not unusual - it's called efficiency. Everyone should strive for it, and most do. The problem I see is that public policy allows unprecedented access to just that, because it makes people happy & gets "leaders" re-elected. Public officials who make people work for success aren't adored, nor are parents who do the same. Being your child's/constituents' best friend is the new norm. Selfishness at all socioeconomic levels pays off more now than ever because we cater to it so vigorously. Like a child who learns how to push their parents' buttons, the public has been conditioned to do what works = re-elect those who make them happy now, regardless of what it does to their or anyone's future - and there's so much at stake it may be irreversible.

So, anyone heard of any good riding lately?
+1

Unfortunately, in order to keep people from failing it's just become easier to dumb down the success goals than to lift up the students to even greater heights. It's only a few years until our Chinese overlords will be herre to show us how it's done. Hopefully, it will only be an economic takeover and not a military one. Because if we have to rely on the current young generation to protect us, we're all fucked. That's why I keep my weapons clean and loaded.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:11 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #6705
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,708
Work ethic is what i instill in my kids, work HARD, overcome, adapt, pay attention, plan ahead & good things will come. I worked for my dad & busted my ass harder than any of the other guys, his buisness could have been mine but it was not what i wanted to do for the rest of my working lifetime. Went to school, got a degree which pretty much did nothing for me as far as a job went. But started from ground zero, worked my way up & relized i could do this on my own. Now im a just peon of my own corporation. BTW, yall have fun @ KM

RIDE ON!