User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Weep Hole Seepage

Is this the weep hole seepage everyone was talking about a while back?

It's definitely weeping from the small hole in the top pic that's right above the gasket line. Seems like coolant or something. I wiped some off with my hand and it didn't seem oily. Seemed dry. It's whitish colored. Seems like coolant. Am I fucked? Or is this a common thing with these bikes?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Coolant. Time for a new seal.
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Looks like they'd have to remove the cam cover to get at that seal.

Shit.

What seal is it?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

How many people have experienced this? Can anyone else chime in? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
my f8gs weeps oil from that hole... I haven't pulled off the water pump yet to check, i'll probably do it next week.

What I have notice is the extremely poor torque on all of the engine bolts. For example 3 bolts on the water pump were not even hand tight, when the bike heated up the pump would leak, re-torque / no leak, that's when I discovered the oil weep from the above hole. I also had oil leaks on from around the clutch cover, I loosened all bolts then tightened them up by tighten opposite sides, wow, no more leaks. Who ever assembled my motor either bmw or rotax failed on the day they did mine and the dealer "I was using" failed as well. So the golden rule want it done right do it yourself!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Yep. Been there done that. Seeped oil the first time and had to have the water pump replaced. Seeped coolant a while back but that was from the coolant hose that was too short and got replaced in a recall. I have noticed after a long spirited ride or some slow offroad when it's hot outside it does burp a drip or two of coolant every now and again.
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
How many people have experienced this? Can anyone else chime in? Thanks.
Mine is getting this same problem fixed right now.
Started a few days after I left for SA.
Was only intermittent, and didn't seem to get worse over four months and 20k.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Every so often mine will drip a drop or two of coolant. No biggie I guess. It's only done it twice in 10k miles. I'll have the dealer check it out when I take it in for the 12,000 service.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Stopped by my dealer with the bike today. I'm going to have it checked out on Monday. More than likely they'll order and install a new coolant pump. There's a mechanical seal in there I guess.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,832
Seals on both sides with a void in the center where the weep hole is. I believe. Made like this to separate the oil from the coolant. Unlike the KTM LC8 mill which when the seal goes, and it will, it dumps directly in the oil.

I must have gotten a good one because in 11k miles I have had 1 issue. Notta one.

Oh, I shouldnt have said that...............

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

My dealer has a new coolant pump on the way.

Again, I'm super pleased with the service at Hopkins Hitching Post!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

My bike is at the dealer as we speak for 6,000 mile service. Getting new fork seals as one of them is damaged and leaking under warranty. Switching over to AMSoil 10w-40 and a Mann oil filter. However, we (the BMW tech and I) decided not to do the coolant pump replacement. It has not purged since I started this thread. The BMW tech said he shot an email into BMW and the response was, "the coolant pump will purge from time to time intermittently. This is normal. It's the way the system is designed. If pressure builds up too high within the cooling system due to heat or atmospheric pressure, it will purge a bit if needed. The BMW cars have a 'catch' reservoir for the coolant pump weep hole on their engines. This is the way they are designed. Now, if the consumer was reporting constant purging or a leak somewhere, that would be a warranty issue. The random purge is actually the system doing what it's designed to due under certain circumstances."

So there you go. It's all good.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:

Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
My bike is at the dealer as we speak for 6,000 mile service. Getting new fork seals as one of them is damaged and leaking under warranty. Switching over to AMSoil 10w-40 and a Mann oil filter. However, we (the BMW tech and I) decided not to do the coolant pump replacement. It has not purged since I started this thread. The BMW tech said he shot an email into BMW and the response was, "the coolant pump will purge from time to time intermittently. This is normal. It's the way the system is designed. If pressure builds up too high within the cooling system due to heat or atmospheric pressure, it will purge a bit if needed. The BMW cars have a 'catch' reservoir for the coolant pump weep hole on their engines. This is the way they are designed. Now, if the consumer was reporting constant purging or a leak somewhere, that would be a warranty issue. The random purge is actually the system doing what it's designed to due under certain circumstances."

Mine did that in the fall. The big difference is that is looked more like the valve cover leak than what you show. They started to investigate the cover, but found that it was the water pump. They happened to have one in stock and did the seal at the same time.

My tech told me that it looked like my pump was over-packed with grease from the factory, and when it was hot enough, the grease broke down and became liquidy and then was purged. He also did necessarily fell the need to replace the pump, but they had it and it was authorized! Not a drop since (and that includes a huge trip in May).
Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Found a pic of mine: