Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
My bike is at the dealer as we speak for 6,000 mile service. Getting new fork seals as one of them is damaged and leaking under warranty. Switching over to AMSoil 10w-40 and a Mann oil filter. However, we (the BMW tech and I) decided not to do the coolant pump replacement. It has not purged since I started this thread. The BMW tech said he shot an email into BMW and the response was, "the coolant pump will purge from time to time intermittently. This is normal. It's the way the system is designed. If pressure builds up too high within the cooling system due to heat or atmospheric pressure, it will purge a bit if needed. The BMW cars have a 'catch' reservoir for the coolant pump weep hole on their engines. This is the way they are designed. Now, if the consumer was reporting constant purging or a leak somewhere, that would be a warranty issue. The random purge is actually the system doing what it's designed to due under certain circumstances."

So there you go. It's all good.
Shouldn't the cooling system "purge" in the expansion tank when they're enough pressure to slightly push the radiator cap seal open? I don't think it should purge through the pump seal.

Mine leaked oil a bit last year and I waited to my next oil change to get it replaced.
zaner32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
Shouldn't the cooling system "purge" in the expansion tank when they're enough pressure to slightly push the radiator cap seal open? I don't think it should purge through the pump seal.

ine leaked oil a bit last year and I waited to my next oil change to get it replaced.
Thats a good point JP.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #18
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32

Mine leaked oil a bit last year and I waited to my next oil change to get it replaced.
yeah, that explination sounds a little like BS to me.

That said, there is a service bulliten that states minor coolant seepage out this hole is ok.

On the coolant side the seal is a flat nylon seal, diaphram, and spring. Hard to describe, u would have to have one in your hand to understand.

This type of seal is very long lived and virtually never blows and leeks badly. They can however leak some but are sort of automatically able to reseal themselves after minor leakage and do often weep a little from time to time.

I can attest that many automotive water pumps only have a weep hole on top so they can hold and evaporate some coolant without alarming the customer.

If your water pump leaks oil, and it's not just over packed with grease, this is of far more concern.

I wouldn't worry about a drop of engine oil a month leaking, but more would concern me.

The seal on the oil side of the water pump is a standard cup lip seal, like any standard wheel bearing seal or almost any other oil seal.

This type of seal seals much better then the flat seal but once it starts leaking more then the tiniest amount, it usually blows and starts gushing shortly there after.

Summary: no coolant leakage to slight occasional weep, no more then a few drips a day, ok. Dribble or small puddle below bike, NOT ok.

Very small oil seepage, just enough to collect some dirt once a month, ok. Enough oil leakage to leave a run down the motor, NOT ok unless it is just the assembly grease running out thi first few times the bike gets hot.

Clear as mud?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Dieselnerd
Seasoned Citizen

Oddometer: 7
When I got my new F650 twin last April, it leaked a few drops of coolant on my first ride of about 30 miles. It never leaked coolant again.

Now the weep hole feels slightly oily but no oil or grease has ever come out.
Dieselnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
...there is a service bulliten that states minor coolant seepage out this hole is ok.
Yeah the BMW tech at my dealership said the same thing. There's a bulletin on it stating that minor seepage is ok. However, regarding the email: I read it with my own two eyes.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Also, radiator caps are not designed to purge. They seal pretty damn good. It'd take a lot more pressure than we're speaking of to blow by the seal on the radiator cap. However, given how the coolant pump is designed on this bike, it makes sense that it would be able to purge a bit when the pressure gets a tad too high.... I don't know. I just read the damn thing. I don't care. All I care about is that some seepage from time to time is normal.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I wasn't doubting you Griz, just what someone told you by email or however else.

Yes, occasional light seepage of coolant out the weep hole is fine, as well as it being wet with oil as long as it's not dripping oil down the side of the engine.

The radiator cap has a pressure relief function calibrated to relieve at 150 kpa. This is the same pressure most car radiator caps are set for. We even have a BMW tool for testing the pressure relief calibration of the cap.

The coolant pump is not designed to ever deliberatly dump coolant, but slight seepage is a byproduct of the very long life type of seal the water pump uses.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
I wasn't doubting you Griz, just what someone told you by email or however else.

Yes, occasional light seepage of coolant out the weep hole is fine, as well as it being wet with oil as long as it's not dripping oil down the side of the engine.

The radiator cap has a pressure relief function calibrated to relieve at 150 kpa. This is the same pressure most car radiator caps are set for. We even have a BMW tool for testing the pressure relief calibration of the cap.

The coolant pump is not designed to ever deliberatly dump coolant, but slight seepage is a byproduct of the very long life type of seal the water pump uses.
Interesting. The rad cap is designed to purge... good to know! As always, Joel, you're a great source if info, and a fine gentleman for giving it out so generously!!